Please Tell Us About HAL's Coffee

Gardyloo2

This is our first HAL cruise, and I'm just wondering about the standard shipboard coffee. Our last cruise was on Princess, and the poor quality of their coffee stirred (forgive the pun) endless complaints from past Princess cruisers.

Apparently it's so bad that many bring their own electric coffee pots and make it in their cabins rather than going on deck or calling room service. Based on their recommendations. we bought a small electric pot in Seattle, then left it behind on the ship. It was good advice.

So tell me, how is HAL's?

HAL's is, in my opinion, very good. Even the standard stuff that comes from the lido deck is nice. If you are in a suite, visit the neptune lounge: they can make you up an espresso or a cappucino there (and they're good!).

We thought it was fine. A little strong for our taste which is easily remedied. Not the best, but definitely not bad! Personally, I find that tons of milk and sugar can make almost anything drinkable ;) But, seriously, I wouldn't worry about it - and the specialty coffees are very, very good!

Scrumpy

Just got off westerdam and could not get a decent cup of coffee anywhere, although i will say the best i found was in the dining room. Ordered room service coffee and it was almost clear, weak, and brown-water awful!! The pay-for coffee in Windstar was ok... not really that much better than Lido deck coffee. Just my experiences, but i think i may well bring my own little coffee maker or a french press, because in 6 cruises, i've never had REALLY good coffee.

Just got off westerdam and could not get a decent cup of coffee anywhere, although i will say the best i found was in the dining room. Ordered room service coffee and it was almost clear, weak, and brown-water awful!! The pay-for coffee in Windstar was ok... not really that much better than Lido deck coffee. Just my experiences, but i think i may well bring my own little coffee maker or a french press, because in 6 cruises, i've never had REALLY good coffee.

Sounds like my experience just off the Sea Princess. The coffee in the Horizon court buffet one time came out water then syrup then water etc. It was awful. I tried three cups. poured them all out then went to the other side. It wasn't much better. All I can say about it was that it was tolerable. The specialty coffee @ $2.00 was acceptable, not good but acceptable. We will be on the Ryndam next April 12 for ten days and unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will be taking along my mellita filters, special ground coffee blend and plastic holder for the filter that fits on a cup. This weighs a lot less than the coffee pot or french press, is not breakable, and all I need is hot water to make a cup of coffee that will rival anything I get at Starbucks. I realize we are all different but to classify syrup coffee as the real stuff is a stretch.

along my mellita filters, special ground coffee blend and plastic holder for the filter that fits on a cup. This weighs a lot less than the coffee pot or french press, is not breakable,

Where did you find this niftly little gadget? Kitchen store, Williams Sonoma?? sounds like a must have for my next cruise... as having a GOOD cup of coffee on my first-ever balcony was something I missed out on !!!

Thanks!!

Being from the Seattle area coffee is taken seriously. I would give Holland America very good marks on their coffee. Remember they have to serve several thousand cups of coffee per day. Its full bodied and is strong enough for most coffee drinkers. I have no complaints.

HAL coffee tends to be on the strong side but that's a Dutch trait. The Capuccino's and Espresso's in the old Java Cafe and in the Neptune are pretty good, IMO. The new Explorations Cafe is a great addition as far as coffee and, although no longer free like the Java used to be, still cheaper than getting a cup at Starbucks on land :)

As a "North of the Border" cruiser and having been raised on our own national brand of "Morning Nectar" aka Tim Horton's coffee, this board is starting to scare me. Our last cruise on Celebrity provided tolerable coffee, but it sounds as if HAL's may be below par. HHMMM, may have to get "Timmy's" to make us up a care pkg for our next voyage....:D

Just got off the Ryndam and had 10-12 cups of black coffee every day , good strength and full of flavor, no matter if at the Lido, the Dining Room or from Room Service. Mind you when I see a half cup of milk and 2 or 3 sugar go into some cups, does the coffee really matter? One does not need to worry about the coffee, enjoy your cruise.

I liked HAL's coffee. Being brought up on Columbian coffee, Kona coffee is different but good as well. I like it strong. Decalf is ready and available. I know lots of people that should switch to decalf.

When the tipping policy was first changed, it only mentioned 15% on bar drinks. The 'and beverage' was slipped in quietly thereafter. A few of the bar servers and cafe java slingers were outright surly. But the chefs, waiters and stewards were wonderful.

If you have a favorite beverage like Diet Dr. Pepper, bring plenty.

On all my voyages with HAL, I never had a bad cup of coffee.

Dining room .. lido ... room service .. McD's in London

I think the trick for the Lido is, wait til the "brew" light turns off on the urn.

(That's my experience .... I was ready to push the button when a steward stopped me, and told me to give it another minute til the cycle is done ... result .... a fine, fresh cup of coffee!!! -- yum!! ) :)

So, no matter where you go ... you're bound to find a great cup of joe

Enjoy

While I am not on vacation I drink tea (Lipton) but while on vacation I will try the coffee while on our last cruise on the Oosterdam I tried the standard coffee in the Lido the first day and loved it and I did not have tea at all..Even after dinner I drank the coffee in the main Dinning Room

:rolleyes: Cruise ship coffee is predictably awful..no matter the cruise line. Somewhere between "crankcase sludge and hydraulic brake fluid!"

Now if I could only learn all the nuances of "wine snobbery"..fruity, woody,

dry........wet???

boomerSexyK

I'm among the few lucky people in the States who have Tim's. We live in the Buffalo area, which as you know, is where he finished his career, albeit in an untimely way.

A neat cruise relate story for you. Prior to an X cruise out of Vancouver, I found a Tim's near our hotel so I bought myself a cup. I walked about a half block and a couple saw me and asked me where I got the Tim's coffee. Strong loyalty given all the wall to wall Starbucks on the West Coast.

BTW, there is a Tim Horton's in the Vancouver Airport terminal; it was mobbed the day we were there.

HAL nor any other cruiseline could handle the coffee demand if they served Tim's. Our personal standard at home is Cafe Brit from Costa Rica.

Art

My experiences run pretty much along the lines of yours. Couldn't find a decent cup of coffee anywhere on the Amsterdam this past January ... unless I was willing to buy a specialty coffee drink in the Explorations Cafe.

But then this is not a HAL thing. I've had even worse on Princess. In fact, the absolute worst cup of coffee I ever had on a cruise was in Princess' premium restaurant, Sabatini's.

Hopefully, the cruise lines will take notice of these complaints and make changes ... especially since those changes would not cost a whole lot to implement, and would leave them with lots of happier passengers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Starbucks???

I've lost all respect for you ....

:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Vic,

I"m not sure I wouldn't agree with you. What I really meant was Starbucks TYPE coffe (or to put it another way, designer coffe;) ).

It is really hard for me to believe that a cup of coffee can be that much different from cruise ship to cruise ship and pax to pax. Oh well, to each his own I guess. As for me. I have never had a bad cup of coffee on any cruise that I have been on - even Carnival.

Richard

Lido Coffe: Will do in a pinch.

Room Service coffee: Acceptable

Dining room Coffee: Acceptable to good (if you get espresso)

Explorations Coffee: Good, gotta have my lattes

Pinnacle coffee: Wow! I asked them what kind it is and was told "Some Dutch stuff". It's single-packet brewed and rivals the coffee I had in Brazil. My dinner companion who hates any coffee besides Turkish even liked it.

ArtM...thanx for the support...)) Tim Horton's seems to have struck a strong nerve with coffee drinkers across Canada and since their expansion into parts of the USA, their reputation is definitely growing. I believe their success is in the fact that they base their entire operation on "a good cup of coffee" , rather than the trendy concoctions that appear from time to time. To be sure they have the cap's etc, but it all starts with the tried and true black coffee straight-up. It's a combination of the blend, the water temp and impeccably clean instruments. For our American cruisers who love a good cuppa java, on your next cruise thru British Columbia waters or the New England/Canada cruise....try a Timmy's!!

Jeez!! who'd a thunk so much could be said about coffee!!:cool:

along my mellita filters, special ground coffee blend and plastic holder for the filter that fits on a cup. This weighs a lot less than the coffee pot or french press, is not breakable,

Where did you find this niftly little gadget? Kitchen store, Williams Sonoma?? sounds like a must have for my next cruise... as having a GOOD cup of coffee on my first-ever balcony was something I missed out on !!!

Thanks!!

Melitta was having a promotion - free traveling mug and plastic filter container - just buy two boxes of filters. Oh yes, plus $3+ for shipping and handling. I threw the cheap plastic mug away and have been using the plastic filter container on top of a large glass coffee mug for a quick cup of brew every day since. It is great for travel and, as I said before, for cruises, epecially that first cup in the morning. You will have to experiment. I use about three heaping teaspoons of espresso grind and as the hot water goes through the grounds I lightly stir with a plastic spoon. This will bring up a fine looking brown foam much like a french press. You can also use your own favorite coffee beans. I usually like a dark Italian roast or low acid French. If they had a Tim Horton's (never heard of it) in San Diego I would give that a go. I have never seen the plastic filter container in any of the kitchen stores. Maybe if you write Melitta they may still have some. I think that the Melita filter also filters out some of the bad stuff to leave you with a smooth cup of coffee.

This has been an excellent thread with a lot of positive helpful information (with only one exception). Thanks to all.

SaltwaterTwo

Melitta%20Coffee%20Filter%20Container.pdf

Archived