Flightseeing or Helicopter

candlelady

I know there are several ports that offer "air" tours. In your opinion, which is best....in Juneau, Skagway, or Icy Strait Point. Or are you "viewing" the same thing? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I've never been to Alaska and want to get the most for my money. We're doing a Northbound cruise with a 5 day Post cruise trip through Denali.

This board is sure a great source of information....thank you to all the faithful posters. You're making my planning so much easier. I realize that no matter what we do, we'll have a ball....but still want the "best" opportunities!:D

I know there are several ports that offer "air" tours. In your opinion, which is best....in Juneau, Skagway, or Icy Strait Point. Or are you "viewing" the same thing? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I've never been to Alaska and want to get the most for my money. We're doing a Northbound cruise with a 5 day Post cruise trip through Denali.

Since you're going to Denali, a Denali flight is the best of all - but "if" you get the weather, which is problematic. Of the flightseeing at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, though, trying to decide which is better is splitting hairs, IMHO. A glacier or wilderness lake landing is available at all 3 ports, and that option is on the top of the list for most of us.

Murray

Is there a company you would recommend

How can we tell which company RCCL uses for their excursions? They're offering two...one with landing and one without for $190 & $255. But one says that it flys "within 6 miles of Mt. McKinley" and the landing says they will land "on the gentle slope of the Ruth Glacier". Do you think they're worth it?

How can we tell which company RCCL uses for their excursions? They're offering two...one with landing and one without for $190 & $255. But one says that it flys "within 6 miles of Mt. McKinley" and the landing says they will land "on the gentle slope of the Ruth Glacier". Do you think they're worth it?

You can book independently of Royal Caribbean: http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/alaska_flightseeing_tours.htm

http://www.talkeetnaair.com/flightseeing.html

K2 has done some ship contracts in the past. You need to decide WHAT type of flightseeing you wish, there is a big difference between a summit view and a summit flight. And you can not do a landing with a summit flight. Can also depend on your flying experience, going in a ski plane can be a thrill, but the landing is mostly on snow with ice possibily being a long walk away- if you want to see it.

My clear favorite flightseeing of McKinley is a summit flight- over the top.

Archived