Vancouver Info if needed

Another couple of questions...

We're thinking about seeing the aquarium and the lookout tower. I've read that these are good. Just making for sure they aren't overinflated tourist traps. We love aquariums and sky views so if they are good quality it will be right up our alley.

Thanks again!

We made the aquarium a stop on our family bike around Stanley Park! Remember, it's right in the park!

To any of the BC "helpers",

I have spotted about 6 or more people living in BC that have given great advice for logistics in Victoria. I need some help in figuring out the where the closest bus stop is in the vicinity of the BC Royal Museum. Any assistance is appreciated.

Our hotel is across the street from the Museum and we are planning to take the bus to Butchart Gardens on 7/23 and to the airport on 7/24. I have looked at the schedule for BC Transit and have seen numerous stops in downtown Victoria but do not know which one is closest to the hotel. Could someone tell me?

Can we purchase tickets on the bus or is there a ticket kiosk or booth nearby?

Do we need to have cash or can we use a credit card for the ticket purchase?

The day we go to the airport we will have our (3 ppl) luggage from a 7 day cruise. Is there adequate storage on the bus for probably 2 large, 1 medium and 3 small bags or should we start looking for a shuttle or cab?

If you go to the Museum's website and look at the map there you can see the Empress (not marked) directly to the North of the museum. Directly North across the street on the SE corner of that block is the Bus depot. (Where the writing is for the "Conference center) I'm sure that transit will be there or across the street near by. You can even see buses in the depot on Goggle maps satellite Picture. If your hotel is right there somewhere you should be fine. Why not ask your hotel for the info direct.

City buses are no great for baggage.

What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal from Tsawwassen ferry terminal?

We are planning on flying into Victoria in the morning of Aug 22, 2008, stay overnight, then ferry to Tsawwassen on the 23rd. We need to board Sapphire Princess before 3pm.

thanks! (our first trip to Canada & Alaska cruise)

Take the Pacific Coach bus - it will take you right from downtown Victoria to Canada place - where the Sapphire Princess will sail from - it will arrive at Canada Place at 1:30PM

Here's a link to their information:

http://pacificcoach.com/Schedule/Cruiseship

Cheers

Dennis

What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal from Tsawwassen ferry terminal?

We are planning on flying into Victoria in the morning of Aug 22, 2008, stay overnight, then ferry to Tsawwassen on the 23rd. We need to board Sapphire Princess before 3pm.

thanks! (our first trip to Canada & Alaska cruise)

Wow, that all depends on your budget;

cheapest: city bus at ferry, (easy bus change in ladner), then 601 bus to downtown (drops near canada place cruise terminal) $5.00

Next: Pacific Coach Lines (board on ferry) to Pacific Station (amtrak), then either skytrain or cab to cruise terminal $11 bus + taxi or $11 + $2.50 skytrain

Swish: Float Plane from downtown victoria to Canada Place, $130

How are you getting to Swartz Bay on the Victoria end (it;s 20 miles north of downtown) as option 2 can be done downtown to downtown...

Has anyone out there had any experience with Luxury Limobus Charters for transport to/from Vancouver airport?

We are a group of 6 with 12 suitcases and they have given the best price so far for transport to the Hampton Inn & Suites in Vancouver.

Thanks

J

Good day all out West. I maintain a similar thread for Port Canaveral here in Florida and just got new respect for those that read all 3000 post. I just finished your 400+ and my eyes hurt.

One question type we get here that seems to help, with your permission brings many common answers I will try.

Sort of a recap. I will be spending 2 days post cruise this May and staying at the Marriott Pinacle. We will arrive Friday morning and not pick up our car until Saturday morning to get out of the city then to the airport later that night.

How about the top 5 must see's and do's?

I know how much work goes into these boards but I also know its a labor of love.

See you all in May -08

Preston

With Kudo's to her. Her Original Post is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653165&highlight=bchappygal

Here's what you are looking for I think:

My favorite must do attractions are

1) Grouse Mountain – www.grousemountain.com – this is a wonderful scenic mountain only about 15 mins from downtown Vancouver. Ride the airtram to the top for lots of fun activities that include a loggers show, birds of prey show, 2 movies (1 about the Vancouver area and 1 about the 2 Grizzly Bears who make their home on Grouse Mtn) ride a chair lift and visit with 2 live Grizzly Bears. Enjoy a meal in any of the restaurants. Caveat only spend the money to go up on a clear day.

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge – www.capbridge.com – this is Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction and I still enjoy visiting it! Located on Capilano Road just before you reach the Grouse Mountain parking lot. Walk across a suspension Bridge over the Capilano Gorge, wonder the trails thru the rain forest, walk thru the treetops on the new Tree Top Adventure, visit the trading post for a huge selection of souvenirs, watch native weavers and/or carvers at work.

3) Capilano Fish Hatchery is also located on Capilano Road and is a great place to view salmon jumping up the fish ladders to get around the Cleveland Dam.

4) Stanley Park – www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection at Brockton Point, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, petting zoo, aquarium – www.vanaqua.org – hollow tree, many view points, and several restaurants.

5) Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

6) At the start of Gas Town is the Harbor Centre Tower www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a birds eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant.

7) China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town and is the largest China Town north of San Francisco. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens www.classicalchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

8) Granville Island – www.granvilleisland.com – is a huge public market area which not only sells fruit & veggies but you can also buy frozen fish to be shipped to your home. May artists make this their home and you can watch them at work in their studios – making this a great place to buy unique souvenirs. The Granville Island Brewery is also located here and you can stop in for a free tour & tastes. There are theatres for live performances and many fine restaurants. A fun way to get to Granville Island is via the Aquabus – www.theaquabus.com

9) Burnaby Village Museum – www.city.burnaby.bc.ca – is an open air museum with over 30 restored homes, shops, school, church and a 1912 carousel situated on 10 acres

10) Gulf of Georgia Cannery – www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.com – is a restored fishing cannery located in the historic fishing village of Steveston (part of Richmond). Here you see exhibits that showcase the history of the fishing industry in British Columbia. Once finished in the museum it is great fun to walk along the fishing docks and see the fishing boats which are selling their catch. There are also some excellent restaurants located here.

11) The Vancouver Maritime Museum located on the shore of English Bay is fun for the whole family with lots of hands on exhibits for the kid in all of us. Here to you will find the ship St Roch which the RCMP sailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Northwest Passage and then completed the return journey in 1944. You actually get to tour this ship. www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

12) Queen Elizabeth Park – www.greatervancouverparks.com/QEPark01.htm -The 130 acre (52 hectare) park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Second only to Stanley Park in annual visitations, it receives nearly 6 million people a year who marvel at its superior standard of garden plantings.

The park was originally quarried for its rock which served to build Vancouver's first roadways. In 1929 the Board proceeded to acquire the property which had become an abandoned eyesore but still served as the site for two holding reservoirs for the City's drinking water. Dedicated as a park by King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen's mother) on their much lauded visit to Vancouver in 1939.

13) Fort Langley is the restored wooden fort built by the Hudson’s Bay Company as a trading post. It is the origin of British Columbia and was the first capital. This Fort is operated by the Federal Parks Board.

14) If you are a wine lover you might want to rent a car and spend a day visiting a few of the many excellent wineries located in the Fraser Valley only about a 1 hour drive from your hotel. Almost all of the wineries offer free tastes & tours.

oh and this was a further comment on her post just to clarify a bit and add another attaboy.

This from the Urban Trecker (Dennis) at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=713711

"Starting in mid May there is a free courtesy bus that circles Stanley Park'

BC Happy Gal - unless you know something new the free shuttle doesn't start up until mid June according to the Vancouver Parks web site."

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

and Lynn canyon is a local park not a provincial park but otherwise I think your list of suggestions is a good reflection of what is available to our tourists.

Cheers

Dennis

Hope this helps

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

This is for shoppie or anyone else with prior Vancouver experience- What hotel would you recommend in Vancouver? just staying overnight after flying in and then going on from there by private van service to Alaska cruise? I am looking for possibly something that will have 2 rooms,maybe full price 1 room 1/2 off the next. Large family traveling together. Thanks.:)

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

We are taking an Alaskan Southbound cruise in August 2008. Our ship docks in Vancouver at 8:00am, there will already be two other ships in port that have docked at 7:00am. We are staying in Vancouver for 3 days so we won't be going to the airport.

Do you know how long we might be in line to catch a cab to our hotel?

We are taking an Alaskan Southbound cruise in August 2008. Our ship docks in Vancouver at 8:00am, there will already be two other ships in port that have docked at 7:00am. We are staying in Vancouver for 3 days so we won't be going to the airport.

Do you know how long we might be in line to catch a cab to our hotel?

There are several threads about cabs in the forum if you check. It depends a lot on which dock you are at and if Vancouver's new cab owners actually get up and running by then. It could be quite a while in the past.

For all you Vancouverites....

Several of my friends & business associates will be in town this weekend for a presentation at the Sheraton Wall Centre on Saturday.

Any suggestions of what they should do or see in that area? Recommendations for restaurants would be helpful too.

You can send me an email kathy@gelconnections.com

Has anyone used this service? I am thinking about leaving my bags there early on departure day, so I can tour the city for a few hours before boarding. Any ideas of the cost? Or, as an option, does anyone know what time I can check my bags with HAL? (I'll also post that question on the HAL board.)

Thanks in advance!

Liz

This should answer your question: Taken from the Port of Vancouver cruise web site

Baggage

Baggage handling is worry-free. Baggage can be checked upon arrival with the longshore staff at the cruise terminal for direct delivery to the passenger's cabin. Longshore staff begin receiving baggage at 10:30am.

Passengers disembarking in Vancouver are able to claim their baggage in the Customs area in the terminal. Complimentary, individual baggage carts are readily available.

CDS Baggage provides storage services at Canada Place.

Tel: 604.303.4500.

For security reasons, short-term baggage storage is available to cruise passengers only. Storage services are not available at Ballantyne terminal.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We have a group of 6 adults landing 6/12 at noon. We would like to go directly to a downtown hotel and drop off our bags then try to go see grouse mountain. Then maybe try to fit in some other north vancouver or downtown sites that day.

6/13 we were planning on the trolley/bus to see the downtown sites. Then head to the pier at noon or so. Is this possible?

Any ideas on how to get around with 6 of us. I was thinking the Limo from the airport would be reasonable, but direct and more comfortable than the bus. Then we would need public transportation to the north shore and grouse. We're from NYC area so we can grasp buses/trains pretty easily.

Any suggestions on hotel nearest the public transportation system?

Best way to get to Canada Place?

Any ideas on must see sights?

Thanks so much for all your input. This thread has been very useful to me.

Noon arrival will likely put you into downtown checked in around 2 PM.. Nice day in June you will have time to get to grouse no problem. Taking public transport though you probably will not have much time to do anything else. The Cay (Key) at the North Van end of Sea bus could keep you busy (shopping) though and still make it an easy return to the Canada Place side of the harbour.

a Limo and 6 adults with luggage for a cruise is not going to be something that the limo guys likely can handle with one unit. They are not all that big.

(Limo jet -who have the contract to service YVR) Be prepared to improvise.

The morning of the cruise bus thingy is doable. Depends on the state of your tourist mind vs wanna get on the boat :)

Wow, this thread is great. Took me forever to get through it...but what great information!

Here is our tentative itinerary for Vancouver. Any suggestions/opinion would be welcome. And I do have a few questions.

We arrive at the Ballantyne Pier. We have rented a car via Avis, not sure if they will send a car to pick us up or is we will have to get a cab to the rental place at 757 Hornby Street (corner of Hornby and W Georgia). We plan on checking into our hotel…as yet undecided but definitely downtown, and leave our luggage and car. We thought we would wander around Vancouver, perhaps do the off - on bus/trolley…Stanley Park (Fish House for lunch). We would then drive to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain. We have collected a few ideas for dinner:

Hamburger Mary’s 1202 Davie St

Café Zen by Kit beach

Boathouse on English Bay

Shophie Cosmic Café

Cardero’s (White Spot, same food, cheaper)

Aqua Riva (by Pan Pacific ask for window seat)

The next morning we will be taking the Tsawwassen ferry (9am) to Swartz Bay (1 ½ hr).

Ok, here are the questions.

Where is Ballantyne Pier, I can’t find it on any of the Vancouver maps I have?

Are cabs easily available at Ballantyne Pier? Is it close to our Avis rental location at the corner of Hornby and W Georgia? There will be 4 adults and all our luggage, so I know we won’t all fit in a normal cab.

We need to decide if DRIVING around Vancouver and driving to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain would be cheaper/easier for the four of us vs parking the car and buying tickets for the hop on bus/trolley and going to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain via public transportation (seabus and bus # 236). Is there parking at Stanley Park and the Bridge/Grouse Mountain?

Next question, do we need to get reservations for the Tsawwassen ferry (9am) to Swartz Bay? We will be going on Sept 13, a Saturday morning. How busy will it be on a weekend in September? How soon will we need to be at the Ferry that morning.

Last question, how log will it take us to drive from downtown Vancouver to the Tsawwassen ferry on a Saturday morning.

Thanks so much in advance for all your answers/opinions.

Here goes:

"Where is Ballantyne Pier, I can’t find it on any of the Vancouver maps I have? "

See the link that Left Coast BC has provided.

"Are cabs easily available at Ballantyne Pier? Is it close to our Avis rental location at the corner of Hornby and W Georgia? There will be 4 adults and all our luggage, so I know we won’t all fit in a normal cab."

Cabs are going to be a hit or miss - also check with Avis and see if they offer a transfer from the pier to the pick up point.

"We need to decide if DRIVING around Vancouver and driving to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain would be cheaper/easier for the four of us vs parking the car and buying tickets for the hop on bus/trolley and going to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain via public transportation (seabus and bus # 236). Is there parking at Stanley Park and the Bridge/Grouse Mountain?"

All parking in Stanley Park is pay and only good for where you stop - so if you plan on stopping several times you will have to pay each time - suggest you consider the free hop on hop off shuttle.

As for Capilano Bridge - there is a large lot there but I am not sure if it free or not.

As for Grouse Mt - the main paved lot is pay but the large gravel lot only a two minute walk away is free.

"Next question, do we need to get reservations for the Tsawwassen ferry (9am) to Swartz Bay? We will be going on Sept 13, a Saturday morning. How busy will it be on a weekend in September? How soon will we need to be at the Ferry that morning."

I would suggest making a reservations - it will give you peace of mind - you only need to arrive 30 minutes before if you have a reservation - otherwise get there as early as possible as the previous sailing is often full.

"last question, how log will it take us to drive from downtown Vancouver to the Tsawassen ferry on a Saturday morning".

Give yourself about 45 minutes - there shouldn't be too many delays on a Saturday and you are going the opposite way of any commute.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Wow, this thread is great. Took me forever to get through it...but what great information!

Here is our tentative itinerary for Vancouver. Any suggestions/opinion would be welcome. And I do have a few questions.

We arrive at the Ballantyne Pier. We have rented a car via Avis, not sure if they will send a car to pick us up or is we will have to get a cab to the rental place at 757 Hornby Street (corner of Hornby and W Georgia). We plan on checking into our hotel…as yet undecided but definitely downtown, and leave our luggage and car. We thought we would wander around Vancouver, perhaps do the off - on bus/trolley…Stanley Park (Fish House for lunch). We would then drive to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain. We have collected a few ideas for dinner:

Hamburger Mary’s 1202 Davie St

Café Zen by Kit beach

Boathouse on English Bay

Shophie Cosmic Café

Cardero’s (White Spot, same food, cheaper)

Aqua Riva (by Pan Pacific ask for window seat)

The next morning we will be taking the Tsawwassen ferry (9am) to Swartz Bay (1 ½ hr).

Where is Ballantyne Pier, I can’t find it on any of the Vancouver maps I have?

Are cabs easily available at Ballantyne Pier? Is it close to our Avis rental location at the corner of Hornby and W Georgia? There will be 4 adults and all our luggage, so I know we won’t all fit in a normal cab.

We need to decide if DRIVING around Vancouver and driving to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain would be cheaper/easier for the four of us vs parking the car and buying tickets for the hop on bus/trolley and going to Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain via public transportation (seabus and bus # 236). Is there parking at Stanley Park and the Bridge/Grouse Mountain?

Next question, do we need to get reservations for the Tsawwassen ferry (9am) to Swartz Bay? We will be going on Sept 13, a Saturday morning. How busy will it be on a weekend in September? How soon will we need to be at the Ferry that morning.

Last question, how log will it take us to drive from downtown Vancouver to the Tsawwassen ferry on a Saturday morning.

If you are staying downtown and your group is reasonably fit, Stanley Park, Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain and many other things to do are all easily accessible by walking, biking, bus or taxi. I'd recommend not renting a car - at least for part of your stay.

Thanks so much. I will do all of the above. We will think about perhaps not renting the car till the next day.

We just reserved Times Square Suites for our stay in Vancouver. It seemed to get good reviews and it has a washer/dryer in the suite. I am sure that will be put to good use after traveling in Alaska for 2 weeks!