PG Motu excursions/beach days

cul8tr

Hi ....

We are sailing on the PG 7/12. I've been reading the posts about days at the Motu and just went to the excursion site on RSSC. There is no mention of any beach days or just a day at the beach to snorkle. Do you have to take a snorkeling trip on each island or does the ship transport you to a beach if you chose not to do an excursion at each island.

Thanks for the help!!

cul8tr

Well, if your cruise includes spending a day at Motu Mahana, you won't see it listed under the excursions, since it's included.

I see you're on the 10 day itinerary, so I can't comment on Huahine or Rangiroa. But I see that you have two days at Bora Bora. Normally, there will be tenders to a private beach there on both afternoons, for swimming, snorkelling, kayaking. Taha'a Motu Mahana is Wednesday, an entire day of lolling about, eating, drinking, snorkelling, etc. Nothing like that is offered on Raiatea or Moorea, as far as I know, although there may be shuttle to one of the hotels on Moorea, where you can snorkel, or you can take a cab.

Thank you for the information. Do you have to book excursions ahead or is there usually adequate space one on board? There is great info. on this site about what excursions people seem to like.

As far as booking ahead, it depends on the excursions. For example, the photo safari in Moorea, which we took in February when we did the 10-day itinerary, only takes about 6-8 people. Some of the sailing trips take only a small number of people. We did a sail in Raitea in the afternoon on the Agaleion and also a sunset sail in Bora Bora--both had less than 10 people. The Dolphin expedition in Moorea usually fills up also. By the way, some of our best snorkeling was during an excursion in Huahine. We also did the drift snorkeling in Rangiroa, which had its good points and bad.

We always book ahead because you can always cancel as long as you do it 24 hours before the excursion. I wrote an extensive review of our cruise and posted pictures on another board. If you'd like more information, contact me at dreps@comcast.net.

-----------

Eugene

I agree with Dreps. Book ahead if you think you want to try something, and then when you're onboard, you can exchange some for others. Think about whether you want to do lots of water-related things, or some land things. A mix is good. Try to get on land at least once or twice, to get a feel for the islands and culture. If you want opinions on specific excursions, just ask, and I'm sure you will get deluged with advice.

Do you have to take a snorkeling trip on each island or does the ship transport you to a beach if you chose not to do an excursion at each island.

Thanks for the help!!

I'd LOVE to get an answer to this, too! (I think it's being asked where you can take the tenders to snorkle or swim for free BESIDES the Bora Bora and all-day motus). Or do the tenders just drop you off at the port and you're kind of stranded there? I'd rather stuff my snorkling gear in a beach bag and find a nice spot rather than pay 80 bucks for someone to take me there...however, if it's complicated and frustrating, then no thanks. Someone mentioned shuttles to beaches used by hotels? any info appreciated!

Flydreamer--Other than what you mentioned, the tenders really only take you to the port dock and then you either take an excursion or you are on your own. Sometimes you can walk somewhere to snorkel. We did that in Rangiroa (as did the captain), and it was okay. We got a little lost going back, but no big deal. (Actually, the crew usually knows what places to go to that are free.) We really ended up at the beach of some hotel, but it started raining and we weren't using any chairs, so it wasn't a problem. I know that in Moorea some took a cab or car to the Sheraton and for a small fee used their beach. I don't think there are many other options. While the beaches and water are great at the motus, and the snorkeling is okay, I think the snorkeling is usually better on some of the excursions.

---------------

Eugene

I just e-mailed the Sheraton in Moorea to ask about using their facilities for the day. We have an excursion booked for one day in Moorea and would like to just lay on a beach the other day.

I will post any answer I get here.

Thanks all for the info. Would any of you recommend renting a jeep on our own (there are 4 of us) and see a bit of an island and then go to a recommended beach area to snorkle? We all enjoy snorkeling off the beach if good. We have had some negative experiences with "trips" being dropped in rough waters and try to make a go of it. Are the PG crew the ones that take you on these or private companies?

Thanks again for all the info.

:confused: Carol

Carol - when you sign up for a snorkeling excursion from the PG you will not have PG crew doing the excursion. We have found that all of the operators that the PG worked with on their 7-day itinerary made us feel extremely comfortable and safe. Last year we were on their first 10-day itinerary in June and had some experiences that we were less satisfied with. Hopefully they have now found some operators on Huahine and Rangiroa that are at a level equal to those on Moorea, Bora Bora etc. Obviously, we did make it back to the ship safe and sound but we voiced our opinions and received one partial and one full refund for excursions that were not the same as promoted.

Even though we are experienced snorkelers we took advantage of going on Dominique's free guided snorkel tour on Motu Mahana. He will point out to you things you would never find on your own. He is such a great guy and deserves all the praise he regularly receives from all the scuba divers he assists on the PG.

I heard back from the Sheraton in Moorea and they said you are welcome to come use their beach. The pool is only for use of the guests. This sounds like a good option if you just want to relax and have a laid back day.

Thank you for letting us know, Travellgirl! Great news.

I just picked up a Lonely Planet guidebook for Tahiti in hopes of finding out some more beach possibilities. I'll let everyone know if I happen on something good. I do love the conveniences and safety of ship excursions but hate paying a lot for something/somewhere I could have easily gotten to myself.

Can't remember which itinerary you're on. If it includes Rangi and Huahine, can't comment much. But on Moorea, Bora Bora I don't remember any excursion that I could have done myself (altho we rented a car on Moorea once, did not make it to the Sheraton, but I'm sure that's a good option.) You might investigate Raiatea in that regard. On Bora Bora I'm sure you can take a cab, or rent a small vehicle and head for the Matira beach.

And in Rangiroa, I'm betting you might be able to find a beach, but remember there probably won't be snorkelling; maybe there are places you can wade into the lagoon.

You might be interested to know that all beaches in French Polynesia are public. So I had to smile at the Sheraton graciously allowing you to use the one in front of their resort!

On Moorea, we went down to the beach in front of Hotel Les Tipaniers and found some great snorkeling. We were surprised to see fellow passengers from our ship just a short distance away on their snorkeling excursion!

Well, it depends on what you mean by "beach". If you mean a broad sand beach with surf, it implies that there is no lagoon out there. Rangiroa is an atoll, i.e., the remains of a "high island", with nothing but the reef left, so to speak. I don't know the exact shape of Rangi, but if you are on the lagoon, there might be a narrow beach with plenty of coral, where you could wade in (with proper reef shoes), and snorkel. So, in Polynesia, you either have a "real" beach with surf, or you have a lagoon where you might be able to snorkel.

That's not to say there won't be strips of sand along the lagoon side. (And I haven't been there, only to Manihi, where the wide sand beach at least on the windward side of the island was the domain of surfers only, and not somewhere where you could lie and sunbathe.

Archived