Vancouver Area

Hi There,

We are staying 1 day post cruise, and would like to "get out of the hustle and bustle" of the city (We're "farm-folk). Is there a fishing village within an hour of the city that has a clean motel, and perhaps a bit of beach to walk down, as well as the ability to walk around on the piers to check on the fishermen and their "catch of the day"?

BTW - We're staying 1 day pre-cruise IN the City! (We're not anti-social!) :-)

from the city. White Rock is nice and so is Blaine and The Semiahmoo Resort is on a spit-in the States.

Harrison Hot Springs Hotel is a wonderful place in the Summer. You will need a car for all of these places.

Perhaps not exactly as you describe but you could stay in a motel in North Vancouver at the foot of Capilano Road (just over the Lions Gate Bridge from downtown). From here you could walk to Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver where there is a 2 mile walk along the ocean or drive up Capilano Road to the fish hatchery, Capilano Swinging Bridge or Grouse Mountain (all 10 minutes away). A lovely walk in West Vancouver is lighthouse park with a lot of "old growth" trees. For a fishing village try Steveston in Richmond, about 1/2 hour from the airport, has a great fishing museum and boats with their catch of shrimp or salmon depending on the season. Unfortunately no motel or beach there as it is on the Fraser River. New train goes to Whistler for the day from North Vancouver but it is expensive. Have a great trip.

You could stay in Richmond, which is near vancouver International, and rent a car and go to Steveston - a small fishing community at the mouth of the Fraser, however after one day there, there's not much more to do. I would stay in North Vancouver, check out Lonsdale Quay, and Ambleside in West Van as well as Horseshoe Bay, and rent a car and go to Whistler.

Thanks for the suggestions! Just wondering... how is the road to Whistler? I was told to avoid it, because of construction? Perhaps the full-blown construction is not underway yet?

Again, many thanks!

"That Road" seems to have been under construction for the past 20 years :). it's honestly not that bad.

Even if you're not City folk, you could stay at somewhere like the Westin Bayshore which is at the entrance to Stanley Park, you'll feel like you're out of the City. Steveston would be a good place to visit, as would White Rock. I wouldn't bother with Blaine or Semiahmoo - that could be a lot of hassel crossing the borders both ways (they're in the US).

My first choice would be Whistler.

"That Road" seems to have been under construction for the past 20 years :). it's honestly not that bad.

Even if you're not City folk, you could stay at somewhere like the Westin Bayshore which is at the entrance to Stanley Park, you'll feel like you're out of the City. Steveston would be a good place to visit, as would White Rock. I wouldn't bother with Blaine or Semiahmoo - that could be a lot of hassel crossing the borders both ways (they're in the US).

My first choice would be Whistler.

Thanks !

We're staying @ Westin bayshore pre-cruise... we'll check out Whistler!

6 weeks away! Can hardly wait!!

Archived