Oregon Coast Information Needed

As part of a Northwest vacation, we will be spending some time on the coast of Oregon from Newport south to Crescent City, Calif., with a side trip to Crater Lake. Any info. about where to stay, what to do, where to eat would be sooo appreciated. Thanks, gg

Besides doing a Google search, here is one site: http://www.oldoregon.com. I think there is also one like http://www.pacific101.com, but I can't find where I wrote it down! Frommer's or Fodor's has an "Oregon Guide Book" that may be your best source. Most of the cities/towns have web-sites, too. If all else fails, go to the Royal Carribean Roll Calls, and read the 5/21 Radiance and 5/21 Serenade threads--there are many web-sites in the posts, although the focus is on the Astoria area because it is a port of call.

Plenty to do along the Oregon Coast, but alot depends on your interests. Are you looking to camp, stay in a luxury hotel, or somewhere in-between? Are you wanting to do outdoorsy activities like fishing or hiking or touristy things like aquariums and such? The time of year you go also makes a difference as to which activities are better. I've lived near the Oregon Coast most of my life and we are always discovering new things to do and see. If you can give me a general idea about what you are looking for, I would be more than happy to help if I can.:D

One thing I can say for sure.......CRATER LAKE IS A MUST SEE!!!

AJ

As part of a Northwest vacation, we will be spending some time on the coast of Oregon from Newport south to Crescent City, Calif., with a side trip to Crater Lake. Any info. about where to stay, what to do, where to eat would be sooo appreciated. Thanks, gg

I can recommend Ireland's Rustic Lodges in Gold Beach, Oregon.

http://www.irelandsrusticlodges.com/Photos_irl.htm

We try to spend a few days there every December before we leave for the winter.

It is reasonably priced and good eats abound within walking distance (ask at the front desk for the best at the time you're there).

Clean rooms, many with wood-burning fireplaces and kitchens. Walk down a private path to the beach.

Oh, and as another poster said, don't miss Crater Lake!

Enjoy your vacation! :)

Barbados and Gratefulguy - Thank you so much for the great tips. I will check everything you mentioned.

Angelcreek - Thank you for responding and yes, I should have given more info. We will be going mid September. We are nature lovers and want to stay at places, esp. inns or bed and breakfast on the ocean or on a river. Our desire is to see lots of the ocean, the redwoods, eat at quaint places that the locals love. Anything such as fishing, or trips down a river, etc. will be great. There is sooo much on the internet, that I have gotten overloaded trying to decide, so I knew CC folks who are from this area will shoot straight with me. Thanks so much. gg in Texas

"Anything such as fishing, or trips down a river, etc. will be great."

That reminds me of one more thing......

At Gold Beach they offer Mail Boat rides up the Rogue River to Agness.

Believe they offer a two hour and a four hour ride. The longer ride provides a nice lunch right on the river.

Let me see if I can find a link for you...

Here's one: http://www.roguerivertrips.info/activities/Rogue_River_Tour_Boat_Rides.asp

THIS A GREAT TRIP! The beauty of the lower Rogue is unmatched.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it for you. :)

Sorry to bother you again, but I had another thought this afternoon....

You know, when the kids were little and we had more free time (difficult to explain), we would rent an RV and tour the Oregon, Washington and N. Calif. coast.

Gosh, what a ball! It's cheap and fun and you get to see some good stuff.

Well, probably won't work for you, but after a few Mt. Gay Rums, I remembered the name of an RV campground 11 miles North of Gold Beach: The Honey Bear Campground.

Gary Saks and his wife run it and they are re-rooted Bavarians. Gosh, can they cook! You'd think you were in Rosenheim!

One doesn't have to RV-it there, you can come in the afternoon, buy a meal ticket for that evening and just come back at dinner time.

Every night is a surprise. Never the same.

At the end of this wonderful German dinner, Gary puts the flavor-of-the-day-home-made ice cream on the stage (5+ gallons), and everyone comes up on the stage and scoops what they want.

After dinner, it's German song and dance..AND ALL PARTICIPATE! :)

So, if you're in the area, please keep this place in mind.

It's a keeper! :D

Oh, yes, here is a link...They're a few down from the top...

http://www.roguerivertrips.info/services/RV_Parks.asp

Best!

-b-

Mid Oregon coast, a town called Yachats (pronounces Ya hots), has a number of cottages, hotels, B&Bs, etc. We go down most every year and stay at the Yachats Inn. Right on the beach; their newer units have kitchens and 2 rooms. The Yachats river is nearby and lots of exploring to be done. Also, close to Heceta Head Lighthouse...one of the nicest on the west coast if you are in to lighthouses.

Sheri

One of my favorite places to view the ocean, especially when it is stormy, is Depoe Bay. It is a few miles north of Newport and Hwy 101 goes right through the small town. Views on the bridge and boardwalk right along the highway are great when it is stormy because there is a spouting horn that does a "geyser like" spouting of water and sometimes the waves crashing below send sprays of water over the highway. Across the street it a great "hole in the wall" kind of place to eat called Gracies Sea Hag. The food is wonderful and they have some great pics and memorabilia on the walls.

Plenty of lighthouses along the way south, and as ladysheri said, Heceta Head is one of the best. One of the best views of it is by Sea Lion Caves.

We love to go crabbing for Dungeness crab and two of the best places to do that are from the big public dock in Newport and also an old coast guard dock by Winchester Bay (a couple of miles past Reedsport). Gear can be rented many places in either town. Umpqua Lighthouse State Park is beautiful and has a small lake that has a hiking trail all the way around and also a trail to the dunes. Beautiful and fun to play on!! Honeyman State Park (south of Florence) also has some great dunes and has paddle boats etc. rentals for the lake there. I also hear that you can now rent boards and go "sandboarding" on the dunes. (kinda like snowboarding, I guess) I haven't done it yet, but many friends have said it was alot of fun.

We have always loved Bandon.....quaint little town and great tidepooling.

As Barbados posted, the mail boats and jet boats out of Gold Beach are really popular.....many of my friends and family have gone and raved about it.

Just the drive itself along the Oregon Coast is breathtaking! Many viewpoints to stop at as you travel. Amazing!

Hope this helps a little. Any more questions....feel free to ask.

AJ

We go to Newport every summer. South Beach state park is a great park. They have Yurts that you can stay in. It is just South of the Newport bridge. Just before the park is a small seafood deli "Lighthouse Deli" it is very small but the best fish and chips around. A previous poster mentioned Jessie Honeyman state park, near Florence we have camped at this park as well and thought it was very nice. http://www.oregonstateparks.org and http://www.oregoncoast.org are two good sites.

I know your southern limit was Crescent City…But would you consider going a few miles further south to a little town named Ferndale?

Northern California map

cal-map.jpg

Lots of wonderful bed-and-breakfasts in this area

ferndale.jpg

Humbolt County is a very special part on northern California.

It is perhaps what Monterey is to the central coast of California.

Crescent City is a great place, but the true wonders of the Redwood Empire are just a few miles further South…….

:)

Yes - this is what I am looking for. Actual folks going to the places that are so breathtaking and recommending these places. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am checking into every web site and idea each of you have suggested. Barbados - please give us a bit more infor about Ferndale and "the true wonders of the Redwood Empire". I was thinking that was Crescent City. I am so glad I started this thread. gg

If you want information on the Redwood Coast go to http://www.redwoodvisitor.org- the Humboldt County Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Oregon Coast is beautiful but Humboldt has some very special places to see. The State and National Redwood Parks are just south of Crescent City. Trinidad is a lovely fishing town (http://www.trinidadcalif.com) with a much photographed lighthouse. Eureka has gorgeous Victorian homes, including the Carson Mansion as in the photo in the previous post, also shops in Old Town. Ferndale has Victorians and cute shops. It is never crowded and there are lots of great restaurants. Don't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

So where do you come from to start at Newport? I assume Portland? central coast is the best in my opinion. If camping I got to put in a plug for Beachside State park. I have been camping there since I was a little boy and have been taking my kids there for the past 19 years. Its small the the beach is wide open and easy to get on. The crabbing and fishing are both good on the Alsea River in Waldport just north of Beachside. If you are hoteling there is a place just north of Newport at agate beach called the starfish, very small maybe 10 units above the beach.

Heading south Florance has a improving down town/old town area. This is where Honeyman state park is located as another poster mentioned. Big dunes, lots of fun with dune buggies, horse back riding, fishing etc.

Where were you going to cross over to crater lake? Where you going to do the redwoods first then travel northeast to grants pass? Very nice drive through illinois valley. Be sure to check out the oregon caves at cavae junction.

As a southern Oregon person (transplanted from portland 2.5 yrs ago) I got to plug Ashland. Beatiful town nestled located Just north of california border on I-5. Great theator town lots of outdoor activities, outstanding white water rafting on several rivers.

Enjoy your trip, you will enjoy it very much.

So where do you come from to start at Newport? I assume Portland? central coast is the best in my opinion. If camping I got to put in a plug for Beachside State park. I have been camping there since I was a little boy and have been taking my kids there for the past 19 years. Its small the the beach is wide open and easy to get on. The crabbing and fishing are both good on the Alsea River in Waldport just north of Beachside. If you are hoteling there is a place just north of Newport at agate beach called the starfish, very small maybe 10 units above the beach.

Heading south Florance has a improving down town/old town area. This is where Honeyman state park is located as another poster mentioned. Big dunes, lots of fun with dune buggies, horse back riding, fishing etc.

Where were you going to cross over to crater lake? Where you going to do the redwoods first then travel northeast to grants pass? Very nice drive through illinois valley. Be sure to check out the oregon caves at cavae junction.

As a southern Oregon person (transplanted from portland 2.5 yrs ago) I got to plug Ashland. Beautiful town located Just north of california border on I-5. Great theator town lots of outdoor activities, outstanding white water rafting on several rivers.

Enjoy your trip.

As a southern Oregon person (transplanted from portland 2.5 yrs ago) I got to plug Ashland. Beautiful town located Just north of california border on I-5. Great theator town lots of outdoor activities, outstanding white water rafting on several rivers.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all the info. We will fly into Portland, then on down to Newport, eventually working down to the Southern coast. We will probably base our S. Oregon stay in Gold Beach so we can enjoy the Rogue River, Oregon/Calif. Redwoods, and Crater Lake. So we will go from Gold Beach to Crater Lake. How long would that take ??? Also do you know of a great place to stay either on the river or right on the ocean ?? Our trip is all about nature and wildlife, so appreciate all the info I am getting. gg

GG

Not too familier with hotels on southern oregon coast. Do know there are lots of them though. Another option would be to google oregon state parks system and check out some of the camp grounds. Some of them have yurts and cabins for rent.

I have not driven from gold beach to crater lake, but looking at the map I would guess at least 4 hours one way. crater lake is worth it, it is incredible and National park service maintains a lodge there that has rooms. Never stayed but know people who have and they loved it.

How will you depart for home? Back to Portland to fly home? If yes, think about taking highway 97 from crator lake up to Bend then over mount hood or up through The Gorge, both incredible trips, very scenic and good roads. If you end up in the gorge there are lots of Lewis/Clark trail sights also.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my favorite places to view the ocean, especially when it is stormy, is Depoe Bay. It is a few miles north of Newport and Hwy 101 goes right through the small town. Views on the bridge and boardwalk right along the highway are great when it is stormy because there is a spouting horn that does a "geyser like" spouting of water and sometimes the waves crashing below send sprays of water over the highway. Across the street it a great "hole in the wall" kind of place to eat called Gracies Sea Hag. The food is wonderful and they have some great pics and memorabilia on the walls.

Plenty of lighthouses along the way south, and as ladysheri said, Heceta Head is one of the best. One of the best views of it is by Sea Lion Caves.

We love to go crabbing for Dungeness crab and two of the best places to do that are from the big public dock in Newport and also an old coast guard dock by Winchester Bay (a couple of miles past Reedsport). Gear can be rented many places in either town. Umpqua Lighthouse State Park is beautiful and has a small lake that has a hiking trail all the way around and also a trail to the dunes. Beautiful and fun to play on!! Honeyman State Park (south of Florence) also has some great dunes and has paddle boats etc. rentals for the lake there. I also hear that you can now rent boards and go "sandboarding" on the dunes. (kinda like snowboarding, I guess) I haven't done it yet, but many friends have said it was alot of fun.

We have always loved Bandon.....quaint little town and great tidepooling.

As Barbados posted, the mail boats and jet boats out of Gold Beach are really popular.....many of my friends and family have gone and raved about it.

Just the drive itself along the Oregon Coast is breathtaking! Many viewpoints to stop at as you travel. Amazing!

Hope this helps a little. Any more questions....feel free to ask.

AJ

I live in Memphis,Tn but my best friend lives in Portland,Or. Since 1990 I go to Portland and we head to the coast. In fact, I know more ways of getting to the coast that she does :D !!

I fell in love with Depoe Bay in 1990 and go every year. I suggest the Surfrider Inn. It's about 4 miles from Depoe Bay. It's a small hotel with deck (shared) for each room. I love the fact that the beach access is only a staircase away. It's a public beach, but due to the distance of the parking lot and walk, the majority of the people on the beach are the hotel guest.

I've stayed here at different points of the year. I still can recall the wild winter storms, sitting on a large rock watching the seals sunning near by. Shell hunting at the end of the beach during low tide, sitting on the deck on a warm summer day dozing to the waves.

I also enjoy spending the day driving along the coast stopping at various spots. Avoid the Sea Lion Caves (major tourist trap), but in Florence go horseback riding on the beach, you also have the sand dunes in the Florence area and taking a dune buggy out is fun (was when I was younger!!).

As for great eats, Tideraves and Gracie's Sea Hag in Depoe are great. The Lighthouse Deli in Newport (make sure you make that quick turn coming off the bridge on the right) is great for fresh seafood.

I also make it a point of going to Tillamook for ice cream and milk :D :D !!

I love the Depoe area and Oregon Coast so much, that's where I want to retire!!

The Oregon Coast holds a spot in my heart. You need any info, e-mail me!!

Thanks for all the great tips. I have written down and/or researched each one. I have 2 questions remaining. First - have any of you ridden the jet boats on the Rogue River ?? Seems like 2 lines are pretty equal - Jerry's and Mail Boats. Any one have a preference ??? Also, we will need to head up the coast from Brookings on a Tuesday to stay overnight before flying out of Portland on Wednesday at 1 Pm. Any ideas on what is close enough to PDX, but a great location to stay overnight ?? How long is the drive from Brookings to Portland ??? gg

...we always ride the jet boats up the Rogue whenever we are passing through Gold Beach, from our experience, we now always take the US Mail Boats. If you have the time and can afford the extra fee, take the white water trip that goes further up the river and actually gets into rapids - FUN!

cheers,

the Imagineers

upcoming NCL cruise on the Wind - Aug 27/06

upcoming Oceania cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07

• 3 weeks later...

gg, we travel to the Oregon Coast 2 or 3 times a year! We love it there and always stay in South Lincoln City at the Ocean Terrace Condominiums.

Every condo is privately owned and decorated differently. Very clean, indoor pool, saunas, pool table, ping pong, ect..

Wes and Danielle at OT are very nice and happy to share any area information with you. If you google Ocean Terrace they have a website.

Each condo has a full kitchen and separate beroom. Large OV decks and some have DW and 2 TV's w/VCR's. We like the top floor for an awesome view.

We like Gleneden Beach and South LC better than Newport for OV and beach access.

Best restarants in our opinion in LC Java Depot for coffee, Black Fish Cafe for lunch and dinner, YUMMY!!

Tidal Raves and Oceanus in Depoe Bay. Side Door in Gleneden Beach.

The view from all of the OV rooms is breath taking. Possibilities of seeing whales certain times of the year. OT is up high so you can see for miles.

Don't miss the glass float blowing in LC and Newport. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is awesome in Newport, if you have never been there.

Have a great trip!

Teri :D

Archived