Vancouver Info if needed

I have booked a pre-cruise tour that is in Whistler for 2 nites. We arrive in Vancouver of Aug. 14th-stay over in Vancouver and the next morning take the

train from Vancouver to Whistler.

Two nights in Whistler and then take a bus to Vancouver to start our cruise.

Would you recommend this, or would you stay in Vancouver for three nights instead?

Thanks

Simply would be your preference for City vs Mountain village. As Dennis says Whistler will be great..... Vancouver in the summer will also be special.

My personal opinion is that anyone coming to Vancouver, if they have the time should see Whistler, however given the amount of time that you do have 2 full days up there may be a “little over the top”. Whistler is gorgeous as is the trip up and back; I know every time that I go it takes my breath away but I think if I was you I would be looking at a one day tour up and back and use Vancouver as my base. Here is a link to a Vancouver/Whistler tour but I am sure that there are others as well. http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Vancouver is too great a city not to spend a few days here even if it comes at the expense of the Whistler leg of your Vacation.

Hi,

After over a week of research, I stumbled onto this webpage and happily turn to you. Here's the case: I booked RT transfer to/from Canada Place and YVR. It seems I won't be able to use the transfer from the airport to the pier b/c we are arriving in Vancouver the day before (May 13) cruise departure (May 14, 2008). So, our $50 transfer fee is lost. It seems the least expensive way to get from YVR to our hotel is by way of Airporter bus (about $13? pp). Once at our hotel, I don't want to dish out a lot more money to get around. I thought if we stay at a facility that provides area transportation, we could get from there to the pier Wed. morning at no cost. (I considered using a hotel near the airport that provides shuttle service, but then, I have a greater expense of getting from the hotel to the pier, don't I? I can't believe none of the airport facilities provide transports to DT. Or do city buses other transit run from Richmond areas to DT?)

My mother is almost 82 and can walk but not a great distance and not fast. Tour books state so many things are within walking distance of Canada Place, but I have to question who is doing the walking.

Additionally, I'd thought to have dinner in Chinatown on the 13th and stay someplace between there and Canada Place, so we could take the trolley tour in the morning and drop our luggage at the pier terminal before continuing on the trolley tour. By the way, the current rate for baggage storage with CDS in Canada Place is about $650 for a suitcase, much less for a carry-on. I found that on a website but can't find it again to share the info with everyone. If I do find it, I'll post.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice you may give.

TLS in IN

HAL Ms Ryndam to Alaska in 1999

HAL Ms Volendam Vancouver RT - 5/2008

Unfortunately you are about a year to early to take advantage of the transit system that is currently under construction from the airport to downtown so yes your best option is likely the Airporter. It is very hard to find a hotel downtown during the summer for under $150 but $150 to $200 is doable at the Best Western – Downtown on Drake St. (they may offer a shuttle to the cruise terminal), then there is the Blue Horizon and Pacific Palisades on Robson St., Holiday Inn on Howe St. and the Sandman Inn on West Georgia St. from any of these hotels your cab fare to the cruise terminal will be about $15. As for dinner in Chinatown I am reluctant to recommend one as many of them are 2nd floor dining rooms so your mother may have a problem with the stairs, however one of the posters on this thread maybe able to help you.

Thanks, Putterdude, for the info about DT hotels around $150. I've researched so many travel guides, AAA tour book and online, hotel booking websites online, etc., that my head is spinning.

Now, I'm wondering about taking the free airport shuttle to the Ramada or another nearby hotel/motel b/c the rates are SOOO much less. Can easily find a highly recommended facility for $80-100US. Since cabs seem to be rather expensive, is there public transportation? Or, would I need to shuttle back to the airport to catch the Airporter? Seems I can pick it up as early as 8:20 AM, which is 10:20 midwestern time.

I don't want to spend any more time in Richmond than necessary on Wed. morning. I'd rather get up to the pier area to catch the Vancouver Trolley as early as possible, although I don't believe I can check baggage with CDS before 9:30 A.M.

In posts concerning the pleasantness of the Ramada Airport, it was mentioned in a couple of posts that several Asian restaurants are within very close walking distance.

Thanks again,

TLS

It seems the least expensive way to get from YVR to our hotel is by way of Airporter bus (about $13? pp).

Well, this really depends on how many people will be taking the Airporter bus. I have looked into it before, and I found that it is sometimes a better value to just take a cab. It will run you about $35-$40. It may work out a little bit more if there are only 2 of you, but I am willing to pay extra for the convenience (you have to remember that with the Airporter, you MAY have to change buses - at least this is the case if you're going to the westin bayshore from YVR)

Once at our hotel, I don't want to dish out a lot more money to get around. I thought if we stay at a facility that provides area transportation, we could get from there to the pier Wed. morning at no cost. (I considered using a hotel near the airport that provides shuttle service, but then, I have a greater expense of getting from the hotel to the pier, don't I? I can't believe none of the airport facilities provide transports to DT. Or do city buses other transit run from Richmond areas to DT?)

Your best bet is to probably stay in downtown Vancouver if you want to save money on transportation. I do not know what your accommodation budget is, or what you are looking for in terms of accommodation, but there are hotels in downtown Vancouver that offer free shuttles to the pier. If you can't find one, you can always call for a cab and spend about $10-$15 (max) depending on where you are staying and going (Canada place or Ballantyne).

Putterdude's suggestions are all pretty good; I would probably go with Blue Horizon or Pacific Palisades because they are more centrally located. You may also try the Empire Landmark (not the best, but you can get some deals sometimes) or some other hotels along Robson (Listel, etc).

My mother is almost 82 and can walk but not a great distance and not fast. Tour books state so many things are within walking distance of Canada Place, but I have to question who is doing the walking.

Additionally, I'd thought to have dinner in Chinatown on the 13th and stay someplace between there and Canada Place, so we could take the trolley tour in the morning and drop our luggage at the pier terminal before continuing on the trolley tour.

There are no hotels I can recommend that are in between Canada Place and Chinatown. Marriott Renaissance or Marriott Pinnacle, both on West Hastings, are also pretty good and very close to Canada Place pier (they are west of Canada Place, and Chinatown is east of Canada Place). Or, if you want to be right at Canada Place, you can stay at the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront, although both can be quite pricey.

I also agree with Putterdude regarding the restaurants in Chinatown. If you are looking for a good but inexpensive Chinese restaurant, you might want to just stay in the downtown core and try Hon's on Robson instead (they also have a restaurant in Chinatown). This is by no means a high end restaurant, but it is good and inexpensive. If you're looking for something more upscale, you may try these two downtown restaurants: Kirin (not my favourite, but others like it) or Victoria Chinese. If you feel like venturing outside the downtown core, you can try Sun Sui Wah or Spicy Court.

Hope that helps.

Now, I'm wondering about taking the free airport shuttle to the Ramada or another nearby hotel/motel b/c the rates are SOOO much less. Can easily find a highly recommended facility for $80-100US. Since cabs seem to be rather expensive, is there public transportation? Or, would I need to shuttle back to the airport to catch the Airporter? Seems I can pick it up as early as 8:20 AM, which is 10:20 midwestern time.

That's doable too. Yes, there is public transportation from Richmond to Vancouver. Here's a link to the trip planner; it will give you an idea of how many transfers you might need to do, and how long your trip might take.

In posts concerning the pleasantness of the Ramada Airport, it was mentioned in a couple of posts that several Asian restaurants are within very close walking distance.

Yes, there are MANY Chinese restaurants in the area. Richmond is the next best thing to Chinatown, in my opinion (and maybe even better, some may argue).

The CDN and US dollar are pretty much at par so don't let that influence you. If you can work with that Transit link that orchid72 has provided you than that is great. The real problem or challange with transit is if you have more than a bag each, then getting on & off the bus, seating and alike can be a bit awkward particularly during the business commute. So if you have a concern for that then it is a shuttle back to the airport and the Airporter into town. The Asian population out in Richmond, where the airport is, has become huge in the past 20 years so finding as Chinese Restaurant out there will be pretty simple. I am sorry I don't know when CDS Baggage opens at the pier but 9:30 sounds pretty late to me as ships are arriving at 7:00 am and people are lloking to store bags around 8:00 am. I did phone CDS the other day and left a post on another thread about their rates, which are the same as the airport. http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html It is to bad about our downtown hotel rates but they are pretty much what you pay in many major cities in North America but I know it is a shock when you have to pay them.

Thanks a million to each of you who replied. Info gathered is most helpful. Except for the Link to the city bus schedule. You have to enter a starting point (which is totally unknown to me since I don't know stations or stops that are close to motels). We are leaving from Canada Place for a 4-night cruise, so our luggage will be minimal - a suitcase we can take on the plane and a carry-on bag for necessities/valuables.

I still have more research to do. I went to priceline last night and found a $195 rate for the DT Hampton Inn, which is considerably higher than the $159 rate I found on the Vancouver hotel site. I also need to find out from the travel agent if we can be picked up by the cruiseline transport provider on the day before departure. I thought not, but something I read in our documents makes me think it's possible. My mother has the docs at the moment, so I need to get them back.

Since we are splurging on this cruise, I'm trying to keep the land costs to a minimum w/o putting our lives in danger. I've even consider the YMCA or a hostel. Since the trolley is about $33, I need to check that my mother is interested in taking that. If not, we'll just focus on getting to the ship and then maybe walking around Gastown until we can board.

Cheers,

TLS

Thanks a million to each of you who replied. Info gathered is most helpful. Except for the Link to the city bus schedule. You have to enter a starting point (which is totally unknown to me since I don't know stations or stops that are close to motels).

You don't need to know the stations/stops to use the trip planner.

For your starting point, you can enter the address of your hotel/motel, which you can get from their website.

For the end point, you can also enter an address or a landmark.

Back to the drawing board. Or the Transit Schedule instead. After exploring further, it seems that by entering from "Airport Station" to "Canada Place," I have a preliminary schedule leaving at 8:58 and arriving at 9:25 with no transfers. Cost is $3.75. Can this be true?

tls

Here is a link to the YWCA Hotel in downtown, I hadn't considered that. It is a newish facility in a good location, I would be about a $10 to $15 cab fare to the cruise terminals. Yes the transit link information is correct.

Back to the drawing board. Or the Transit Schedule instead. After exploring further, it seems that by entering from "Airport Station" to "Canada Place," I have a preliminary schedule leaving at 8:58 and arriving at 9:25 with no transfers. Cost is $3.75. Can this be true?

tls

Yes, this CAN be true. The 098 bus does not have a lot of stops between the that Airport station and the downtown core. Having said that though, I would probably leave a cushion of 15 minutes for traffic - you never know with the summer road construction schedule. Also, the airport station stop is NOT at the airport terminal. So, if you are getting the hotel shuttle, make sure to let them know to drop you off at the station on Miller Road and Russ Baker Way.

Also, take note of Putterdude's comment on how full the buses can be. Sometimes they get really full; you may have to wait for the next one. On the flip side, I think they run every 6 minutes so waiting should not be a problem. OR, you can try to get your hotel shuttle driver to drop you off at the #3 and Anderson stop so you can get on the bus BEFORE every man and his dog gets on it. :)

The YWCA rate for one night/two persons/2 double beds/private bath is $119. Not that different from a Priceline rate of $125 for Pacific Palisades, IF you can get it.

Thanks, especially, for the bus stop info - streets. Just wondering if the hotel airport shuttle would drop us at a street corner instead of the airport?

The work goes on!

Tls

Thanks, especially, for the bus stop info - streets. Just wondering if the hotel airport shuttle would drop us at a street corner instead of the airport?

Doesn't hurt to ask, I guess. And if not, you can probably just take the bus from your hotel and transfer. It will not be as convenient, but it still would not be that bad.

Good luck.

I think I would go to the Airport as that is likely where the route begins and ends and that is where you are likely going to get seat and get your bags organized for the trip into town. I am not necessarily promoting the Y but if it is in your budget, it would at least get you into the city where you can see some of the sights. There is not a ton of things to do or see out in Richmond.

Doesn't hurt to ask, I guess. And if not, you can probably just take the bus from your hotel and transfer. It will not be as convenient, but it still would not be that bad.

Good luck.

How do I know if I can catch a bus from the hotel? I just can't imagine a city bus pulling up in front of the Ramada. I'm not worried about a transfer b/c there will be only two of us (which is why I do NOT want to pay $20 each for a taxi) and we're both traveling light. One small wheeled suitcase and one carry-on shoulder bag.

I have a paper map from AAA of Vancouver and vicinity, so I've found the Miller Rd and Anderson Rd stops. They certainly appear to be a great distance apart. I guess they're served by two different bus routes. I'll have to look up the Ramada address to see which the motel shuttle driver is more likely to take us to.

If I decide on the Ramada, I'll call first to find out about shuttle service and nearby city bus service before I book a room.

Just learning more as the day goes on.

Thanx,

TLS

I agree. Richmond would not offer us any sightseeing opportunities, so my interest in staying there is purely for the sake of finding cheap lodging. I know the CAD $ is worth .98 of USD, so you're right the conversion isn't even worth the time it takes. If a room is $119CD that's a close enough estimate for me. But if a motel is $80/night and a hotel is $119, that's a big difference to me. Add to the hotel the cost of getting from the airport to DT, subtract the cost of getting to the pier - well, it just goes on and on b/c there are a variety of variables.

If the cruiseline will honor the transport fee paid and get us DT on Tues., I'll likely stay at the YWCA b/c it's the stop made by the trolley right before it hits Gastown (which is considered stop #1). We could check out early and take our luggage onto the trolley. When the trolley makes its #3 stop at Canada Place, we could get off and either store our luggage with CDS, or possibly check it with the cruiseline (altho I don't think that check-in starts until 10:30). No matter, b/c after storing baggage, we could go out and get on the next trolley and take the 2-hr tour around the vicinity and get off when the trolley stops at Canada Place again.

If I can't do the above, I'll likely check further into the Ramada. I like the airport shuttle idea and the nearby Chinese restaurants. On Wed., we'd get a free breakfast and a shuttle either back to the airport to take the Airporter or to a city bus stop. We could then ride the city bus to CD PL, check baggage, and then pick up the trolley.

So, I've narrowed it down to two main options, I think. Tomorrow, I'll check with the travel agent. Just realized that we could use the cruise transfer service on Wed. IF it picks up early enough. I don't want to sit in Richmond or at the airport until 11 in the morning. We'd run out of time for the trolley tour. This may seem nitpicky, but whenever I think that we've paid $50 to get the two of us from the airport to CD PL, I can't stand to toss that in the trash. But maybe I can talk the cruiseline into giving us onboard credits in place of the transfer.

Well, good night, and thanks ever so much for all the time and attention. When plans are finalized, I'll let you know.

How do I know if I can catch a bus from the hotel? I just can't imagine a city bus pulling up in front of the Ramada. I'm not worried about a transfer b/c there will be only two of us (which is why I do NOT want to pay $20 each for a taxi) and we're both traveling light. One small wheeled suitcase and one carry-on shoulder bag.

You're right; the bus will not stop in front of your hotel (Westminster and Alderbridge). There is, however, a stop that is probably a 5-10 minute walk away(Gilbert and Westminster Hwy) where you can take the 491 to downtown.

I have a paper map from AAA of Vancouver and vicinity, so I've found the Miller Rd and Anderson Rd stops. They certainly appear to be a great distance apart. I guess they're served by two different bus routes. I'll have to look up the Ramada address to see which the motel shuttle driver is more likely to take us to.
They are served by the 98 b-line. The anderson road stop is sort of the beginning of the line (sort of), but I don't know if your hotel shuttle will drop you off at this stop since it is not on the way to the airport. The Miller road stop, though, is on the way to the airport.

If the shuttle service does not make any stops other than the airport, you can always catch the 424 from the international terminal. You will then need to get off at the Miller Road stop where you can take the 098 to Downtown.

If I decide on the Ramada, I'll call first to find out about shuttle service and nearby city bus service before I book a room.

Yes, do call them about the shuttle service just to make sure. You do have a lot of options, though, so I think you are in a good position.

I agree. Richmond would not offer us any sightseeing opportunities, so my interest in staying there is purely for the sake of finding cheap lodging.

I would not discount Richmond as a boring city. It's not THAT bad.:(

There are Chinese restaurants, and then there's the charming historic Steveston Village (http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=3919)......

But you're right. There's more to do downtown, and if you can get a good deal on a DT hotel, I'd stay DT. And you can still keep your costs down by taking public transport from the airport to DT.

If the shuttle service does not make any stops other than the airport, you can always catch the 424 from the international terminal. You will then need to get off at the Miller Road stop where you can take the 098 to Downtown.

to add to this, you can also take the 491 from the miller road stop. Note that neither the 098 nor the 491will drop you off right at Canada Place. You still have a few blocks of walking to do to get to Canada Place. 491 will drop you off at Hastings and Howe, and the 098 will drop you off at Cordova and Granville.

tls

Yep, that's right. HOWEVER, "Airport Station" isn't at the airport (don't ask why, it's a short bus ride, but included in your 3.75). You take the 424 from the airport terminal to "Airport Station" (which is just a big bus stop), and then the 98 B Line into town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=yvr&daddr=canada+place,+vancouver+bc&dirflg=r&sll=49.239705,-123.146165&sspn=0.125526,0.376282&ie=UTF8&ll=49.239569,-123.146095&spn=0.125527,0.376282&z=12&start=0

Okay here's my timeframe.

Arrive 7 AM from cruise, leave 7 PM flight.

I am figuring hopefully off ship by 9AM and to airport by 5 pm.

Would like to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.

1. Is it possible to do both in this time frame?

2. What to do with luggage from cruise while sightseeing. If we leave it at

cruise port is that the same as CDS I have seen in posts? Says will hold

only until 4PM/

3. Public tranportation (translink info) says about 30 minutes to Capilano

from cruise port. Can I take public transport to CSB and then back to

port to pick up luggage and then public to airport?- Or sould I take a taxi to the airport at 4PM, will it still be a hard to find one at this time?

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.-Our day in Vancouver is Memorial Day (a holiday) in US. Will this make any difference there?