Coral World

SF

We visited there a couple of years ago as part of tour of the Island and were NOT impressed. They have a few exhibits and the tower where you go down below the ocean and can see the people who paid the extra to use the helmets and go below the water. We didn't see a lot of fish and the place just didn't look like they had spent much on upkeep. This was probably 3 or 4 years ago so they may have done a lot work since we were there. I will be interested to see comments from some people who have been there more recently.

Have a great next cruise.

Wow!

Did we go to the same place wwinfl91? Maybe they've done a major overhaul since your visit. We thought everything was absolutely wonderful! The exhibits were well thought out, well executed, and well maintained. The shows were educational and fun. The whole place was clean and the grounds were well manicured. We were well entertained for about three hours and we didn't do the helmet dive. They had lockers to keep your gear in, a lovely gift shop, and the little nearby beach was alot of fun. We really enjoyed our day there.

Sally

We are interested too. I am leaning toward taking a cab so we could take the long way and see some of the island. I've heard that Coki beach next door to Coral world has some of the best snorkeling. Any other info????

I don't remember what year we went but sometime in the last 3 years. We really enjoyed it. If you're there at the right time you can feed the stingrays or pet a shark. We used the lockers at Coral World and hung out at the beach after looking around Coral World. I would recommend that you take a taxi to Coral World instead of taking a ship excursion. Check out the Coral World website at http://www.coralworldvi.com We were there before they offered the helmet diving so we haven't tried it at Coral World. We did do the helmet diving in Cozumel at Chankanaab. We didn't see much. It was still fun. I'm glad we did it but I wouldn't do it again, at least not at Chankanaab.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, Steffi. Didn't see your question until today.

We did Coral World and Coki beach on our own. It was easy. We caught a cab at the pier and caught another cab back into town for some shopping when we were ready to leave. My comments about Coral World are above. I think you'd be much better off on your own at Coral World as you'd be able to enjoy it more and take your time if there wasn't a crowd.

The beach is just a few steps away. It has excellent snorkeling, several "beach shack" type restaurants, chairs and umbrellas for rent, and bar tenders coming right to your chair to take drink orders. It's not crowded and touristy and was a very nice little beach

Thanks for your advice. We are planning to go to Coral World and do it on our own. I don't want to be rushed around in a big group.

Glad to know that it is easy to get there and back.

Thanks again for the help!

Steffie

For those of you doing Coral World on your own, make sure you check out their website: http://www.coralworldvi.com

They have a coupon for $3 off adult admission and $1 off a child's admission. I think their rates are normally $18 for adults. I'm not sure of kids rates as we are leaving our son home this time.

We haven't been there yet, but are planning on doing this after Thanksgiving when we are there. If any of you are going before then, please post when you return!

Archived