Tampa Hotels.....Marriott Waterside Hotel

sail7seas

Has anyone stayed in this hotel that HAL uses in Tampa? Opinions? Descriptions?

Anyone booked for a future stay there?

We have booked two days pre and post cruise stays there for when we sail on Veendam but apparently HAL will not stipulate that is where we will be staying. It's book it and we'll let you know at some future date where you will be staying. (We would have booked it independently but there were no available rooms when we tried). They accepted the reservation but will not verify we have a reservation for Marriott....just for somewhere. Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone stayed in this hotel that HAL uses in Tampa? Opinions? Descriptions?

I have a friend in Tampa who says this hotel is very nice.

We have booked two days pre and post cruise stays there for when we sail on Veendam but apparently HAL will not stipulate that is where we will be staying. It's book it and we'll let you know at some future date where you will be staying. (We would have booked it independently but there were no available rooms when we tried). They accepted the reservation but will not verify we have a reservation for Marriott....just for somewhere. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hal had us booked in Pier 66 and 8 weeks before the cruise Hal changed it to the Marriott in North Ft.Lauderdale.

We were supposed to stay there for our pre-cruise night in March but it was changed a couple of days just prior to the cruise because the Hotel overbooked. HAL insisted it was the hotels fault not theirs and did give us a ship-board credit. They changed us to the Tampa Downtown Courtyard which was terrible. We got in about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and spent over an hour just trying to find somewhere to get lunch (it had been a long time since a 5:30 breakfast at the Dayton airport) and finally found a deli. Nothing else was open. The hotel had a restaurant but it wasn't open except for dinner at 6 and it was horrible. We didn't feel very safe walking around the neighborhood even in the afternoon. Hope you don't have the same problem.

When we sailed on the Inspiration out of Tampa last year we did our own transfers and stayed in Medeira Beach on the Gulf Coast for a couple of days. It was a very nice couple of beach days before the cruise.

That doesn't seem fair if HAL has the Mariott listed as part of their pre/post cruise options and then books you elsewhere. I've never booked through a cruiseline for pre/post accomidations. When I sailed out of Tampa I was only staying one night so we stayed at the Amerisuites not to far from the pier. Free shuttle from the airport and the cab fare was pretty reasonable (I forget the exact amount as it's been a couple years ago) but it was only 5 min's away.

I agree, Maureen, and that is the reason for my asking the questions.

Hopefully, we shall get what we have booked and paid for? I simply do not like they charge a set price for a listed hotel and then put you elsewhere at their sole choice. According to the above post about a few days before being told they were staying elsewhere....there was no time to make alternative arrangements and it would be most unsatisfactory for us to be forced to stay in a hotel not of our choice.

I am not willing or agreeable to "staying just anywhere" that they choose.

We shall have to do some "rethinking" about the arrangements. As I wrote, we would have simply booked it on our own but the hotel is full for the nights we want.

We made our own reservations at the Marrioitt Hotel in Tampa which is convenient to the pier and a very lovely new hotel. We flew down the night before on Song Air which is a discount airline and the hotel gave us a senior discount and the price was about 90 dollars per night for a room. It did not include breakfast but they had enough places to have breakfast in the dining room or lovely terrace on the marina. It is a very lovely hotel and near a promenade ,park and mariner. I am sure you will enjoy the service and hotel. We took a cab for a short ride to the pier. it is a full service hotel so the staff summoned our cab which was lined up out side. Enjoy its a lovely place.

:) s7s

If I remember correctly you said that you will be on the 12-day Veendam. Looking at that schedule, the ship leaves Tampa on January 3 - am I correct?

If so, the reason you may not be able to get a room for 2 days prior to your cruise could be due to the fact that New Year's is involved.

January 1 is on a Saturday and many people might not be flying out until Monday, the 3rd.

There are some hotels that require people to book for at least 3 nights whenever January 1 is part of that date.

:)

If you want to make sure you get a specific type of hotel I'd recommend booking something yourself based on my experience (see earlier post) so you know what you’re going to get. Though I really wanted to stay at the Waterside, since I'd heard so much about it, my major issues when they changed us were that it was within just a few days of leaving and that they changed us to a non-comparable hotel. I think the brochures etc always say something like “Marriott Waterside or equivalent”. The Courtyard they put us at was in no way equivalent. I'm sure the credit they gave us ($70 a person) was because the cost of the hotel was that much less but they tried to tell us it was for the inconvenience. If I’d cared that much about the cost I would have booked the cheaper option to begin with. I got the feeling that since both hotels were owned by Marriott they used it as a way to fill up the downtown hotel that would have been empty otherwise. It just made for a very unpleasant start to the trip. We always had good luck with the hotels thru them before that but we’ll definitely be more careful in the future. I hope you’re able to find something that will work for you.

Stayed there last February. Hotel is very nice, room overlooked the water - lots of construction across the way. Unlike Mariner, we found the food & service, especially at breakfast terrible, so bad that I removed the change for one sausage that was uneatable from the bill. I filled out a comment card before we left and when we got home the Manager called me, agreed with me and comp'd our dinner (tuna melt) and breakfast. He said they were changing the menu and making staff changes.

Don't expect the service at this hotel that you get at Pier 66. We arrived with a group on a bus and not one bellman came to help the ladies or us with the luggage - same leaving the hotel for the ship - they were too busy helping people arriving/leaving by car. Front desk and concierge were indifferent and not helpful.

It says right in HAL's brochure with an * beside each hotel that "Hotels of equal standards maybe substituted when necessary". If you want a particular hotel, book it yourself.

Yeas ago we used to sail out of Tampa many times and HAL put us up at the Westshores Guest Quarters - now that was a first rate hotel, in fact HAL executives stayed there also. Lovely hotel, free buffet breakfast and every room was a Suite with separate living room, bedroom and kitchen with full fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. Too bad they still don't use it - don't even know if that is what it is called anymore.

Don't forget Tampa can be very cold in January, as it was in Feb. We nearly froze one year when we decided to sail beginning of January and booked a 2 day pre/post cruise. We had to go out and buy warm sweat shirts - couldn't use the pool or go to the beach.

KK.....Yes, of course we are aware we are arriving on New Year's Day. That is WHY we booked the hotel w/ HAL.

We are choosing to come in on New Year's Day (2 days pre cruise) rather than one day pre cruise as we do not wish to deal with holiday travelers in the airport returning home on Sunday, January 2. Our cruise leaves on January 3.

If there had been availability (or a room becomes available between now and final payment) we shall book independently.

We'll keep checking.

:) s7s

It is rare when we use a HAL transfer. The only place we have used HAL's transfers was when we needed to get from Seattle to Vancouver and vise versa.

Hope you make out on the Marriott.

We are like you, prefer to book our own hotels and transportation.

Esme...we are aware it will not be as warm as FLL in January. We most usually have had decent weather in FLL but there have been several times when we needed sweatshirts/jackets there as well in January/February.

We'll sleep.......ahhhh.......we'll be all rested before our cruise and can board all ready to "play." I find travel days to be very exhausting in the "new world" we all live in. I like having some 'rest up' time.

DH and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt on the Causway. Beautiful property and wonderful restaurants. It's very close to the airport and I checked availability for Jan 1st. Evidently, there are rooms available. Good luck.

chrisnd.....Thank you for mentioning the Grand Hyatt. We considered that hotel but when I heard Marriott highly recommended I forgot about the Hyatt. I think I'll look into that hotel again.

I would not suggest the Hyatt for stays in Tampa. As Hyatts go, the Tampa Downtown Hyatt leaves alot to be desired (has not been updated in 25 years, air conditioning struggles, expensive food in their one restaurant etc).

The Marriot Waterside is a beautiful, new hotel that is right next to where the dock is in Tampa and the Channelside district which is connected by trolley. A great value and a good choice of location.

Another suggestion would be the Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel right across the water from the Waterside. A great hotel with several dining choices and that shares guest passes to the Harbour Island Athletic Club (18 clay tennis courts, huge gym and spa services).

Hope that helps

The first time we were in Tampa, we stayed at the Embasy Suites.

This is the first time that we would NOT recommend them.

There was only a restaurant and it didn't open until 5. The bar didn't open until 4 where you could get sandwiches.

Otherwise we had to walk over to the mall where there were some restaurants for lunch.

The pool is small.

The rooms were nice.

We will go to a different hotel when we cruise out of there Oct 2005.

I have a friend in Tampa who says this hotel is very nice.

Hal had us booked in Pier 66 and 8 weeks before the cruise Hal changed it to the Marriott in North Ft.Lauderdale.

we have stayed there . it is a lovely hotel that is very close to the pier. less than a mile. jcike

uncialman.....Thank you for mentioning the Wyndam. I just went to the Wyndam site and like the look of that hotel very much. I read mention that it is on its own private island....is that a nuisance getting to/from with getting a taxi? I joined the Wyndam By Request program as I am thinking we may cancel the reservation with HAL/Marriott. I prefer going to the Marriott and that is the hotel we want BUT I am not willing to risk them not honoring our booking and sending us elsewhere last minute.

Sorry to say....we are not willing to just stay anywhere at someone else's orders. When we are paying; we pick where we stay. And, some hotels are simply unacceptable to us.

Embassy Suites are always safe and usually okay clean but have never been accomodations we personally select. There's nothing really wrong with them, just not our preference. Were HAL to send us to an Embassy at their whim, we would be very dissatisfied.

The choice we seem to have is:

(a) take a chance HAL will honor our request/reservation/payment for Marriott Waterside and keep the booking with have with them

or

(b) not trust we can rely upon having a room at the hotel we have chosen and are paying for and book elsewhere....although Wyndam would be our second choice.

What do you think the odds are of HAL honoring what they offered and we selected? What would you do?

Thanks.

I agree that every hotel chain has its bad apples, but I assure you that the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay is not one . My DH and I enjoy staying at the Ritz Carlton and other 5 * hotels whenever we travel so we certainly know quality hotels. The Grand Hyatt doesn't compare to the Hyatt in downtown Tampa. It is upscale IMO.

S7S,

The Wyndam Haybour Island used to be one of my favorites. I haven't been there in about 10 years but it was very comfortable in those days with an excellent restaurant and a piano bar in addition to the usual facilities. It is on an island right across from the Tampa Convention Center and has at least two bridges to the mainland, so access is no problem. It is very convenient to the docks - probably a 5 or 10 minute taxi ride.

If I were answering this question back then I could tell you all about it and make some restaurant recommendations, but I hesitate to do so now since I have not been there for so long. You probably already know about the two grande dames - Bern's and the Columbia.

I'll be sailing the Veendam in November but I will be driving to Tampa. Happy sailing!

Archived