Need Help, Very Tough Decision between Mariner or Freedom this Summer...

We are considering changing our cruise from the Mariner on 7-30-06 to Freedom 6-11-06.

I know the obvious, Freedom is newer and bigger but I worry that it won't be as fun due to overcrowding. We are going with our 2 kids, ages 4 and 9 and we planned on using the kid's programs, and I'm thinking it might be a complete zoo!

On the other hand, Freedom looks so great, it's hard to pass up. It would be 2k more so I don't want to make a wrong decision.

Does anyone have any opinions or hypothesis of which cruise would be better for our little family of 4?

Thanks!:)

I know the Freedom is THE hot new ship this year, and rightly so.

That said, she will STILL be there next year, or the year after, and probably at MUCH better pricing, especially if you book in advance.

Personally, I would KEEP your Mariner plans, I love that ship and I like the itinerary better.

Definitely put the Freedom (or Liberty) in your future cruise plans...but plan AHEAD so you don't have to spend $2,000 more for the same time frame.

Just my two cents. :)

I agree.... start out with the Mariner. We were aboard in January and had a wonderful time. I think it will be crowded with children any time in the summer.... but the kids will still have a great time in the kids club.

You can then book your Freedom or Liberty cruise while on board the Mariner and get your cabin credit!!!!

I have sailed twice on the mariner in the last 6 months. She is beautiful and you won't be disappointed. All of the pictures I have seen of the Freedom remind me of a slightly larger voyager class ship.

DSCF0177.jpg

I have sailed twice on the mariner in the last 6 months. She is beautiful and you won't be disappointed. All of the pictures I have seen of the Freedom remind me of a slightly larger voyager class ship.

That is because it IS a slightly larger Voyager class ship. That is why it was originally referred to as "Ultra Voyager" It is merely a stretched version of Voyager. It is the limousine of the Voyager Class ships, if you will.

We are considering changing our cruise from the Mariner on 7-30-06 to Freedom 6-11-06.

I know the obvious, Freedom is newer and bigger but I worry that it won't be as fun due to overcrowding. We are going with our 2 kids, ages 4 and 9 and we planned on using the kid's programs, and I'm thinking it might be a complete zoo!

On the other hand, Freedom looks so great, it's hard to pass up. It would be 2k more so I don't want to make a wrong decision.

Does anyone have any opinions or hypothesis of which cruise would be better for our little family of 4?

Thanks!:)

I know it seems like it is going to be very crowded, but the space ratio is better than that of the Voyager Class. Freedom only holds and additional 500 passengers, yet is quite a bit larger. If you feel like the Mariner is not too crowded, then you will feel even better on Freedom.

I've had to make a similar decision for the week before Christmas. For us it was Explorer or Freedom. I could get an inside cabin on Freedom for approximately the same price as a balcony on Explorer. I liked the Explorer itinerary slightly more. So, we decided on Explorer as I love a balcony to soak up sun and enjoy some quiet reading time.

We definitely want to take the Freedom or Liberty but have decided we'll do so when the price is somewhat lower.

We sailed the Voyager, loved that ship, so am sure we'll have every bit as fun on the Explorer.

I've had to make a similar decision for the week before Christmas. For us it was Explorer or Freedom. I could get an inside cabin on Freedom for approximately the same price as a balcony on Explorer. I liked the Explorer itinerary slightly more. So, we decided on Explorer as I love a balcony to soak up sun and enjoy some quiet reading time.

We definitely want to take the Freedom or Liberty but have decided we'll do so when the price is somewhat lower.

We sailed the Voyager, loved that ship, so am sure we'll have every bit as fun on the Explorer.

It's all about the balcony for me too. I am going on Freedom, but was lucky enough to book early when the prices were lower. Got a corner aft for $969 pp. But if it were between a cruise with or without the balcony, I would choose a balcony without a doubt.

Stick with the Mariner. Many of the new amenities on the Freedom, wave pool, taller rock climbing wall, etc., are for older kids and teens. Your children wouldn't use them anyway.

I'd never pay $2000 more to go on Freedom over Mariner. By the way, we were on Mariner last August and had a wonderful time -- one of our favorite Voyager class ships. Among the reasons why -- because Captain Johnny was so visible -- all around the ship, greeting people constantly, participating in the shows, telling jokes middday, etc. made the ship feel so welcoming and warm. And, the cruise director (unfortunately, can't recall his name) was one of the two best we've ever had on a cruise. We're Diamond and have cruised many RCCL ships.

The Mariner is a wonderful ship and you're sure to have a terrific time! (We're planning Freedom in the future -- after the price goes down.)

I know it seems like it is going to be very crowded, but the space ratio is better than that of the Voyager Class. Freedom only holds and additional 500 passengers, yet is quite a bit larger. If you feel like the Mariner is not too crowded, then you will feel even better on Freedom.

I think you better get your calculator new batteries. From the RCI web site, the Freedom OTS is 160,000 GRT and carries 3634 people at double occupancy. That is a space ratio of 44.03. The Mariner OTS is 138,000 GRT and carriers 3114 people at double occupancy. That is a space ratio of 44.32. So the space ratio is BETTER on the Mariner than on the Freedom.

Isn't Freedom's first revenue cruise 6-4-06, so 6-11-06 would only the second rev. sailing? Despite best efforts/intentions by RCCL, there are bound to be various problems that will "shake out" over a few cruises. I would not pay $2000 extra to change from Mariner (which is fantastic) to a ship that MAY (hopefully not, of course) have "problems" that you might feel effect the quality of your vacation and make the extra expense feel like a problem.

Forgot to add: book NOW on Freedom for next year, and get a good price.

For our honeymoon i really wanted the Freedom since it was the newest and hottest! But I booked the Mariner, June 3 2007, because we had already sailed the eastern caribbean, and the freedom i saw for that date, does not even go to the bahamas. So i chose the Mariner! and i am very happy about it! I have heard great things about it!

I vote Mariner! We took our 2 kids aged 6 and 9 and they loved it. Since this will hook you on cruising, then do the Freedom next time!

Oh... I see you already have the Liberty in your future! Well then I would definitely stick with the Mariner for now!

Personally, I would stay with Mariner for your upcoming summer cruise (or I can take it off your hands if you'd like:D )! Consider booking Freedom now for next year. I did, and got $99 off each stateroom for early booking, and I have plenty of time to pay off the balance before our cruise next August (and got a really great deal too, so don't wait if you're even CONSIDERING this option!).

Now I have a whole year to plan:p !!!

I think you better get your calculator new batteries. From the RCI web site, the Freedom OTS is 160,000 GRT and carries 3634 people at double occupancy. That is a space ratio of 44.03. The Mariner OTS is 138,000 GRT and carriers 3114 people at double occupancy. That is a space ratio of 44.32. So the space ratio is BETTER on the Mariner than on the Freedom.

I stand corrected, but I was always told that Freedom space ratio was better. Voyager is better, but barely even noticable.

Archived