Vancouver Info if needed

Beaupeep - I notice that your cruise isn't until next year - starting in Sept this year will be the new Canada Line - rapid transit from the Airport to downtown in about 27 minutes - the cars were designed to be more luggage friendly and the cost is only $3.75 per person.

You will be able to board right at the airport and when you get off at the waterfront station it will be a short walk to Canada Place/Fairmont Waterfront.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, We never considered the Canada Line, I suppose we thought it was more of a commuter line, people and briefcases, not cruise passengers with their heavy bags.

The trains are designed to carry luggage, as it's a line to serve the airport. There is still some discussion as to whether it will be $3.75 (the normal transit price for that zone) , or $6.25 (they're talking about a 2.50 surcharge for the airport). Even at the higher price, it's half the price of the airport bus, quite a bit faster, and 1/5 the price of a taxi. Plus I doubt it would be possible in all but the quietest times of day to be faster than the subway. I'll post a full report on the system when it opens (anticipating beginning of Sept).

My husband would like to do some salmon fishing in Vancouver.............he's heard that salmon are running in the area late August. We will be there August 26-28.

Any recommendations for a small charter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jj

My husband would like to do some salmon fishing in Vancouver.............he's heard that salmon are running in the area late August. We will be there August 26-28.

Thanks,

jj

I have a son, who among other things is a professional fishing guide however he now lives on Vancouver Island and would not be available to you....that said I will contact him and see if he has someone he can refer you to. I will reply on this thread.

You are approximatley 9 blocks from Canada Place. It gently down hill from your hotel and quite walkable...a cab fare before tip will be less than $10. The hotel is situated on one of the highest points of land in the downtown area and combined with the fact the building is one of the highest, you will enjoy some great views.

Would this market be a place to purchase wine? If not, where would the closest place be??
One can not buy alcoholic beverages in a supermarket/grocery in BC. However, there is a wine store about 2 blocks downhill from your hotel attached to the Sutton Place. Otherwise, there is a Provincial Liquor store on Alberni and Thurlow.

How about a good nearby resturant???
There are many. What kind of cuisine are you after, and what price range are you looking at?

There is a beer and wine store on the Hornby St side of the Sheraton Wall center complex - it will also be opened on Sundays and Holidays and until 11:00PM if I am not mistaken.

As for breakfast - there is a Denny's about three blocks away at Davie and Thurlow - there's is also a place called Joe's Cafe at Davie and Burrard that has lineups for both breakfast and lunch and is moderately priced. White Spot at Drake and Granville in the Best Western also has a good breakfast menu - http://www.whitespot.ca

As for Seafood - Joe Fortes, Kettle of Fish, SandBar, Keg are fairly close by - Cardero's is another option but it is a ways away - the Boathouse at English Bay is also a good seafood place.

These are just a few suggestions - once some of the other locals finish up there Canada Day activities they will probably drop by and give some other suggestions.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Seafood would be first on our list....mid price...and a good breakfast place.

Seafood: everything UT mentioned are viable options. There is also The Cannery, and Salmon House on the Hill but you would need to cab it there. I recommend Hapa Izakaya on Robson, but it is not a seafood restaurant per se, but they do serve fish. It is more a Japanese "pub fare" with a twist. Note that it is not close to your hotel, but you can easily walk there. Here is their website: http://www.hapaizakaya.com/

Breakfast: everything that UT mentioned + Elbow Room, a Vancouver institution (you have to be thick-skinned to go here, though). Here is the Elbow room website: http://www.theelbowroomcafe.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp

Edited by orchid72

Thanks,

jj

Haven't forgotten about you. #2 son is checking to see who might be around towards the end of August. A number of the guides do go up to the Queen Charlotte Islands and other northern fishing lodges so the talent pool thins a bit.

I have a son, who among other things is a professional fishing guide however he now lives on Vancouver Island and would not be available to you....that said I will contact him and see if he has someone he can refer you to. I will reply on this thread.

Putterdude, Actually we are headed to Vancouver Island (Hotel is around Butchart Gardens) after our stay in Vancouver-- so that would not be out of the question either.

Thanks,

jj

I was wondering about the Vancouver Trolley. Does it go to the suspension bridge? We are only in town from 2 on Saturday(July 18th) and port out on Sunday. We port out at 4. What time do we need to be at the port to get on the ship? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Edited by Molly_May

Putterdude, Actually we are headed to Vancouver Island (Hotel is around Butchart Gardens) after our stay in Vancouver-- so that would not be out of the question either.

Thanks,

jj

He lives in a town called Courtenay which is about a 2.5 hour up Vancouver Island from Victoria...so it probably won't be a fit. If you thought it would be I know he would, as it is no longer his primary occupation and now just a passion of his (he is a quartermaster with BC Ferries) he would take you out for four or five hours for $250. The issue in his mind is that in late August the fishing in his area takes a bit of dip before it peaks again in mid-September. As you are going to Victoria he is suggesting that you consider driving up to Sooke which is on the west coast of Vancouver Island (about an hour from Victoria) and at that time of the year there are Spring salmon (you call them Kings) which run to 30 lbs and lots of halibut. He is prepared to make some inquiries for Sooke if you find that appealing and he does have some feelers out in the Vancouver area. He does point that in the period you are interested Vancouver's fishing should be better than his local fishing with salmon runs heading for the Fraser River. For a 4 hour private charter out of Vancouver you are likely looking at cost of about $400 to $500 and at Sooke likely about $100 less. This makes for pretty expensive fishing but if you want to persue it I think I may just link the two of you somehow.

Edited by Putterdude

I was wondering about the Vancouver Trolley. Does it go to the suspension bridge? We are only in town from 2 on Saturday(July 18th) and port out on Sunday. We port out at 4. What time do we need to be at the port to get on the ship? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Given the amount of time in the city, you may be as well of taking the free shuttle to the CSB and then take Vancouver Tour's morning tour of the city...this tour is designed for cruisers, they pick you and your luggage up at your hotel and deliver you to the terminal in time for you cruise. You will want to be at the terminal not latter than 2pm for a 4 pm departure.

http://www.capbridge.com/rates_information/getting_here.html

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Not sure on which thread the question was asked about a place to lock up your bike at the Aquarium so I will post this answer on a couple of threads.

Yes there is a large bike rack across from the main entrance to the aquarium next to the washrooms - looks like room for about 20 bikes and it was nearly full when I went through there around noon.

Hope this helps who ever asked the original question.

Cheers

Dennis

Not sure on which thread the question was asked about a place to lock up your bike at the Aquarium so I will post this answer on a couple of threads.

Yes there is a large bike rack across from the main entrance to the aquarium next to the washrooms - looks like room for about 20 bikes and it was nearly full when I went through there around noon.

Hope this helps who ever asked the original question.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis that is very helpful! I am definitely planning on renting a bike for my day in Vancouver - hope to see Granville Island, Stanley Park, the aquarium, Gastown, and Chinatown all in one day...(not necessarily in that order). I'm looking forward to it already!

Thanks,

jj

My son has been able to contact a guide in Vancouver who he like a lot...the price for 5 hrs would be a little less than I thought...closer to $400 then $500 .... if you want to persue this let me know and we will have to find some way to link the two of you.