Vancouver Info if needed

For weekend travel, is a 1 zone ticket book sufficient since it's supposed to be a flat $2.50 on weekends? Will the 1 zone ticket be enough for the train to YVR from Canada Place, or would we need to add to it? I don't think it applies for the airport route, but Monday is a holiday.

Edited by tomoyo

For weekend and the holiday Monday travel the book of $2.50 tickets will be just fine. When traveling from Canada Place to YVR the convenience fee is not payable and with your prepaid ticket you would be exempt from the fee even if you were traveling the route in reverse...so yes the $2.50 ticket is all you need use.

For weekend travel, is a 1 zone ticket book sufficient since it's supposed to be a flat $2.50 on weekends? Will the 1 zone ticket be enough for the train to YVR from Canada Place, or would we need to add to it? I don't think it applies for the airport route, but Monday is a holiday.

yes, it's flat one zone at weekend. However, on single tickets purchased at the the airport, there's always a $5 surcharge, so it's $7.50 if you buy it on the platform. Buy a book of 10 one-zone ($21) or 10 two-zone ($31.50) tickets to avoid the surcharge as they don't have a surcharge.

If it's a Holiday in Canada, then the weekend (one zone) rate would apply.

Q: What’s the difference between Frequent Flyer Miles and the Toronto Maple Leafs?

A: Frequent Flyer Miles earn points.

Q: What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Titanic have in common?

A: They both look good until they hit the ice!

dark-colored-losers-since-67_design.png

Can you tell me if it is doable to do Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mtn. In one day?

Also, what is the best way to get there from downtown(we are staying at the Best Western). Is it better to rent a car for the day?

Thank You very much,

Linda

It's easy, as they're not really too far apart. From downtown take Seabus across Burrard Inlet and then the #236 bus goes right past Capilano on the way to Grouse Mt. Cost for Seabus/bus is $3.75 (one 2-zone ticket). While you could rent a car, parking can be expensive downtown, and driving in downtown like most major cities can be fairly stressful/gridlocked

This map should help: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.32915,-123.061981&spn=0.183473,0.271568

Both attractions are quite doable in a day but it certainly not necessary to rent a car unless you have other reasons to do so. Both the Caplilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain offer a free shuttle service and the attractions are only 5 mins apart. Grouse does not have their summer shuttle sked on their site yet but here is a link to both attractions. You could take the CSB's shuttle then when finished you could take the #236 bus to Grouse and then take their free shuttle back to downtown; the fare on the transit bus would be $2.50 pp or $1.75 if over age 65. The shuttle itself is operated by the Vancouver Trolley Company under a contract....enjoy your day.

http://www.capbridge.com/plan.php

http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours

It's easy, as they're not really too far apart. From downtown take Seabus across Burrard Inlet and then the #236 bus goes right past Capilano on the way to Grouse Mt. Cost for Seabus/bus is $3.75 (one 2-zone ticket). While you could rent a car, parking can be expensive downtown, and driving in downtown like most major cities can be fairly stressful/gridlocked

This map should help: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.32915,-123.061981&spn=0.183473,0.271568

Thanks Scottbee I appreciate the help. I'm think this outing will take the entire day. How often do you think the buses run? Is there a website I can go to about the buses?

Linda

I would plan to spend about 2 hrs at the bridge and 3 hrs on the mountain plus about 35/45mins traveling on transit in either direction. The SeaBuses operate every mins during the major part of the day but here is a link to their schedule.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineName=998&LineAbbr=998

Thanks Scottbee I appreciate the help. I'm think this outing will take the entire day. How often do you think the buses run? Is there a website I can go to about the buses?

Linda

Seabus operates every 15 minutes, I believe the #236 is every half hour (might be every 15), but http://www.translink.ca/ can answer all of those kind of questions.

I have another question for you guys. I plan on going to Stanley Park and doing the downtown sites including the tower, so I thought it would be faster and cheaper to do the Vancouver Trolley for both the park and downtown. They say online that the last Trolley is at 3:00pm from Canada Place. That is kind of early? They do have a special of $35 for seniors for a 2 day pass if you purchase online. I'm not sure how much I would be able to use the trolley for 2 days since one day I am going to Grouse Mtn. and the Capillano Bridge. And I will only have an afternoon when I arrive on the first day and one other full day before I board the ship. Since it cost $10 for the trolley for Stanley Park, I thought this sounds good what do you all think?

Thanks Again

Linda

I have another question for you guys... They say online that the last Trolley is at 3:00pm from Canada Place. That is kind of early?... I'm not sure how much I would be able to use the trolley for 2 days since one day I am going to Grouse Mtn. and the Capillano Bridge. And I will only have an afternoon when I arrive on the first day and one other full day before I board the ship. Since it cost $10 for the trolley for Stanley Park, I thought this sounds good what do you all think?

First, the 3:00pm last trolley is for the Winter schedule - changes over at the end of April. I don't want to assume that the Summer sched will be same as last year, but you should definitely have several extra hours of trolleys per day - and in summer there are two shorter loops rather than one huge one (which makes each loop more like 1 hour than 2 in length). I think you said previously your cruise was late June so you'll have plenty of time after the summer schedule comes out to finalize your plans.

Second, if you're already planning to get the HOHO and visit Grouse/Capilano, compare the pricing to add those excursions onto your HOHO if you haven't already.

Third, in terms of getting value from the HOHO in a day-and-a-half rather than 2 full days - IMHO if you're the kind of person who finds a HOHO a good deal, then the first day alone is worth it. Getting a free half-day instead of a free whole-day extra is still gravy:)

Fourth, comparing regular trolley with Stanley Park Shuttle - there are extra stops on the latter (I think there are 11 Shuttle stops cf 4 regular & 2 'flag it down' stops on the Trolley red loop). If you have the inclination to walk around a little, i.e. actually use the Hop On & Off aspect, you probably won't find the extra shuttle stops worth $10 after already buying a full HOHO ticket, but do look at the Stanly Park map below and compare with the full Trolley Route so you can decide yourself:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/pdf/stanleypark_printable.pdf

Looking to spend the day at Stanley Park in May; will be staying at Pan Pacific. Does anyone know if the hotel offers discount HOHO tickets if purchased at the hotel? Or, is it better to purchase direct from vendor?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Karen

First, the 3:00pm last trolley is for the Winter schedule - changes over at the end of April. I don't want to assume that the Summer sched will be same as last year, but you should definitely have several extra hours of trolleys per day - and in summer there are two shorter loops rather than one huge one (which makes each loop more like 1 hour than 2 in length). I think you said previously your cruise was late June so you'll have plenty of time after the summer schedule comes out to finalize your plans.

Second, if you're already planning to get the HOHO and visit Grouse/Capilano, compare the pricing to add those excursions onto your HOHO if you haven't already.

Third, in terms of getting value from the HOHO in a day-and-a-half rather than 2 full days - IMHO if you're the kind of person who finds a HOHO a good deal, then the first day alone is worth it. Getting a free half-day instead of a free whole-day extra is still gravy:)

Fourth, comparing regular trolley with Stanley Park Shuttle - there are extra stops on the latter (I think there are 11 Shuttle stops cf 4 regular & 2 'flag it down' stops on the Trolley red loop). If you have the inclination to walk around a little, i.e. actually use the Hop On & Off aspect, you probably won't find the extra shuttle stops worth $10 after already buying a full HOHO ticket, but do look at the Stanly Park map below and compare with the full Trolley Route so you can decide yourself:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/pdf/stanleypark_printable.pdf

Thank you I didn't realize there are 2 HOHO's, the Trolley and the Bus. The Trolly doesn't go to Grouse Mtn., at least I don't think they do. The cost for the bus for 2 days is $40 for seniors and the add on for Grouse Mtn. is $79. I am not sure if it also sts at the Capillano Bridge also, it doesn't say online. But it sounds like it uses public transportation. Here is what they say:

Grouse Mountain is the perfect place to plan a day-date with Big Bus. Simply hop off at stop #2 downtown, catch the SeaBus to the North Shore and take the #236 right to the hill.

What do you think just get the 2 day pass on either the trolley or bus or the add on of Grouse Mtn.?

Linda

Thank you I didn't realize there are 2 HOHO's, the Trolley and the Bus. The Trolly doesn't go to Grouse Mtn., at least I don't think they do. The cost for the bus for 2 days is $40 for seniors and the add on for Grouse Mtn. is $79. I am not sure if it also sts at the Capillano Bridge also, it doesn't say online. But it sounds like it uses public transportation. Here is what they say:

Grouse Mountain is the perfect place to plan a day-date with Big Bus. Simply hop off at stop #2 downtown, catch the SeaBus to the North Shore and take the #236 right to the hill.

What do you think just get the 2 day pass on either the trolley or bus or the add on of Grouse Mtn.?

Linda

You're better off just buying all-day bus passes (good on Skytrain/Bus/Seabus), for $9 http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx available at most convenience stores (7-11 and the like) or ticket vending machines at most Skytrain (except airport) locations.

That $9 ticket will take you to a lot more places than the HoHos will, and will operate a lot more frequently. of course you lose the pre-canned narration, but a $10 guide book with probably give you more information anyway.