Radiance - cabin door locks...what do you do?

cruisetek

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and posted about this on the RCCL board, but thought I might get some good input here - we're going to be traveling on the Radiance in 2007 to Alaska, with our DS who will be 4 years old. He's tall for his age, and we haven't yet vacationed with him since he's outgrown a crib - I'm a bit worried about the cabin door locks, and whether DS might possibly be able to open the door during the night.

We're staying in an Owner's Suite, and I've already been informed that the balcony doors do have child locks, which is great! It's just the cabin door that I'm worried about now - DS isn't prone to wandering or anything like that, but I'm still a bit neurotic and afraid that if we're in a deep sleep there's that chance that he could get the door open and we might not hear it. I was told that the doors only have a twist lock - which DS is tall enough to reach and open (he can get the doors open at home - which is why we have added these extra magnetic locking things that prevent him from being able to). Does anyone have any ideas of how I might be able to secure the door during the night? As I said, I don't *think* it will be a problem, but I'd rather KNOW it won't be a problem, KWIM? :)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Totally hear you...We've had balcony cabins when I've worried more about the doors to the hallway. First: trust that you're never so deeply asleep that you won't hear him moving. Add to that a stroller, pile of shoes, etc. in front of the door. No way he'll navigate it without you realizing it. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I'm thinking a pile of stuff in front of the door might be a problem if, God forbid, there was a fire. What if you made a little string of jingle bells and hung them on the door handle? That way you'd hear your son if he was trying to open the door, but not have a tripping hazard.

Lisa

They make plastic covers to go over door handles. I can't remember what the handles were like on the ROS. The plastic thingy goes over the door handle (Round house door type) and then needs to be squeezed and turned at the same time. Don't think a 4yo could manage this feat. Talk to him about this, just like you will talkto him about behavior on the plane (if needed), in the dining room, indoor voices, talking to strangers, what to do if seperated, the normal things you talk to a 4yo about.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree, the door handles are not the rounded, because of the disability factor. And loading things in front of the door could be a fire hazard.

They make 2 types of alarms (just google for "Travel door alarm") One goes on the handle, may be a problem if the handle won't "hold" it. The other looks like a door wedge or door stop. It will alarm loudly if someone tries to get in (or out) of your door.

http://www.travelinginspain.com/travel_store/hotel_security.htm

http://www.quakepro.com/SafetyTech/alarm.htm

Check your local swimming pool supply store. They always have a variety of door alarms....you just want one that isn't too loud....no sense in panicing the neighbors!!!:eek:

Go to your local hardware store and buy one of those rubber door stops. Push it as far as you can under the door, so that even if he unlocks the door, he won't be able to open it. I don't think a four year old will be strong enough to pull open those heavy doors that's jammed with a rubber door stop.

Great ideas, everyone - thanks so much!! I like the idea of the door alarm, but am definitely concerned that IF it were to go off, it would be disturbing to the folks around us....I'm thinking that the bells on the handle or the doorstop idea are probably the way to go. I just want to know that there will be some kind of sound or obstacle :)

Dumb that I couldn't think of these things myself, I know - funny how the most obvious solutions can elude you sometimes! Thanks again for all your replies.

Keep in mind that your son will change and mature ALOT between now and next summer so it's possible or likely this won't even be a concern for you by then! We've cruised a a few times with our young kids and opening a door to get out into the hallway doesn't even make the Top 10 of our concerns in regards to cruising with toddlers. Relax and have a great cruise!

Archived