Delft from Amsterdam

Do you think that it would be worth the train ride to Delft? We will be in Amsterdam 2 day pre-cruise and would love to go to the Delft factory to paint our own tiles. Realize that there is a ton to see in Amsterdam, but thought it might be fun to see a Dutch town as opposed to the city. Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks for your help.

We were in Amsterdam last month for a river cruise and we went to Delft on our own. It is very easy to do. Just in case, though, I used my GPS to mark the Delft train station in case we got lost (we didn't).

We went to Central Station and purchased 2 R/T tickets, 2nd class, fo 40 Euros. The train ride each way is about 40 minutes.

From the Delft train station we just followed the white & blue signs on lamp posts pointing the way to the Royal Delft factory. It was about a 20 minute walk. We were able to just walk in to the factory and take a tour. It was great. However, I did not see any opportunity to paint your own Delftware. Perhaps another Delft manufacturer or facility does this.

After the tour we visited the Royal Delft gift shop ($$$$$) but they have a section for "seconds"---most have flaws that are not detectable by us mortals, so DW found a beautiful plate at 50% off. They also have a lot of other Delft items, not of thier own manufacture which are much less expensive. If you have Royal Delft ship your purchases home for a fee, they waive any VAT. We took that deal and "our" Delft items arrived within 2 weeks. We also had some delicious Dutch Apple-Raisin pie at their small cafe--not surprisingly the china is NOT Delft (or else they would be missing plates regularly :D )

Afterwards, we walked back to town and it was market day in the town square-like a huge and better flea market than what we have here. Lots of fun.

There are trains ever hour, between Amsterdam & Delft, or vice versa. It was a great day trip for us!

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for the information about Delft. We will be in Rotterdam for a day in July and are planning to go to Delft. It is closer than Amsterdam and a friend who lived in Holland says it is like a miniature Amsterdam. Also has canal rides and, of course, the Delft factory.

I see Bill had explained it already..(Hi Bill).

Yes Delft is easy to reach by train. It is even closer to Rotterdam then Amsterdam.

De best and "real" Delft is made by Porceleyne Fles, the one Bill visited. All other may be "handpainted" or Delft, but the best and worldknown is the one mentioned above.

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

Thanks all for your help. Ine, that happens to be the factory that I had in mind. They have a workshop advertised on their website. We painted pottery at one of our local pottery companies here and it is a lot of fun. Will definitely hit the seconds shop. Now that I need readers, I'm sure I won't see the defects. Unfortunately, I don't think that we will be there on a market day.

Hi Ine! Thanks for giving the exact words used on the signs---I forgot what they said, but Rick Steve's book had that tidbit of information, as well. Virginia is very happy with her Delft "second"-we have yet to spot the flaw! Thanks for that tip, too! I hope to have some photos to post in a week or so, including the Royal Delft facility!

We really enjoyed our visit to the Netherlands! Thanks for helping us get started!

• 3 weeks later...

Retrieverdad, in case you are concerned about the trainschedule, there hardly is a difference in schedule on weekends/weekdays.

Only during rushour on workingdays extra trains will run.

you can check schedules on http://www.ns.nl/servlet/Satellite?cid=1075985690180&pagename=www.ns.nl%2FPage%2FSuperHomepageEnglish&lang=en&c=Page

Archived