We Thought our Cruise was Great

JoeandSheryl

Well except for the weather which Costa has no control over.

We thought the cruise was great. Our cabin was always spotless and our steward very friendly and helpful. Our waiters Mario and Johnie were some of the best we ever had. We thought the food was very good, and more then we could eat. I had eggs benedict every day we ate in the main restauarant for Breakfast We did come to the Atrium Bar but it was very crowded and we didn't get to meet anyone from cruise critic. My wife was sick all day Saturday due to the weather we talked to some people from the Zenith and it sounded like there ship handled the weather worse then the Magica. We had a Great time in Bermuda rode the bus everywhere and had a great time at horseshoe bay and others we walked on. We also had a great time on Rose Island in the Bahamas. They also had several craft sessions where they supplied everthing my wife made a great bowl and helped teach the flower making class. We have been on 8 Cruises with 4 different lines and thought Costa was as good as any of them and by Far the best value.

We will Sail costa again anytime.

If anyone has any questions just ask.

Joe and Sheryl:)

Hi Joe and Sheryl, Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. It's good to see some veteran cruisers hold Costa in high esteem. It seems that several reviews lately were from people who felt that Costa didn't measure up to their favorite lines. I think part of the disparity may stem from the fact that people are paying a wide range of fare rates. We found Costa to be a great value for the price.

mondello - I think you could be right about this point, because a huge number of Floridians bought their cabins at rock bottom prices right before sailing, which I might add, is not unusual for all cruise lines. However, this price was especially low. On the other hand we spoke to quite a few people who paid $1,000 + pp for the same cruise. While the budget crusers did get a good deal, I think the ones who paid top dollar could have spent their cruise dollars more wisely, and received a much better experience for the same amount. I would think menu's are planned well in advance of sailings and they wouldn't cut back on the food if they have to sell the cruise out at a very low price. Since I don't know anything about the opperations aspect of cruise lines, perhaps this does happen, but it really is unfair to the people who pay a much higher price if they do cut back.

Hi MEK, I'm sure my opinion of the value would differ if I paid top dollar. I booked at $499PP about 6 weeks in advance and lucked out finding airfare from Ohio to Florida for $128PP. I won $750 slotpot in Nassau on Sat. and more the final night on the Magica, so we I was definitely in a good mood. I'm not up on cruise line operations, but I really don't see how they can make menu changes that late in the season. I would think that they would stick to the program after preparing the menu week after week. My impression of the people talking about cutbacks is that the cruise lines are not offering such lavish buffet spreads as in the past. I'd think that it would be so much easier to not change the menu as they probably have the art of ordering provisions every week down to a science. As for those who pay top dollar, that could be necessary for those that want a specific cabin, such as: Suite, Handicapped, Aft Balcony, etc. Regardless of the last minute price cutting, they obviously thought it was a good deal when they booked it. This occurs often in travel on cruises and airfares, too. I can't speak for others, but I grew up in the age of instant gratification and I can't for the life of me book a cruise a year in advance. I want to go now! My name is Mondello, and I am a cruise addict.

I would say this cruise was equal to ones we have paid more money for.

We chose it because of where it was sailing and thought it would be fun to meet more Europeans. We did get a good value but I think it is more related to being a smarter cruiser. We have been receiving great rates quotes on other lines two. On this cruise we started with an inside but talked Costa into an outside ocean view when they dropped their rates. Our next cruise we have a mini suite just because we got such a great price and if they drop the rates I will try for a suite. The food selection for us was more then amble and I though the buffets were some of the best for keeping food fresh and hot. I say them talking food temperatures all the time.

Joe and Sheryl:)

I'm on the Magica from FLL to Copenhagen. We are currently in NYC for a 2 night stay before proceeding to LeHavre. So far the Magica has been very impressive and one of the best ships we've experienced. This is our 18th cruise but our first on a Costa. Now that we have tried it, we will continue coming back. I will write a review when I come back on the 23rd.

Our family was on the April 9th western Carribean cruise and had the very same waiters. They were the best wait staff we have every had. Our kids, 4 and 7 really bonded with them and also the other waiters who were using the waiter stations near us. My son did not like the pizza on the kids menu and Mario had the kitchen fix him a specially plain cheese pizza every night.

We had an absolutely wonderful time on our cruise, our second on Costa. It was a little crowded at times and the non-American guests frequently conveniently forgot the concept of forming a line. My 7 year old boy saw this often and complained loudly they were taking cuts. I really enjoyed the mix of people and it was great exposure for our kids. My son would talk to spanish speaking children as best he could as he is learning it in school. He thought that was neat.

The ship is far better is person than the pictures suggest. Teak decks, doors and rails added to the ship feel. I thought it would be a little cheezy with the Italian city theme but was pleasantly surprised. The layout was very good to get around generally. Getting to our dinning room proved a little difficult, but we quickly figured it out. Our cabin, which was room 1230, was in the bow on Deck 1, with a large window. We booked within 3 months of sailing, getting one of the last window rooms, but I am glad we got the room we did. It was very nice. Being up front we actually heard the sound of the water coming off the bow as it went through some decent seas on part of the cruise. That was heaven. The kids loved sitting in the window recess and watching the water go by. I hessitated getting a balcony due to the 4 year old. This room was perfect. Also, being lower, I believe the ship movement during the rough days was less pronounced. I love the movement anyway. Acoustically, we rarely heard anything from outside our room, but then again, we only had the crew deck below us.

Our cabin steward whom I can't remember his name was outstanding. He figured out our schedule and had our room arranged for us perfectly everyday. He would arrange the kids beds, with their stuffed animals, a nice touch, pluss we had turn down service with candy every night. He worked his butt off and we gave him a nice extra tip, on top of the charges the ship automatically incurrs on your account.

Leigh, one of the cruise staff, greeted us on arrival in the main theater and was always bright, cheerful, and energetic throughout the cruise. The cruise director Max was outstanding as well. At first I did not think so, but after seeing him work the ship and the people I can say that he really does a nice job with all. The evening shows were a highlight, especially with his commentary.

A side note, I remember somewhat annoying public announcements when on the Costa Victoria being very loud and in every language. This cruise, I basically heard non of that. Maybe because they dealt with most of the ships info in the daily news letter. We di find that it frequently had errors in it, particulary in the Squok Club schedule.

I have to mention the Squok Club for the kids. The staff were outstanding and my kids truly bonded with them. The staff remebered their names after the first time. Most were Italian and my son really got a kick out of trying to learn Italian word with them. The kids begged to go every night to the evening activities. I think anyone with kids our ages will have no problem on this ship. I heard that some of the teenagers were bored, though. The kids especially loved the big waterslide. The only downslide was it wasn't open enough hours during the day for them.

Getting both on and off the ship were painless in Port Everglades. We arrived early and were actually in our cabin WITH luggage by noon! It does pay to get there early. Since we were getting picked up locally, we were the last group to get off the ship, but we waited in the theater and listened to the wonderful accent of Leigh (from Wales) helping in the disembarcation process.

The food was plentiful and good. I would not rant and rave about it. We love italian food in general and every night you could select a special themed group of entrees if you wish. We had a so so turkey dinner our final night. The buffets had slightly different selections depending on the area and had an European flair to them. The kids loved the pizza and the soft serve. We actually never made it to the midnight buffet. We were exhausted with the shore excursions and the kids.

We had great shore excursions, starting right off the first day at Key West. We did the butterfly conservatory trip, which I thought was going to be lame. It wasn't at all. I highly recommend it. We did have a LONG SLOW catamaran trip at Cozumel to Playa de ..... where we did the Discovery Cove thing with the dolphins. The ride back was very hot and severla people got sick. Not Costa's doing, but they should consider a different operator if they can't keep the AC working. There were no windows to open either. We stopped in Montego Bay. Not sure why we couldn't go to Ocho Rios, but anyway, we took the trip to DUnns River Falls. It was a 2 hour ride each way, which I suspected it would be, having been there before, but several in the bus were unaware of this. The last stop was in Freeport and by then, we were about islanded out, seeing the same crafts at every port. We took a taxi to Port Lucacea and spent time on the beach.

We were all sad to leave the ship. My kids both said it was too short. Seven days went by way too fast. My son wants to go back for a longer cruise. I only wish I had this experience on the QE2 several years ago, where I had expected more. I highly recommend Costa, especially if you like a worldly class of passengers. I could not find a single crew member who did not respond in a friendly way to passengers, even if they were rude. Clearly, they have have some good training. I wonder if any of the Princess people have had any influence with the running of the ship as in Cunard. I am so fond of the ship that I am seriously considering the same ship for next year, doing an eastern Carribean cruise. I was not on the dreaded cruise the following week, but did see my fair share of unsupervised children. We were on during the Easter break time and I was told by Max that there wer 600 kids on the ship!

Can't wait till next Spring to cruise again. About the only thing I wish they would do is add the movies under the stars that Princess has or the big screen that we saw on the Carnival sistership that was in port when we were. I think it was the Liberty, which is basically the same ship, stretched, with the Carnival funnel.

Archived