Vancouver Info if needed

Here's some thoughts on your three selections

Delta - closest to Canada Place, Gastown and Chinatown - also furtherest from the other downtown tourist attractions and shopping - in an older but relatively safe area of the downtown financial core.

Blue Horizon and Hyatt are both in the central business, entertainment, tourist area - close to or adjacent to shopping malls, restaurants, night life etc.

Probably would choose the Hyatt over the Blue Horizon if the price was comparable.

Others will probably also add their opinions - believe that Putterdude has left for his cruise.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Staying post cruise at the Terminal City Hotel. Can my family walk to it from the Canadian pier without too much huffing and puffing? We hope to drop off our bags and then hop the trolley for some sight seeing. Will we have to walk a fair distance to board the trolley from the hotel?

We've planned this trip in a big rush so I really appreciate all the information this board has provided!

Staying post cruise at the Terminal City Hotel. Can my family walk to it from the Canadian pier without too much huffing and puffing? We hope to drop off our bags and then hop the trolley for some sight seeing. Will we have to walk a fair distance to board the trolley from the hotel?

We've planned this trip in a big rush so I really appreciate all the information this board has provided!

Hi,

You are very close to Canada Place - 2 blocks (about a 2-3 minute walk). Here's a map to give you an idea.

The trolley stops at Canada Place both the Big Bus HOHO or the Vancouver Trolley.

You can *easily* walk to the pier from your hotel to drop off your bags and walk back to take the trolley.

Well, We have finally decided on The Westin Grand. I'm hoping it's the right choice because we can not change this booking. The reviews seem to be good, but can someone let me know how far from restaurants,shopping, and general transport options.

thanks

You are in the middle of the tourist area - there are lots of restaurants, shopping within a couple block radius of your hotel - there is a sky train - rapid transit station about a block away - a good location to be in - if you have any specific requests regarding types of eateries just let us know and us locals will be only too glad to answer them.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Urban trekker for the info. Looks like we've made the right choice then. We don't really have special requirements for were we eat. I'm vegetarian but I've been told that will not pose any problems as most restaurants serve meals for both vegetarians and meat eaters.:eek:

thanks again!:)

I'm hoping for some insight into my transportation confusion. I'm trying to decide between renting a car or just taking a cab for most (or all) of my traveling in the city prior to our cruise on 5/18.

Trips that we have to make at a minimum:

Vancouver Airport to The Westin Grand

The Westin Grand to Tsawwassen

Tsawwassen to The Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

The Westin to Buchart Gardens

Buchart Gardens to The Westin

The Westin to Tsawwassen

Tsawwassen to Canada Place

We can rent a car for about $100 CAD for the 4 days, + $40 (Round Trip Ferry Cost for the car)...I guess I'm hoping for some clear indication that taking a cab is going to be far more expensive in the end.

I'm not a big fan of renting cars so if the estimated cost is even kind of close I'd probably choose the taxi.

Thanks in advance!

-Janae

First let me say thanks for taking the time to answer each and every question, you are awesome!!

We finally decided to stay at the Pan Pacific, found a family special for our dates, was wondering if you can answer 2 questions:

1. Can we walk to Stanley Park or is there a "cheap" shuttle?

2. Where do you suggest eating for dinner, 2 adults 2 kids.

thanks in advance for any tips you can offer! have a great weekend!:D

I'm hoping for some insight into my transportation confusion. I'm trying to decide between renting a car or just taking a cab for most (or all) of my traveling in the city prior to our cruise on 5/18.

The Westin to Tsawwassen

We can rent a car for about $100 CAD for the 4 days, + $40 (Round Trip Ferry Cost for the car)...I guess I'm hoping for some clear indication that taking a cab is going to be far more expensive in the end.

I'm not a big fan of renting cars so if the estimated cost is even kind of close I'd probably choose the taxi.

Thanks in advance!

-Janae

I confirm that your cab and or buses to and from the Island/airport would be more expensive even though you haven't factored in parking which will cost a fair bit at the Westin I'm sure. Peace of mind means a fair bit though. You wouldn't want to do cabs to and from the Ferry/Gardens at all a bus tour from Vancouver would likely be best

I would check that your airport rental can be dropped off "In Town" though.

Yes you can walk to Stanley Park from the Pan Pacific - about a 30 minute walk - longer if you decide to photograph everything in site - remember the park is big - 0ver 1000 acres which makes it bigger than Central Park in NYC -from Mid-June to Mid September there is a free hop on hop off bus that shuttle around Stanley Park - if you don't want to walk to the Park - walk up one block to Pender St and catch a #19 Stanley Park Bus - it takes you right into the Park.

Here's a link to the shuttle:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

The Westin to Tsawwassen

Thanks in advance!

-Janae

As previously indicated you are likely best with the rental car as the Weston at Bear Mountain is out in Langford in a Victoria suburb and is some distance from downtown Victoria and the Butchart Gardens. However you are a little light on your ferry fares, budget about $60 pp each way plus another $15 each way if you want a reservation on the ferry. Here is a link to the BC Ferries web site:

http://www.bcferries.com/

2. Where do you suggest eating for dinner, 2 adults 2 kids.

Ut has answered re your trip to Stanley Park so as for your dinner question; the Pan Pacific has a great restaurant called the Five Sails and about 100 paces to the east of the hotel there is another terrific restaurant called the Aqua Riva. Both feature west coast fish items.

www.fivesails.ca/

www.aquariva.com/

Thanks everyone for the help. We will be going with a rental car after all.:) National allows for pickup at the airport and drop off at Canada Place.

However you are a little light on your ferry fares, budget about $60 pp each way plus another $15 each way if you want a reservation on the ferry. Here is a link to the BC Ferries web site: http://www.bcferries.com/

You are correct...but only halfway (as I was only half wrong).:p There are "CoastSaver" fares however they apply to travel on Saturdays only (starting May 3rd). We will be going to Vancouver Island on Saturday so the rate for the car will be only $20 plus $5 for each person. Sunday return cost will be quite a bit more (like $40 or $45 for the car and $15 pp I think). Are ferry reservations recommended?

Thanks again everyone!

-Janae

I had forgotten about the 1/2 price Saturdays in May. Reservations are not essential if you are prepared to wait. Next weekend is a holiday weekend here in Canada so if you are travelling on the ferries on either the Friday or the Saturday (which you have indicated you are) then I would recommend you get one ASAP as even now they may be completely sold out of reservations.

PD - thanks for the head's up on the Coast Saver fares - I belong to a Society which has a director's meeting scheduled on a Saturday in June in Victoria - they will be pleased to learn that the Saver's will be available to travel that day.

I am wondering why they appear to be offering that savings on just about every sailing on the Duke Point run the next two months - the new ship is scheduled to start any time soon - or have the price increases and slower tourist traffic finally caught up with them and they now need to discount to fill the ships.

Cheers

Dennis

The only suggestion that I would have would be the Bestern Western in either Maple Ridge would put you a bit east of Pitt Meadows or the one at North Road and Lougheed Hwy in Coquitlam, which would put you a bit west of PM. I have stayed at both of them and if you have a car then I would stay at the Coquitlam one, it is a very nice property with good rooms and facilities. I have no knowledge of B&B's out there but I am sure that there are some nice ones.

We've decided to rent a minivan for our afternoon in Vancouver, 6 people. We'll pick it up at the airport and return it to the downtown location. How long would you allow to drive from the airport to Hampton Inn Downtown? From the Hampton Inn to Grouse Mtn/Capilano? How long to allow at Capilano? How long to drive back? We'll be in town on a Thursday, June 12th and need to return the car by 7pm. I'm trying to figure out how much we can do in the afternoon. If its foggy what other suggestions would you have to sightsee? We'll be doing the bus tour of downtown the next day.

Thanks.

We've decided to rent a minivan for our afternoon in Vancouver, 6 people. We'll pick it up at the airport and return it to the downtown location. How long would you allow to drive from the airport to Hampton Inn Downtown? From the Hampton Inn to Grouse Mtn/Capilano? How long to allow at Capilano? How long to drive back? We'll be in town on a Thursday, June 12th and need to return the car by 7pm. I'm trying to figure out how much we can do in the afternoon. If its foggy what other suggestions would you have to sightsee? We'll be doing the bus tour of downtown the next day.

Thanks.

Once in the van your drive to the Hampton Inn will be about 30 mins. From the Hampton Inn to Grouse Mtn allow 25 to 35 mins Your trip back to the hotel could take 35 to 45 mins as there will likely be only one lane open for southbound traffic on the Lions Gate bridge. If you can't see the tops of the North Shore mountains then don't go because you won't be able to see the city from there. If that is the case then consider a drive around and thru Stanley Park and a few hours at Granville Island which is a fabulous Festival Market Place.