NCI Star to Alaska versus Carnival or RCI

CrusinAgain

I have always used Carnival or Princess and really want to try something different not because of bad service but I like to compare. I know Princess isn't the ship for us and I really enjoy Carnival since the rooms are so nice and they do have self-serve ironing and laundry rooms on their ships but they don't have a ship that leaves from Seattle to Alaska.

I have noticed some of NCI ships have laundry rooms but RCI doesn't.

Some of the pics I see of NCI ships on the NCI site aren't really enticing and looks rather on the low end of the scale. So that is what I was wanting to know. Where can I go to get some decent pics of the Star ship and what is it that keeps you returning to NCI.

Thanks much!

Some of the pics I see of NCI ships on the NCI site aren't really enticing and looks rather on the low end of the scale. So that is what I was wanting to know. Where can I go to get some decent pics of the Star ship and what is it that keeps you returning to NCI. Thanks much!

To find some great photos of any cruise ship, surf to

http://cruiseclues.com/

Just a warning, this year NCL is using the Star, Sun, and Wind for Alaska cruises. None of these have self service laundrys aboard.

Here are some more great pics of the Star...

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/shipcafe.htm click on Norwegian Star.

We've taken 3 (soon to be 4) cruises to AK on NCL. 1 each on the Sky (now the Pride of Aloha) the Star and the Spirit. Our next cruise in 4 weeks will be on the Star again. It's a beautiful ship!

What keeps us coming back to NCL? Freestlye cruising, first of all. We love the relaxation of not having to get dressed to the nines for the evening meals, and being able to eat when, where and what we want with whomever we want, instead of being on a structured schedule.

We have loved the service we've received from NCL. They have truly treated us with kindness & respect and we always have the feeling that they are happy to serve.

And in contrast with what you might have read a lot on the board lately, we have found the food to be good to very good most of the time and excellent some of the time.

Hope this helps!

Hikini:D

I have some photos of the Star too, from my October 2005 cruise. Click on the three links below to view them. Click on any photo to make it bigger ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=98994

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=98992

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=99511

Here are some of my favorite photos of the Star (which are in the links above) ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99121&g2_serialNumber=3

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99119&g2_serialNumber=3

And here are some photos that are not in the links above ...

Here is one of the Star leaving San Pedro on its first cruise after drydock ...

Star2-4-2-06.jpg

And here is one I took just before the Star ran me over ...

Star3-4-2-06.jpg

And this is what it looked like after it ran me over ...

Star6-4-2-06.jpg

Cuizer2,

Thanks for those links. In them you had a "typical ocean view" cabin. This looks far different than a balcony one and really looked nice and had huge windows overlooking the ocean. Why the big difference? And the bathroom overlooking the ocean? Was that a suite?

Cuizer2,

Thanks for those links. In them you had a "typical ocean view" cabin. This looks far different than a balcony one and really looked nice and had huge windows overlooking the ocean. Why the big difference? And the bathroom overlooking the ocean? Was that a suite?

You had me going for a second. I forgot about that little joke. I was in a balcony cabin. The "typical ocean view" cabin photo you are referring to is one of the three bedrooms (or bathrooms - I am too lazy to go back and check, each bedroom has its own connected bathroom) in the Garden Villa. The Garden Villa sleeps six and can be yours for a mere $25,000 per week. My cabin is in album one. The Garden Villa is in album three if I recall correctly. The photos used to be in order, but after some problem or upgrade (or problem caused by an upgrade) the order of the photos changed. However, all the photos of the floor to ceiling windows looking out over the ship or over the ocean are part of the Garden Villa. By the way, if you have eleven other friends, there are two of them that can be connected, that is if you can survive in 6000+ sq. ft. of inside space with 4000+ sq. ft. of private balcony space (with a private hot tub) not to mention at least another 6000+ of upper balcony space (so you can have a party with 200 of your closest friends) By the way, those numbers are for both - for one, divide by two (each has a private hot tub). And it is $25,000 for each villa (only $4000 per person per week).

all i can say is Freestyle has got me hooked to NCL,

not to mention the iteneraries and the service, and the relaxed atmosphere. kid friendly. the PRICE.. they only charged us 100 for our 6 year old on an 8 day cruise... wow balcony room also, we paid what we paid when we didnt take our daughter,,,

beautiful interiors. very colorful etc etc

i could go on and on

but yeah i would try NCL so then you could compare,

weve been on celebrity ( too old of a crowd )

carnival ( 2nd fav )

and NCL ( fav)

good luck deciding

melissa

Archived