Vancouver Info if needed

If it's a weekend, then dreaming seems likely... if they're looking outside downtown there are options (e.g. Lonsdale Quay hotel for $125 on Sat 8th June, conveniently near the Seabus in North Van - but taxes will add almost $25 to that price) - but even if it's a weeknight, if they want under $130 including tax then it's Priceline/Hotwire, a luckily-timed Groupon or similar, something out near the airport or a motel in North Van.

Just a thought - why not ask DD to add hotel vouchers to their wedding list so they can treat themselves to a nice hotel? I have friends who've done this and it worked really well - instead of the regular thank you cards, they sent postcards from the hotels that people had paid for so both giver and receiver had a nice memory instead of another gravy boat!

They will be in Vancouver on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. The $130 is before taxes. They were looking at the Comfort Inn and Best Western, but the Comfort Inn reviews do not make the area sound very desirable and they were turned off by a review for BW from a reviewer who claimed to have had a bed bug experience. I tried to explain that most hotels, even 5 star hotels, have to deal with bed bugs. You just have to check out your room and bed carefully no matter where you stay.

They know they can use money from their wedding to fund this trip, but they would like to use their monetary gifts from the wedding for furniture or a down payment on a house. The are both quite thrifty young people, who are very careful with their spending. They will figure it out. I think Priceline is what they are going to have to go with.

When I saw your post on my iPad last night I immediately thought of the Lonsdale Quay Hotel and got a "super saver" rate of $135 plus tax for a mid June date. This would be for a standard room and likely would only have a peek-a-view of the harbour at best. We often stay at the LQH when in the city and have no trouble recommending it.

I had a considerable involvement with the Comfort Inn-Downtown and would not stay there and certainly not with my wife. The BW-Downtown on Drake St. is an excellent hotel and very popular with cruisers...if it had the bb issue I would think it was an isolated one. If you can get it for $130 then grab it. I would however avoid the BW-Château Granville if only because of its location.

It is going to be very hard to find a decent hotel at $130 incl. tax in downtown Vancouver during the summer unless it comes thru Hotwire or Priceline.

They will be in Vancouver on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. The $130 is before taxes. ... They know they can use money from their wedding to fund this trip, but they would like to use their monetary gifts from the wedding for furniture or a down payment on a house. The are both quite thrifty young people, who are very careful with their spending...

Sounds like they're sensible with their cash - good on them. I did remember one downtown hotel that would meet their price perfectly - the YWCA Hotel on Beatty St. For CAN$133 a night (before tax) they can have a double room with a private bathroom - and if they're willing to share a bathroom the price drops to $101 or $90. Since right now the US dollar is worth a hair more than ours, that CAN$133 rate is US$130... and if one or both are Students they can cut those rates even further.

We stayed in this hotel ourselves on our first trip to Vancouver - that was before Yaletown became trendy, we didn't find the neighbourhood bad at all then and it's significantly nicer now. Well-kitted out kitchens are available in the hotel, so they can cook a proper meal if they want to save a few bucks on dinner too. Go check them out on Tripadvisor - they're showing availability for M/T/W in the first two weeks of June right now, and the rates include cancellation right up to the day before arrival without a fee.

When I saw your post on my iPad last night I immediately thought of the Lonsdale Quay Hotel and got a "super saver" rate of $135 plus tax for a mid June date.

I checked it out and it looks great. Would they need a car to get there? If not, does the rail transportation from the airport get them near the Lonsdale Quay? They would also need to check if they can split up the three nights to get that deal, which I kind of doubt. They staying two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise.

I checked it out and it looks great. Would they need a car to get there? If not, does the rail transportation from the airport get them near the Lonsdale Quay? They would also need to check if they can split up the three nights to get that deal, which I kind of doubt. They staying two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise.

No, they can take the Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station where they would transfer to the SeaBus and walk what is about 3/4' of a block Thur the Lonsdale Quay Market into the hotel. When they leave they just catch the SeaBus to Waterfront Station and walk over to Canada Place. I have found that I can sometimes get a better deal by phoning the hotel.

I have a question about money. We are arriving at the Vancouver Airport and plan on taking a taxi to the Blue Horizon Hotel. We will be staying for 4 nights pre-cruise. I have prepaid for three tours for each day.

My question is, do we need to convert USD to CAD at the airport before getting a cab? Do the cabs take credit cards? If I need CAD where do I convert.

I read on Tripadvisor to use an ATM. Is that the best?

We will be using a credit card for most purchases, I am thinking a small amount of CAD would be helpful for small purchases such as snacks, cold drinks, and etc.

While it never hurts to have some $CDN, you will find that $US are widely accepted in Vancouver. Just about the only place or service that will not accept $US is our transit system, certainly your cab driver will accept it or for that matter a credit card. Once downtown you can choose if you want to go to a bank or an ATM to pick up a few $CDN.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't exactly feel like reading all 101 pages on this thread but...

going to be in Vancouver before our cruise from next Saturday afternoon the 27th (supposed to get it in at 11:40 on Amtrack) through Monday morning? What are the best "must do" things? We will be renting a car to drive ourselves around.

So far I was thinking the suspension bridge, granville island, and now grouse mountain after reading the beginning of this thread.

Are there any interesting tours that would take you around downtown or something? I like downtown areas yet am not a fan or trying to park at them.

I always find that a HOHO is a great way to see a lot of a city in a short period of time. Vancouver has four such services but the better one is Vancouver Trolley however the are not going to get you to Grouse Mtn. The suspension bridge does offer free shuttles from convenient locations within the downtown area...from the bridge you can catch a transit bus to the mountain and then back into the city. Granville Is. Can be accessed by either a HOHO or transit.

Don't exactly feel like reading all 101 pages on this thread but...

going to be in Vancouver before our cruise from next Saturday afternoon the 27th (supposed to get it in at 11:40 on Amtrack) through Monday morning? What are the best "must do" things? We will be renting a car to drive ourselves around.

So far I was thinking the suspension bridge, granville island, and now grouse mountain after reading the beginning of this thread.

Are there any interesting tours that would take you around downtown or something? I like downtown areas yet am not a fan or trying to park at them.

You might want to consider not renting a car as the downtown core isn't particularly easy to park in (and parking is in the 3-6$/hr range) Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park, QE Park, and the Granville Island Public market are all popular stops, and all easily reachable on a $9 all day public transit pass.

Unless it is sunny not sure that I would recommend Grouse at this time of the year - there is still a huge pile of snow up there - the ski season is just wrapping up and things like the logger's show, grizzly bears etc won't be up and running - they are unlikely to have any of the short trails cleared of snow and to go up there just to get some pictures on a sunny day at this time of the year is really a waste of time and money.

Your other suggestions are fine and I to don't recommend a vehicle - there is so much construction, sewer projects etc and roads impacted that even a local like me is getting frustrated trying to get around the downtown core on foot, by bike or by car and it won't be getting any better as we are just starting to get the weather that allows these projects to go ahead.

You also don't state where you are staying which could help us give you some more ideas.

Enjoy your visit and your cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes just saw that tonight after getting home from the bar watching that boring ugly hockey win by the Canucks but as the saying goes it's two points in the standing and for once we had our goalie steal a win for us.

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone know about the gym facility at the pan pacific? I read an older review that said it was awful -- accessed only through the parking garage. I wonder if this has been improved since that review.

To that end- do you know of a nice hotel with a nice gym? It may not be a make or break situation but my husband does like a decent facility.

Thanks!

We are preliminarily booked at the Sunset Inn - I know it's only a 2 1/2 star and I don't know what their gym facility looks like but we will have a car and they have free parking. I know a car isn't necessarily for normal touring but I suspect my husband will be up before daybreak and want to drive out of town to birdwatching areas before heading back into the city to have breakfast with me.

Now I am thinking about upgrading though I understand parking seems to be $35+ a night at better hotels which stings. If you know of a nice hotel with a reasonable parking rate -- I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Rachel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know about the gym facility at the pan pacific? I read an older review that said it was awful -- accessed only through the parking garage. I wonder if this has been improved since that review.

To that end- do you know of a nice hotel with a nice gym? It may not be a make or break situation but my husband does like a decent facility.

The Blue Horizon is about $150 a night and $15 a day for parking. It is in a good location and seems to have an ok gym with a lap pool.

Thanks!

We are preliminarily booked at the Sunset Inn - I know it's only a 2 1/2 star and I don't know what their gym facility looks like but we will have a car and they have free parking. I know a car isn't necessarily for normal touring but I suspect my husband will be up before daybreak and want to drive out of town to birdwatching areas before heading back into the city to have breakfast with me.

Now I am thinking about upgrading though I understand parking seems to be $35+ a night at better hotels which stings. If you know of a nice hotel with a reasonable parking rate -- I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Rachel

I think the Pan Pacific may have shared a health facility with the World Trade Centre some years ago but I believe this has subsequently been brought "in house" in recent years....but a call to the hotel would confirm this. The Fairmont Waterfront across the street from the Pan Pacific has a great health facility...or so I am told.

Hotels that would like be a bit of an upgrade from the Sunset that have parking packages and health facilities would include the Best Western - Downtown on Drake St. and Hampton Inn on Robson St. Parking in the downtown core is very expensive and anything you find under $25 per night is a deal.

Cruise is around the corner....will be arriving in Vancouver from the ship on May 17 and will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson St. What's the best way to get there from the cruise ship terminal? Also - can I get recommendations for good fish and chips and poutine! I love poutine and make my own but I am always up to trying one of my favorite foods!

Cruise is around the corner....will be arriving in Vancouver from the ship on May 17 and will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson St. What's the best way to get there from the cruise ship terminal? Also - can I get recommendations for good fish and chips and poutine! I love poutine and make my own but I am always up to trying one of my favorite foods!

To the Hampton Inn Robson Street (Robson @ Beattie), I would take a taxi, probably $10-12. Your other choice is take the Expo or Millennium line Skytrain (the entrance is right outside Canada Place), ride it 3 stops to Stadium Station (Dunsmuir @ Beattie St), and it's two blocks from there. (take the exit going UP from the platform, not down) $2.75/ea.

Also - can I get recommendations for good fish and chips and poutine! I love poutine and make my own but I am always up to trying one of my favorite foods!

Fish & chips are becoming increasingly difficult to find in Vancouver restaurants with people moving away from deep fried (myself not included). We had quite a thread going on the fish & chip topic about this time last year and likely someone will be along with the name of their favourite place for them as there will be some downtown pubs such as Rosie's on Robson and Mahoney & Sons, that will have them on their menus. In the meantime I can recommend the White Spot's who have two downtown locations and I will attach a link to some other suggested ones. I am not a poutine person so I will leave that to others as well.

http://vancouverfoodster.com/2011/08/09/the-best-fish-chips-in-vancouver/

There are a couple of very good 'fancy' poutines - Chambar and Edible Canada - if you want something a little different (think duck fat-fried frites, duck confit or braised beef and grated strong cheeses instead of a simple gravy & curds). If it's old-school cheap&cheerful poutine you want though, both Fritz (their website seems to be down today, so that's an Urbanspoon link) and La Belle Patate have their local champions.

As to the fish & chips, I've yet to have a bad battered fish at any of the local pubs - real English-Style beer batter is very common at any of the craft ale places (Tap & Barrel for example, who also have a great view across False Creek to downtown), and on the more modern side a super-crisp Tempura batter is also readily available (e.g. Fresh Local Wild one of our food trucks - who incidentally do a seafood poutine, though I haven't tried it myself).

The Fish Shack is *supposed* to be all about simply-cooked, fresh fish and I'm hearing good things about their fish & chips - I'm scheduled for dinner there with a buddy soon so I'll report back on how it is.

There are a couple of very good 'fancy' poutines - Chambar and Edible Canada - if you want something a little different (think duck fat-fried frites, duck confit or braised beef and grated strong cheeses instead of a simple gravy & curds). If it's old-school cheap&cheerful poutine you want though, both Fritz (their website seems to be down today, so that's an Urbanspoon link) and La Belle Patate have their local champions.

As to the fish & chips, I've yet to have a bad battered fish at any of the local pubs - real English-Style beer batter is very common at any of the craft ale places (Tap & Barrel for example, who also have a great view across False Creek to downtown), and on the more modern side a super-crisp Tempura batter is also readily available (e.g. Fresh Local Wild one of our food trucks - who incidentally do a seafood poutine, though I haven't tried it myself).

The Fish Shack is *supposed* to be all about simply-cooked, fresh fish and I'm hearing good things about their fish & chips - I'm scheduled for dinner there with a buddy soon so I'll report back on how it is.

Fresh Local Wild's seafood poutine is excellent, and I'm not really a poutine person so that's saying something.

As for real fish and chips, I can think of a few decent places in the suburbs, but nothing in downtown is jumping to mind; although based on their other pub fare, I'll bet that Moose's Fish&Chips are probably pretty good.

All that being said, you can visit dinehere.ca and narrow the cuisine down to "Fish & Chips" and get at least a couple that have downtown locations.

Edited by scottbee

Any ideas for an inexpensive stay in Vancouver for a solo traveler in early May? I am interested in doing a quick repositioning cruise and I would need to stay in Vancouver on the 10th. My DH does not want to go, and the hotel rates are higher than I want to pay to stay by myself.

Any ideas for an inexpensive stay in Vancouver for a solo traveler in early May? I am interested in doing a quick repositioning cruise and I would need to stay in Vancouver on the 10th. My DH does not want to go, and the hotel rates are higher than I want to pay to stay by myself.

You may care to try the YWCA.

I agree with Putterdude - the YWCA on Beatty St would be a good option and it is close enough to the pier and Yaletown and it's restaurants to be no more than $10.00 cab fare to the port - it is walkable if you don't have a lot of luggage.

http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Enjoy your visit.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
link added

Hey, thanks for the info on the poutine and the fish&chips. DH has to eat a heart healthy diet but since we are on vacation, he gets to splurge - doctor approved! He loves fish&chips so that's what he wants to splurge on. I've written down all your suggestions....me, can't wait to go to a place where people know what poutine even is :)