Cruise Director from the past...

Jeff,

Just wanted to chime in and say hello. Family of three from NH that cruised with you back in '03 on the Navigator. Have been on RCCL six times since and not one CD has measured up to Big Daddy. We shared some stories about our favorite Cape Cod haunts and you went out of your way the entire week to make small talk w/ my then 10 yr. old son who remains a diehard Red Sox fan.

After all the cruising you've done you certainly wouldn't remember us but you may remember the cruise. There was an incident during the bellyflop contest that was of particular interest. A certain New Yorker thought it might be cool to take the CD to task by making his flop "very painful", he then proceeded to headbutt the bottom of the pool making for a very bloody face and pool - thus ending the contest. What a *****!!

Great to find you on these boards and hope our paths cross again, preferably on the high seas.

Horseracing has never been the same!! Take care.

Jaybird

Hi Jaybird,

Although I'm horrible with names, I'm sure I would remember your face and your son's, especially if we were talking about the Cape and the Red Sox! I remember that cruise like it was yesterday! I saw a lot of strange things during my 24 years at sea but that was definately in the top 3! What a psycho. It was good for business however, his bar bill was just over $2000. However, not sure what we charged him to put his face back together.

I'm glad you're still cruising with us. I hope you get a chance to do the Freedom class. My wife is there now, just called last night to say the new show, "Once Upon A Time" is the best show she's seen on an RCI ship. Pretty high praise, I look forward to seeing it myself.

I hope I get to see you and your family again on a cruise. I'm doing some fill-in work and may be out again during the summer. In the meantime, stay well and stay in touch. My sister is building a home in Waterville Valley so I would expect to be visiting NH within a year.

Let me know if I can ever be of help to you and your's.

Regards,

It is so great to hear from you-we have been lucky enough to have had you for a CD on the Voyager, Explored and Navigator we miss you. You are the best. We had Richard Spacey on the Adventur last year and he is a close 2nd. you might remember us we get a horse and always name it staggeringbarbill with lots of beer cans on it. Please send your web site to us at wrightime1aol.com would love to see it

Take care and hope to sail with you again.

Jeff & Ellie

You were the CD on my very first cruise (Monarch of the Seas - Southern Caribbean, Feb 1997) and I've been hooked ever since.

We've sailed on 15 additional cruises since then but we've never quite reached the pinnacle of having you as CD, or of having Bowzer & David Brenner as the entertainers.

Thanks for providing wonderful memories for my wife and me.

Is there ANY chance at all that you'll be CD on any of my upcoming cruises?:

Adventure - Aug 2006

Freedom - Dec 2006

Liberty - Aug 2007

Calvin

You were the CD on my very first cruise (Monarch of the Seas - Southern Caribbean, Feb 1997) and I've been hooked ever since.

We've sailed on 15 additional cruises since then but we've never quite reached the pinnacle of having you as CD, or of having Bowzer & David Brenner as the entertainers.

Thanks for providing wonderful memories for my wife and me.

Is there ANY chance at all that you'll be CD on any of my upcoming cruises?:

Adventure - Aug 2006

Freedom - Dec 2006

Liberty - Aug 2007

Calvin

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the very kind words. The Monarch run in 97' was truly special for

me. Away from Miami and the head office in those days was really a treat.

Lot's of golf and fun during those times. The onboard life was spectacular

as you know, as we made up the fun as we went along! I'm glad it got you

hooked on RCI.

I may be doing a fill-in this summer but I don't think it will be on the

Adventure. I know you're going to have a great time....with or without me.

No plans for the Freedom Class either...but you just never know in this biz!

Enjoy your upcoming cruises. If there's ever anything I can do to help, just

ask.

Kind regards,

This is a little bit of a random question, but does experience in event production help with getting a job to pave a career as CD?

I'm a soon-to-be graduating Hospitality student. I'm turning over lots of career ideas in my head. Hah.

This is a little bit of a random question, but does experience in event production help with getting a job to pave a career as CD?

I'm a soon-to-be graduating Hospitality student. I'm turning over lots of career ideas in my head. Hah.

Pharaoh,

Event planning, production and anything in the hospitality industry will always help. It's much, much different today than when I first went CD hunting in 1979. All you needed was a connection and a smile and you were in. The most significant need is microphone time. A large oart of the CD regimen is emceeing. Anything from pool games to introducing Celebrities. If you have a job that enables you to use a microphone in front of large audiences, take advantage of it and develop your own style. You can get a job as Cruise Staff without strong mic skills but it's impossible to get to the next level without it.

You're on the right track. A life at sea is not for everyone but if you don't try...you'll never know.

Good luck.

So how are you doing we loved all of the cruise staff on the Navigator .We no longer have a hostess Leif Otto really misses that. Hope to see you soon on the Navigator we will be doing Europe next year and Leif will do the crossing over, so really looking forward to that. I think they took about 180 crew members to the Freedom from the Navigator.

Gest Regards ,

Tj

Tj - Judy & I also miss the Hostess. I assume it was a cost cutting to abolish that position, but I was really disappointed the first time I looked for her name on a cruise and realized she was no more. It just made things feel classier on board.

So how are you doing we loved all of the cruise staff on the Navigator .We no longer have a hostess Leif Otto really misses that. Hope to see you soon on the Navigator we will be doing Europe next year and Leif will do the crossing over, so really looking forward to that. I think they took about 180 crew members to the Freedom from the Navigator.

Gest Regards ,

Tj

Tj,

What a pleasant surprise. I'm new to the CC boards now that I'm more land based. I see you spend considerable time here giving "enquiring minds" what they want to know. It appears most are very appreciative. Yes, I'm sure all the Captains miss the Hostess position. If I fill-in this summer it will be my first time without a Hostess. Different I'm sure but times are changing. The days of Genie Lee and the great RCI Hostesses are just good memories now.

My Bang Vodka is almost gone so I guess I better get out there a.s.a.p. Hope to see you soon.

Jeff

I just found this thread. Funny thing is I was just editing my video from the 10/23/03 sailing of the Navigator of the seas which I believe was your last cruise.

We really enjoyed watching the newlywed/not so newlywed game on the video (I know - we are not supposed to video the shows:D ) and we commented while watching that it was a shame that you would not be on the ships anymore. I'm not usually terribly interested in who is the cruise director, but you were definately a class act! I do think that you spent your last week on the best ship with the best crew you could have finished with.

Jeff

I just found this thread. Funny thing is I was just editing my video from the 10/23/03 sailing of the Navigator of the seas which I believe was your last cruise.

We really enjoyed watching the newlywed/not so newlywed game on the video (I know - we are not supposed to video the shows:D ) and we commented while watching that it was a shame that you would not be on the ships anymore. I'm not usually terribly interested in who is the cruise director, but you were definately a class act! I do think that you spent your last week on the best ship with the best crew you could have finished with.

Hi Scott,

You're right. It was my last week and I couldn't have had a better Staff or Crew to go out with. The Newlywed Game was too fun as always, and I have a copy too (mum's the word!). I'm especially glad you had such a good time with us. I hope you will cruise with us again in the future. If I can ever be of help, just drop an e-mail.

• 2 months later...
Jeffrey,

You were the CD on our second cruise (Monarch, September 1998) and you definitely added to what was a great cruising experience for my wife and I. After several years of doing land-based vacations, we are cruising again in four weeks (Adventure) with our 5 1/2 year old son.

I've read a ton of cruise critic folks' postings about the greatness of Graham Seymour. Hopefully, he will be as dynamic as everyone says he is, as we certainly were spoiled in 1998.

Thanks for helping to make our last cruise such a success!

Jeff: You were the CD on our second cruise as well...also Monarch, September, 1998 (our honeymoon) Hey Guinness67...what date did you sail?

You were by far the best CD we had and to this date we still joke and quote you when things get a bit crazy: "it's only a game" which you had to say many a times during the game of Battle of the sexes!

I sure wish you were filling in on our Jewel cruise on 10/31!

Could you e-mail your web address as well. My address is my screen name at AOL.com. Thanks!

Cruise Director from the past…

When I sailed RCCL ships for 15 years, it was during the birth and meteoric rise of Cruise Critics.com. Having hosted more than 100 Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle Parties onboard, I was able to see the increasing benefits of those that chatted on CC before taking their voyage. To see what the site has become today is overwhelming, as is the cruise knowledge available to those who subscribe. I still work with RCCL and although more than 600 Cruise Critic readers have visited my site, apparently none of them remember “Big Daddy” as only one couple has taken the time to say Hi. I was hoping it was the CC readers that remembered the likes of Genie Lee, Becky T., Candace B., Big Daddy and the monster R&R nights and endless fun on the Empress, Majesty, Monarch, Voyager, Explorer and Navigator. Do any of today’s CC enthusiasts remember these good times? Enquiring minds want to know!

JPA

Jeff,

I've never sailed with you, but KNEW your name because of all the wonderful, positive comments made about you by other CC's who've experienced your antics as a CD. I'm new to cruising (taking my first cruise on the Mariner in February 2007) and am sorry I've missed the opportunity to see you in action. I read that you have a website... would you send me the link? qtmichele2001 AT yahoo DOT com. Also, any suggestions you have for a first time cruiser would be GREAT!

Take care and enjoy life!

Jeff, you were our CD on our first 3 or 4 cruises! Seems like we followed you every time you moved. Our first was the Majesty, then Voyager, then Explorer and then the Mariner. We sure miss you! Did you end up in Naples and have you ever thought about coming back as a CD?

Jeffrey,

Glad to hear you have a new website. Can you send the web address to: neuphl@comcast.net ?

We are planning to book the Freedom for next May. Really glad to hear your wife enjoyed the show "Once Upon A Time" - really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks again

I know this is most likely impossible to answer, but October of 1996, who was my cruise director on Monarch of the Seas? It was a male, he was great, he was filling in for someone who just left for vacation.... I believe it was his first week on Monarch covering a vacation for the other CD.

I just showed my kids our video from that cruise, and I just remember how wonderful he was, great sense of humor, and a lot of fun!!

T

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is most likely impossible to answer, but October of 1996, who was my cruise director on Monarch of the Seas? It was a male, he was great, he was filling in for someone who just left for vacation.... I believe it was his first week on Monarch covering a vacation for the other CD.

I just showed my kids our video from that cruise, and I just remember how wonderful he was, great sense of humor, and a lot of fun!!

Dear TW67, I don't know if it was me...but I hope so, as you apparently had a great time. There is a photo of me and a video on my website it you want to try and match the face with your video. All the best.

www dot countryclubcruises dot net

Jeff, you were our CD on our first 3 or 4 cruises! Seems like we followed you every time you moved. Our first was the Majesty, then Voyager, then Explorer and then the Mariner. We sure miss you! Did you end up in Naples and have you ever thought about coming back as a CD?

Hi Pinkrosesdeb,

Sorry for the delay...haven't been on the site for awhile. It was nice to know we sailed together so many times. Yes, I was in Naples for 9 years...met a gal in 2002 on the Explorer, left the Navigator in 2003, married her and moved to Ohio. Go figure! I was asked just last month to fill in for Graham Seymour's summer vacation on the Navigator but it didn't work out with my new family! Hopefully I'm still on the RCI "will call" list and may have another opportunity in the future. You can have a look at what I'm doing now if you want to e-mail me and get my website address. Otherwise, I hope we meet again soon on a cruise. If I get asked to fill-in and it works out, I will post on CC for my old seafaring pals that remember Big Daddy!

Dear TW67, I don't know if it was me...but I hope so, as you apparently had a great time. There is a photo of me and a video on my website it you want to try and match the face with your video. All the best.

www dot countryclubcruises dot net

In a million years I never thought I would find who you were again!!! We go on our next Royal Carribean Cruise in less than 2 weeks!! I have been on two other cruises since, and the cruise director could not come even close to the job you did!! Of course that was our last cruise without children, but the best I was ever on!

Terry

Wow a name from the familiar past.

I remember the days of Ray Rouse.... Hostess Noelle Sipos... and others.

I also visit this site from time to time.... sometimes weeks.. months.. and yes.. years in between visits to this site and this website has continued to grow... just like RCI's ships... from an astonishing...breakthrough tonnage of the then new Sovereign of the Seas... 70,000+ to Freedom Class and yes.. then the BIGGIE... 220,000+ in a few years time.

My first sailing on an RCI ship was in 1991 but I previously sailed on a

cruise lines that joined RCCL- Western Cruise Lines and Admiral Cruises.

Well it is nice to find Jeff A. still plying the open seas... when time permits. Even though I just got off the FOS for the second to last

agent cruises (May 29th)- it seems so far away.

Hope my name rings a bell in your memory- I always enjoy my sailings on RCI's ships- For a long time after each cruise I sent a letter to RCI- and

it was funny once I told shoreside mgmt that I gained 7 lbs on a 7 night cruise- all due to the fact that Peter Kofler (Exec. Chef) made me participate in a French Cooking Demonstration in the Atrium. And the next

cruise about 7 months later- I was talking to staff and they said- they heard I sent a complaint letter to RCCL- I said what- then they mentioned

the gaining weight letter.... I died laughing.

I always appreciated the staff on board and shoreside- I remember on the last night of a cruise on the Monarch of the Seas- the Waiter said- I am glad you had a good time and enjoyed my service- then after knowing me for the length of the cruise- he said- that even before the first night- he was informed by shoreside mgmt that I would be sitting at one of his tables and he was bit concerned- I appreciated that- but felt bad for

him- too much stress him to worry if he does something wrong that I might complain- I told him- if you did something I thought was wrong-

I would tell you first- I hate getting people in trouble.

Also Jeff... please email me that website I hear about!

Regards.

Ken

Trevias Travel Service

San Pedro, CA 90731

Jeffrey! So good to see you on the CC boards! I have been away from these boards for a while also but there was something familiar about your CC name and the name of the thread I had to check out. You are the best CD I have ever had the pleasure of sailing with. You can see from the cruises listed below I have sailed with the best CD RCI ever had on numerous occasions. The last conversation we had on the Navigator when you told us you were going to retire to Naples you also told us about this wonderful girl from Ohio that I see is now your bride. Congratulations! Wow...you are going to have to promise to post to this site the next time you fill in...so all your loyal following will have a chance to come along. I checked out your website...very tempting Jeffrey 1/21/07 on Adventure? hmm lets think about this one... Looking forward to seeing you again in the future!

Archived