Less crowded beach recommendations?

cnmiranda

Hello cruisers, can anyone suggest more quiet beaches in the St. George and Hamilton area? We don't mind taking a taxi for a bit, just looking for a place that is peaceful and off the beaten track. Thanks for any comments.

From Hamilton I would suggest Warwick Long bay. It goes on for ages, has many lttile coves and usually has practiacally no one there. There is a concession truck selling basic snacks but nothing else other than a glorious beach. From Dockyards I would suggest Daniels Head. The resort there has reopened and is beautiful but the public beach is usually deserted and the resort relatively quiet- also they have so many beaches the place seems empty even when its not. Very out of the way spot.

From St Georges the best suggestion is clearwater beach. I have personally never been there but I've heard great things.

We took a bus to Warwick Long Bay, from Hamilton. The bus was jammed from Hamilton to Elbow Beach, then 3/4 of the people got off. The bus started filling up again, but Jobson's Cove at Warwick Long Bay was nearly empty and was picture perfect lovely. (Warning--there's no shade, which is good for most people, not good for this redhead.) When we got another bus, it was crowded. Again, 3/4 of the bus got off, this time at Horseshoe Bay; and then the bus filled up with people leaving Horseshoe Bay, and stayed jammed until we got to the Dockyards (where we took a ferry back to Hamilton). A nice beach, and a nice scenic tour.

We took a taxi from Hamilton to Shelly Beach. There was only one other couple there. It is a bay, so there were no waves, and we could walk out really far with the water at about our waists. We had gone on a bus tour earlier that day and the bus driver pointed it out to us....we really enjoyed it, it was very relaxing, and there were also some small coves to explore. Funny thing is the taxi we took back to the ship, the driver questioned why we would want to go to that beach, but we had already done the bigger beaches the day before with all the crowds and at this beach we felt like we had it all to ourselves. Have a wonderful time!!:p

Thanks so much Joanandjoe, Pittfan, and Bermudalou. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, we were on the Radiance:)

Your comments are most helpful. I am printing out this thread to take with us. The mentioned beaches are exactly what we're looking for. We may purchase one of those cheap (fingers crossed) beach umbrellas or some sort of chair cover to hopefully prevent sunburn.

13 days to go!

Thanks again for your suggestions, they are spot on!

We took the city bus to Warwick/Long Bay and then walked/swam all the way down the beach and some dunes trails to Horseshow Bay where we caught the bus back to the ship. FANTASTIC DAY!! Some of the little coves we found had no other footprints but ours! There are beach restrooms ( stainless steel outhouse fixtures!) at Long Bay - check them out! It is a several mile walk, but so worth it! We had a beautiful sunny day and it was PARADISE! There is a restaurant/giftshop & restrooms at Horseshoe bay. We caught the bus back to the ship at Horseshow Bay. You may want to pay the couple bucks for the shuttle ride up the hill to the road where the busstop is located. We walked it, but it's a REAL workout!

We just got back from Bermuda. Had a large group including some not very mobile people so we stuck to the beaches that had the easiest accesability.

One suggestion is to check out which other ships are in port and head to Horseshoe when there are the fewest ships. Zenith leaves on sat so is in on Monday while most of the other ships don't arrive until tuesday. We were at Hosreshoe on Monday and it was pretty empty.

Daniels Head was delightful. There is shade at the public beach and at the resort. We had lunch and drinks and sat on their dock and swam from theri beach all afternoon. It is a picture perfect location and the place was just about empty on Tuesday. The guys told us the resort was full but most people arrive on Sat or Sunday so by tuesday many are off exploring other parts of the island.

We went to John Smiths on Wedsnesday- Bermuda Day Holiday. Although there were many families at the beach it didn't feel crowded. The snorkeling was surprisingly good- go to the rocks on the right and follow the reef straight out from the rock point.

Finally on Thursday we went to Tobacco Bay. Again although there was a crowd it didn't feel very crowded and the bay itself was crystal clear. We have snorkeled around from Achille bay and can see the silt from Tobacco in the open ocean but not this week.

I quess my point is even though we didn't go to our favorite places- with the esception of Daniel's head each of the beach days was great. Finally I also can not do sun. Buy a shade shelter. My old one broke as I was getting packed(on Tuesday) and I paniced because everyplace on line was a 5-7 day shipping time. I went ot Target and picked one up for $29. It is easy to set up, very stable even in high wind (something umbreelas are not)and folds up to a very packable/carryable size. I have always carried a shelter with me whenever I travel- along with my own snorkel gear so I can go wherever I want and not have to be at a beach with a thousand other cruisers. Get one and you'll never have to worry about the sun again.

We just got back from Bermuda. Had a large group including some not very mobile people so we stuck to the beaches that had the easiest accesability.

One suggestion is to check out which other ships are in port and head to Horseshoe when there are the fewest ships. Zenith leaves on sat so is in on Monday while most of the other ships don't arrive until tuesday. We were at Hosreshoe on Monday and it was pretty empty.

Daniels Head was delightful. There is shade at the public beach and at the resort. We had lunch and drinks and sat on their dock and swam from theri beach all afternoon. It is a picture perfect location and the place was just about empty on Tuesday. The guys told us the resort was full but most people arrive on Sat or Sunday so by tuesday many are off exploring other parts of the island.

We went to John Smiths on Wedsnesday- Bermuda Day Holiday. Although there were many families at the beach it didn't feel crowded. The snorkeling was surprisingly good- go to the rocks on the right and follow the reef straight out from the rock point.

Finally on Thursday we went to Tobacco Bay. Again although there was a crowd it didn't feel very crowded and the bay itself was crystal clear. We have snorkeled around from Achille bay and can see the silt from Tobacco in the open ocean but not this week.

I quess my point is even though we didn't go to our favorite places- with the esception of Daniel's head each of the beach days was great. Finally I also can not do sun. Buy a shade shelter. My old one broke as I was getting packed(on Tuesday) and I paniced because everyplace on line was a 5-7 day shipping time. I went ot Target and picked one up for $29. It is easy to set up, very stable even in high wind (something umbreelas are not)and folds up to a very packable/carryable size. I have always carried a shelter with me whenever I travel- along with my own snorkel gear so I can go wherever I want and not have to be at a beach with a thousand other cruisers. Get one and you'll never have to worry about the sun again.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice Blueberry. I believe I took a Bermuda cruise on the NCL Sea back in 2002 and met you on the boards then. I loved Bermuda back then, and when comparing hotel prices, cruising is still the way to go. Any other hints you can think of, please post.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be docked at the dockyards on a Sunday. Since we'll only be in Bermuda for 1 day we're planning to stay in Sandys Parrish. We're trying to decide wether to go to Daniels Head or Mangrove Bay(Somerset Village). Any suggestionswould be of GREAT help to us!! We've been to just about all the other Bermuda beaches & this gives us an opportunity to see this part of Bermuda. How hard is it to get a cab to these beaches & get a cab back to the dockyards?

Archived