Planning first river cruise. Viking vs. Uniworld

lndamitch

Even tho my husband and I are totally sold on Uniworld, I think that you must first determine the itinerary you want--all lines don't stop at exactly the same ports. Look at the price of the comparible lines--do they include everything except for the bar bill? Are most of the tours optional or included. Then make your decision. One thought---none of the river cruises really have any "nite life". There may be entertainment in the lounge for part of the evening, but that it usually over early. Uniworld has no formal nites. There is open seating at all meals--a great way to spend time with your fellow cruisers.. Their tours are all included. Their cabins have hotel style beds, not pull down or pull out. Cabins are a comfortable size. We have taken one from the Atlantic to Paris on the Seine, one from the Black Sea to Amsterdam, one from Buenes Aires to Santiago (using an NCL ship) and in less than a month, we will be on the River Royal from Lyon to Arles. You can also search this site for more comparisans. Whatever you choose, will be right for you. Enjoy! Any more questions?

Pat

Hi,

I did a lot of research before we decided on Viking, including going to Uniworld and Vikings offices here in California and neeting with the officers of the companies..I will be on Viking for 15 days in October..so that is definitely the line I chose..

Jan

My wife and I have taken cruises on both lines, Viking (Holland and Belgium)and Uniworld (Seine from Normandy to Paris), as well as a trip down the Danube on Avalon. To be totally honest, we loved all three trips. Found the food and service comparable on all three as well as the accommodations. I do not think you will go wrong with either Viking or Uniworld. The suggestion that you check the itinerary is the real key. Where do you want to go and what do you want to see? While most itinararies are similar, they are not identical. The number of included tours vs. those that are optional and that you pay extra for is another item worth looking into. But as for service, food and accommodations, I think you would do well with either line.

Dsimon,

You and I have said the same thing. If the price is the same, the itinerary is most important. We probably will not use Uniworld for Russia. The cabins are miniscule. Avalon has the best for Russia. You will get just about the same food wherever. Pat

Pat,

Last year when I was doing my research, Uniworld had just been sold and to tell the truth I was concerned..even tho I have a very good friendthat came to work in the coporate office from Oceania..Viking at the time, seemed to have all their ducks in a row and were very organized..I have several friends and clients that have done Viking to China and LOVED it..CaClays I believe did a revues on this board last summer..if you would like to email her let me know and I will check that it is ok..

Jan

Jan,

I would love to hear her experiences on Viking - China. She could e-mail me at arizonatraveler8@yahoo.com if you would pass it along.

Also, on a different thread you had posted an AOL e-mail to contact you re highs and lows of Oceania cruises - I tried it and it bounced back. Was an older thread so may not be a current e-mail for you. I'd love your input as to the "if I had it to do over again, here's what I would change" comments. My husband and I are booked for 9/26/06 Nautica Istanbul to Venice. First-time Oceania cruisers.

Thanks, Pat

You might also look at Vantage Travel. We did their Holland to Hungary cruise last August and were really pleased with everything. Otherwise you have to look at each company's tour...compare what each offers and what each makes optional. Some are priced lower but make some of the stops/tours optional. We did that and found Vantage was the best deal. Willard

Archived