Vancouver Info if needed

Didn't miss a thing, first off the Delta's restaurant is not open for dinner...you can get some finger/sharing dishes in the lounge though. I personally consider consider their breakfast offerings in the $12 to $17 range expensive that why I suggested Tim's and the food court. I don't consider the dinner entrée prices at the Water Street Café starting at $16.50 and lots of entrées in the mid-$20 range expensive. Steamworks has many entrées in the $12 to $14 range (much like Malone's) and the Rogue's entrées start at $13 and topping out at $25.

I thought you'd missed the price angle not because you listed *more* expensive places, but places of remarkably similar price-point to the Delta restos - hence my comment about *not saving* money in response to a specific request for less expensive food. As to Malone's being 'much like' the pricing in Steamworks... the only entrees in the $12-14 mark in Steamworks are the chicken tenders and chilli bowl! All the 'pub faves' for that price or less are appetizer portions. If you count a burger as an entree, sure there are a couple for $13.99 - but Malone's charge $10 for any of theirs, and no extra charge for subbing a house salad unlike Steamworks...

I'll happily debate relative food quality and value until the proverbial cows come home - but price is not a relative term. Rather than quibble further, OP can compare online menus for all the venues listed and decide.

If you are going to comment on or reference an other person's post then you are leaving yourself open to a rebuttal. As you don't consider a burger an entree...which I am fine with....then there are some 7 entrées on the Steamworks menu under $15 as well as 6 pizzas. Thus my comment. I am not a huge fan of pub food and if I was to choose between Steamworks and Malone's I know where I would eat.

Always happy to learn that things have worked out for someone. Hope you have a great visit to our city and a wonderful cruise. Don't forget to wave to me as you sail by my home, I am about an hour after you sail under the Lions Gate bridge on the starboard side.

It's a deal , look for us coming in on the Coral 9/25/13 and leaving on the Sapphire 9/28/13.

Just put a yellow ribbion on the old oak tree and we will see it :) , we will wave and wish you well.

Cori

If you are going to comment on or reference an other person's post then you are leaving yourself open to a rebuttal. As you don't consider a burger an entree...which I am fine with....then there are some 7 entrées on the Steamworks menu under $15 as well as 6 pizzas. Thus my comment. I am not a huge fan of pub food and if I was to choose between Steamworks and Malone's I know where I would eat.

You say I'm open to a rebuttal - absolutely, public forum and all that. I welcome clarification of any incorrect facts in my posts. Indeed I've made mistakes in the past which others, including you, have picked up on - giving visitors the most accurate info is only to be applauded.

Your opinion on what & where you like to eat, how relatively expensive it might be for you, and even exactly what you choose to define as an entree is up to you and I'm not going to say you're wrong. The only info I've been disagreeing with you on was factual not relative - price, not value or quality.

But I do feel obliged to point out that you haven't actually rebutted any of my facts. Instead you changed your chosen price threshold upward from $14 to $15 - I assume to include the fish, salads & pasta at $14.99 as entrees - and further claim that a $15.99 Tempest Pizza is less than $15...

As I already said - OP has the info needed to check pricing personally, so shall we stop cluttering the boards further with more debate about easily-verified factual information?

But I do feel obliged to point out that you haven't actually rebutted any of my facts. Instead you changed your chosen price threshold upward from $14 to $15 - I assume to include the fish, salads & pasta at $14.99 as entrees - and further claim that a $15.99 Tempest Pizza is less than $15...

First off I feel obliged to point out that you felt it necessary to suggest that I had missed something that I clearly hadn't.

Further, I stand by my comment that Steamworks has many entrées in the $12 to $14 range....much like Malone's.

What I did make a mistake in was that I did miscount the number of pizzas and inadvertently included the Tempest.... and I should have been more clear in my definition of "the $14 range" so for all who may read this...sorry I did err and I shall try to be more precise in the future.:rolleyes:

You say I'm open to a rebuttal - absolutely, public forum and all that. I welcome clarification of any incorrect facts in my posts. Indeed I've made mistakes in the past which others, including you, have picked up on - giving visitors the most accurate info is only to be applauded.

Your opinion on what & where you like to eat, how relatively expensive it might be for you, and even exactly what you choose to define as an entree is up to you and I'm not going to say you're wrong. The only info I've been disagreeing with you on was factual not relative - price, not value or quality.

As I already said - OP has the info needed to check pricing personally, so shall we stop cluttering the boards further with more debate about easily-verified factual information?

I agree, Steamworks is certainly not a 'bargain'.

However, I can attest that if you want a good cheap burger, the new Fatburger (thge old Ricky's) in Waterfront Centre is pretty darn good. I was down there today, and the bacon-cheese-burger/fries/drink special is $9.99 and of very good quality. I suspect that this is new since the last time Putterdude visited the city.

Hi:

Just a bit of info from me and a lot to check out from here (thanks so much for sharing). lol I don't know anything more about it, accept the brief description.

Princess is offering a $69 Pink Bus on /off Tour which includes sending 2 suitcases to the airport when you get off the cruise (I assume they will have to be claimed before checking into your flight. with a train ticket (I need info about that) to the airport. My flight does not leave till 11 p.m., long day, but this seems perfect and hopefully I can see Vancouver as a tour and then get off to shop, sightsee, visit and see the sunset. I do need to find out their schedule, both for the bus & the train, and probably the luggage, so I can make sure I can make all the connections and not miss where I need to be when I need to be there. lol

Any info or suggestions about this or anything else would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Marianne

Just realized I will be in Vancouver 3 times, start, middle and end.

Diamond Princess 7/6/13-1/20/13 in Vancouver on the 6th, 13th & 20th lol obviously the longest on the 20th.

For $9/ea you can buy an all-day transit pass, which includes the train to the airport, and visit many many more places that the HoHos don't. Places like: Capilano, Grouse Mt, Lynn Canyon, QE Park, UBC Anthropology Museum, etc etc

Combine that with getting your bags to the airport using Priority Baggage, and I'm sure that's quite a bit cheaper than the Princess Transfer/Tour at $69/ea

Sorry to jump in here. ;)

I know this is the right thread, but don't have time to read through 100+ pages to see if anyone else has asked similar questions.

We are taking an Alaska cruise in August, ship departs on Sat, we (in our mid 40's, + 2 teenage kids) will fly in Wed afternoon. Staying at Hyatt Regency on Burrard street near the cruise terminal. We are wondering if we can take Sky-train from airport to the hotel. Besides Stanley park, what other attractions will you recommend? Any good place to eat around the hotel?

Thanks and please forgive me to jump in here.

In July we will be staying one night near YVR prior to our cruise. I have a couple of questions:

1. Our hotel is near Minoru Park and Richmond Centre. There seems to be a lot of restaurants in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Since the Richmond Brighouse Station is quite close we are thinking about taking Canada Line rather than a taxi to Canada Place. Is there a problem taking luggage aboard? How far is the walk to Canada Place?

Sorry to jump in here. ;)

I know this is the right thread, but don't have time to read through 100+ pages to see if anyone else has asked similar questions.

We are taking an Alaska cruise in August, ship departs on Sat, we (in our mid 40's, + 2 teenage kids) will fly in Wed afternoon. Staying at Hyatt Regency on Burrard street near the cruise terminal. We are wondering if we can take Sky-train from airport to the hotel. Besides Stanley park, what other attractions will you recommend? Any good place to eat around the hotel?

Thanks and please forgive me to jump in here.

The Hyatt is a great hotel and about as close to "center ice" as you can be in Vancouver. You can take one of the SkyTrain lines from Burrard Station to Waterfront Station and then transfer to the Canada Line out to YVR but it tends to be a hassle so we generally recommend walking the 3.5 blocks over to Vancouver Centre station and catching the Canada Line from there.

There are a lot of restaurants within a few blocks including a food court in Royal Centre that the Hyatt forms part of. There is a pretty good Chinese restaurant in Royal Centre and a couple of Japanese restaurants just a 1.5 blocks up Burrard St from the hotel. Joe Fortes is just a couple of blocks away on Thrulow and there is a Keg Steakhouse almost across the street from Fortes and a further half block to the south there is a Red Robin. There are dozens of restaurants up on Robson St., if we knew what you were looking for this would be a help.

Things that your children and you may care to see would include the Aquarium in Stanley Park, the Telus Science Centre, Granville Market, Gastown, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and the Grouse Mountain SkyRide.

Interesting .... no less than 6 Steamworks recomendations over the past few years and now it is not a "bargin".

I've didn't say it wasn't good, nor have I ever implied it's a bargain (bargin). I see no contradiction in that it can be both good and not inexpensive at the same time.

However, you won't see me talking about to use Skytrain in one sentence, and then insult those walking the couple of blocks involved by referring to them as Gypsies.

I really don't understand why you try and discredit the opinion of other locals when you no longer live in or near Vancouver, and haven't for many years. Others that do live here may have differing opinions to your own, it doesn't make them wrong or somehow inferior to yours, just different.

I am in the city a lot more than you know about and have a knowledge of the city that is much deeper than yours....so get over it.

Now how are we to treat this post on May 22, 2010 when a poster asked about moderate priced restaurants is this good advice or???

Originally Posted by bobalink viewpost.gif

We like everything! Seafood and salad or burger and a beer. Moderate prices, and a view would be nice, too.;)

Thanks!

OK, if you like great burgers and great beer, ride Skytrain all the way to waterfront, ignore my previous comment about exiting on Granville street, and follow the crowd down into Waterfront station. Exit waterfront station, turn left, and head one blcok to your left (building next door east of Waterfront Stn) for STEAMWORKS PUB.

In July we will be staying one night near YVR prior to our cruise. I have a couple of questions:

1. Our hotel is near Minoru Park and Richmond Centre. There seems to be a lot of restaurants in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Since the Richmond Brighouse Station is quite close we are thinking about taking Canada Line rather than a taxi to Canada Place. Is there a problem taking luggage aboard? How far is the walk to Canada Place?

I'll start with your Canada Line question. Luggage is real easy to take on the trains. They were built to handle luggage since the trains also travel to the airport. During the day, the trains run every 6 minutes from this station. Assuming that you are either staying at the Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott it is about a 5 minute walk to the station. You can cut through the parking lot of Richmond Centre to get to Saba Road and the train station.

As for the restaurants in the area, I'm not much help. If you are adventurous, there are many asian restaurants in the area. Also, if you walk over to No 3 Road and turn left, about a block or two away there is a Boston Pizza, White Spot or Cactus Club. I have read that Harold's Bistro and Bar in the Sheraton is good but have not eaten there myself.

What kind of food and price range are you looking at and are you wanting something within walking distance? We dine in Richmond quite often as we live south of R, but work in Vancouver.

As Tweedy mentioned, there are lots of Asian (mostly Chinese) restaurants nearby. Here are a few: Empire Seafood, our current favourite, at Westminster Highway & No. 3 (upstairs by London Drugs); Kirin, across the street, but a bit on the pricey side; Ebisu (Japanese) is at Ackroyd & No. 3 - casual with moderate prices. If you're interested, I can give you other recommendations for Asian.

Western cuisine:

White Spot - 2 locations; one at Richmond Centre, the other on No. 3 Road . You can't go wrong here with moderate prices and casual atmosphere. It's a local BC favourite. They serve burgers as well as a good selection of everything from pastas to chicken pot pie. I prefer the Richmond Centre location because of the service. The No. 3 location is a free-standing building and is prettier, but service tends to be spotty.

The American Grille: at the Marriott on Westminster Highway & Minoru

We've only been there for brunch, but it was very good. It has good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Cactus Club Cafe: on No. 3 and Lansdowne Rd

Okay, but haven't been for awhile. Tends to attract a youngish clientele.

If you're willing to take a short taxi ride, say under $10:

The Boathouse - on River Road; good seafood as well as meat entrees. We've never had a bad meal there. Price range is moderate to expensive.

There's also the food court at Richmond Centre. It's been recently remodeled with some interesting choices if you just want a quick bite.

For $9/ea you can buy an all-day transit pass, which includes the train to the airport, and visit many many more places that the HoHos don't. Places like: Capilano, Grouse Mt, Lynn Canyon, QE Park, UBC Anthropology Museum, etc etc

Combine that with getting your bags to the airport using Priority Baggage, and I'm sure that's quite a bit cheaper than the Princess Transfer/Tour at $69/ea

First let me thank any and all of you that take the time and are gracious enough to even research things for us, and continue to give information and suggestions, even when the questions are asked over & over, which I'm guessing happens (probably often:o). :)

Now for me......I have not checked out priority baggage yet, I hope to find the site and the info. On the transportation pass......are there many buses? Schedules? Routes? or is it one bus that goes everywhere and I could get on and off. (I would need to know how long and far things are and spending some time to look around, I would need) & is some of this on the train, guess I would need someway to make a schedule if trying to plan...........as I said earlier my plane does not leave till 11 p.m., but however my luggage gets to the airport, I would have to retrieve it (is the place where it is stored open 24 hours? take long to get? How much time should I allow and how far from terminal(s) & is there only 1 terminal or many? Again I am a senior traveling alone, no direction sense, but, can manage lol.

eeeek:eek: I know those are many questions and some no one may know the answers too, but, there seems to be a world of knowledge out there or the easier way to get it, lol

Again I thank the wonderful people who volunteer to share and help us travelers.

Hope I have not overloaded everyone.....:o

Marianne

Well I just tired their site and all I see on any of their pages is a pin blip for their location.:( Am I doing something wrong? sighhhhh

Here is a link to Priority Baggage Services, unfortunately the site is not up to date and is frustrating. However I have spoken with them in the past few weeks and have been assured that they are operating out of Canada Place and are doing luggage transfers to the airport...I did not ask about fees though...they are terrible about answering email. http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/services.html

As for transit buses, they can be a great way to get from point A to point B but they are not a tour, there is no narration and you are not likely that you are going to learn much about the city...they are what they are, transit. If you only want to see just a couple of things in the city they will be just fine but if you want to see a lot in a brief time they IMO are not the answer. As I read your posts, I could be wrong but I suspect you would be better off with the Princess HOHO excursion.

That's as far as I will take, I am certain someone will be along to extol the virtues of taking transit.

I'll start with your Canada Line question. Luggage is real easy to take on the trains. They were built to handle luggage since the trains also travel to the airport. During the day, the trains run every 6 minutes from this station. Assuming that you are either staying at the Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott it is about a 5 minute walk to the station. You can cut through the parking lot of Richmond Centre to get to Saba Road and the train station.

As for the restaurants in the area, I'm not much help. If you are adventurous, there are many asian restaurants in the area. Also, if you walk over to No 3 Road and turn left, about a block or two away there is a Boston Pizza, White Spot or Cactus Club. I have read that Harold's Bistro and Bar in the Sheraton is good but have not eaten there myself.

Thanks for the info--we are at the Sheraton so that should make things easy to the station.

First let me thank any and all of you that take the time and are gracious enough to even research things for us, and continue to give information and suggestions, even when the questions are asked over & over, which I'm guessing happens (probably often:o). :)

Now for me......I have not checked out priority baggage yet, I hope to find the site and the info. On the transportation pass......are there many buses? Schedules? Routes? or is it one bus that goes everywhere and I could get on and off. (I would need to know how long and far things are and spending some time to look around, I would need) & is some of this on the train, guess I would need someway to make a schedule if trying to plan...........as I said earlier my plane does not leave till 11 p.m., but however my luggage gets to the airport, I would have to retrieve it (is the place where it is stored open 24 hours? take long to get? How much time should I allow and how far from terminal(s) & is there only 1 terminal or many? Again I am a senior traveling alone, no direction sense, but, can manage lol.

eeeek:eek: I know those are many questions and some no one may know the answers too, but, there seems to be a world of knowledge out there or the easier way to get it, lol

Again I thank the wonderful people who volunteer to share and help us travelers.

Hope I have not overloaded everyone.....:o

Marianne

I'm talking about the local transit system, which encompasses the elevated/subway trains (collectively called Skytrain), local bus system and Seabus (the passenger ferry between Vancouver and North Vancouver). http://www.bctransit.com/ is their website. $9 buys you a day pass good on all of the above.

The HoHo that the cruise line is offering is the pink bus, which operates just in the downtown city core http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

What kind of food and price range are you looking at and are you wanting something within walking distance? We dine in Richmond quite often as we live south of R, but work in Vancouver.

As Tweedy mentioned, there are lots of Asian (mostly Chinese) restaurants nearby. Here are a few: Empire Seafood, our current favourite, at Westminster Highway & No. 3 (upstairs by London Drugs); Kirin, across the street, but a bit on the pricey side; Ebisu (Japanese) is at Ackroyd & No. 3 - casual with moderate prices. If you're interested, I can give you other recommendations for Asian.

Western cuisine:

White Spot - 2 locations; one at Richmond Centre, the other on No. 3 Road . You can't go wrong here with moderate prices and casual atmosphere. It's a local BC favourite. They serve burgers as well as a good selection of everything from pastas to chicken pot pie. I prefer the Richmond Centre location because of the service. The No. 3 location is a free-standing building and is prettier, but service tends to be spotty.

The American Grille: at the Marriott on Westminster Highway & Minoru

We've only been there for brunch, but it was very good. It has good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Cactus Club Cafe: on No. 3 and Lansdowne Rd

Okay, but haven't been for awhile. Tends to attract a youngish clientele.

If you're willing to take a short taxi ride, say under $10:

The Boathouse - on River Road; good seafood as well as meat entrees. We've never had a bad meal there. Price range is moderate to expensive.

There's also the food court at Richmond Centre. It's been recently remodeled with some interesting choices if you just want a quick bite.

Thanks for the input. With so many places close by we will probably walk somewhere. Those you mention sound good. We get in early so we may try Richmond Centre for lunch and one of the other places for dinner--probably one of the moderate priced ones. I guess we'll wait to see if we're in the mood for American or Asian food that night.

Allow me ...given I took the pictures

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.528374&z=12

photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...erfrontStation

At YVR simply follow the crowd of people toward the car park out of the international arrivals. As soon as you cross the street, take the elevator or escalator to the top floor (of the car park), which is where the station is. Skytrain takes you all the way downtown to 'Waterfront Station'. At the final stop, DON'T follow the mass crowd down the hallway, but do a 180 and there's an elevator/stairs "Exit to Granville Street", take that and you're at the corner of Granville and W.Hastings. From there you should be able to see your ship at Canada Place (which will be 2 blocks north, 1 west of where you are). This particular photos shows you what I mean, that's the exit to the street: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...60022220047170

I was trying to figure out a way to save this information & it might be helpful to others. Hope I did it right. I also know there are many routes, trains, buses, etc. Will have to see about that, or maybe someone here can help figure out a plan that won't have me lost forever. lol On my last day July 20, 2013 when my UA flight does not leave till 11 p.m.

I was tr

Edited by gardener718

We get in early so we may try Richmond Centre for lunch and one of the other places for dinner...

Richmond Centre's food court just went through a revitalization with plenty of choices for lunch. click here for list of food retailers

Edited by Tweedy

Allow me ...given I took the pictures

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.528374&z=12

photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...erfrontStation

At YVR simply follow the crowd of people toward the car park out of the international arrivals. As soon as you cross the street, take the elevator or escalator to the top floor (of the car park), which is where the station is. Skytrain takes you all the way downtown to 'Waterfront Station'. At the final stop, DON'T follow the mass crowd down the hallway, but do a 180 and there's an elevator/stairs "Exit to Granville Street", take that and you're at the corner of Granville and W.Hastings. From there you should be able to see your ship at Canada Place (which will be 2 blocks north, 1 west of where you are). This particular photos shows you what I mean, that's the exit to the street: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...60022220047170

I was trying to figure out a way to save this information & it might be helpful to others. Hope I did it right. I also know there are many routes, trains, buses, etc. Will have to see about that, or maybe someone here can help figure out a plan that won't have me lost forever. lol On my last day July 20, 2013 when my UA flight does not leave till 11 p.m.

I was tr

Hard to believe I took those nearly 4 years ago.