overnight in LA

RunningDeer

Many people rent cars. I did. It worked great but we also stayed at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach. Small problem with Enterprise being slow and trying to charge me for a dent on the car that I didn't do (but now that that is resolved and long gone, it was just that they were so slow).

If you stay at a San Pedro hotel (I know someone on these boards can recommend a hotel there) - it's not a great neighborhood. Not very scenic. That's why we went down the Pacific Coast Highway to Huntington Beach. They have a fabulous spa and ran specials in January (off-season in socal). Not good if you're watching the wallet.

The taxi from San Pedro back to LAX on the last day was not bad. Other posters said that they used a shuttle service. Probably great for large groups.

My spouse went on a Norwegian Star cruise in Nov. Got the Hilton Long Beach for $78 on Priceline. SHe was VERY pleased to be in Long Beach. SHe got to the hotel at 1PM. Her comment was that there was lots to do in Long Beach-and lots of dining options. The airport shuttle stopped at San Pedro on the way to LB. There is apparently nothing there and it is not particularly safe at night. SHe was very happy that she was in Long Beach.

We stayed at the Marina Hotel in San pedro before sailing on the Diamond Princess --- the price on Priceline was very reasonable, I think it was about $70, and it was just fine for a pre-cruise stay. We got a marnia-front room with a couch, large TV, internet connection, and it was newly renovated. We had flown cross country so we were tired and just wanted to relax and get ready for the cruise, but the hotel offered free hot and cold hors d'oeuvres at cocktail hour and we had a nice dinner in the lobby restuarant. The next morning, the hotel had a free and efficient shuttle over to the ship. It all depends on what you are looking for, but I would recommend the Marina for a basci pre-cruise stay.

Ahhh... it took me a second to realize you were talking about a Holland America cruise. I was going to suggest the Princess Marriott LAX special which is $69/pp/nite, including transfers to the ship. We rented a car at LAX and were able to return the car to Hertz right at the Marriott. Perhaps HAL has similar deals with airport hotels?

If you're looking to stay in San Pedro, you can check out pricing at the Best Western Sunrise in San Pedro or perhaps the Harbor Hotel. I've stayed at the Best Western a couple of times and it's cheap and decent. I got a good price through Priceline. You can get to the hotel via one of the shuttle vans such as Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle. The Best Western has a free van service to the ship. When you check in, you let them know what time you want to take the van and they put you on the list. They also have a free but very basic buffet breakfast (toast, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee). There's a good Mexican restaurant right around the corner and a Grinders next door for very inexpensive but good dining.

We cruised out of San Pedro this year on 3-18-06 on the Sapphire. We are from Arizona and this time chose to drive. We arrived 1 day early and stayed at the Los Angeles Harbour Hotel. We were very happy with the hotel and the location. They included buffet breakfast and transportation to the ship, which we could see from our room. Also, parking for the week and a bottle of California wine, plus pickup when we returned. It's not the fancyist hotel but it was nice, great staff, nice resturants within walking distance, maritime museum, seaside village etc. On other cruises we have taken a plane, we used super shuttle, about $35.00 per couple. Just walked out after picking up luggage and waited while they filled up a van. Good Sailing, anymore questions? Phyllis

Archived