New Wine Policy and Missing Passenger

I know that on the RCI website a few months ago it said you could bring 2 bottles of wine on board and corkage is $12 now the website states NO alcohol of anykind. No mention of a corkage fee either. The only disclaimer is that rules can be different at each port. I looked at RCI wine list and it said you can order and it will be in your cabin but the list is not that great. Im still bringing my own.

Just got back from VOS transatlantic cruise. We brought 5 bottles of wine on board. 3 in carry on and 2 in checked. No questions asked. I brought the first bottle with me at lunch because it had to be chilled for dinner. I was charged $12 for the corkage fee. The other 4 bottles were brought to dinner and were not charged any fee. Oh course the Head Waiter mentioned severeal times that he should charge, but that he was not going to:D . We also bought several bottles at ports and brought them onboard. We were stopped and asked to release the wine to them. After I asked what guarantee did I get that they would be given back to me the last night, since they were expensive bottles, they allowed me to keep them each time.:) Your mileage may vary:rolleyes:

When I was on the NCL Star a couple years ago, I was going to buy a watch in their fancy jewlrey store & they were going to use my VISA instead of my ship's card. In the end I decided not to buy it after all.

Royal Caribbean only allows you to bring on 2 bottles of wine? We usually sail on Celebrity a bring on wine for the dining room. We enjoy Ice Wine with dessert, & they don't carry it. One bottle only lasts us 2 dinners. We would need 3 for a 7 night cruise. Occasionally, we bring on other wines as well. Celebrity doesn't limit the amount we bring on. I have no problem with them taking it at embarkation & delivering it to the dining room. This keeps us from having to send it by our cabin attendant. I just need to know how many bottles they allow. On a side note, I like the $12 corkage fee better than the $15 we're used to paying. :D

I was told yesterday by RCI that you could bring on two bottles of wine as long as they weren't on their wine list. If your chosen wine is on their list that you are unable to bring it onboard. Of course theres always your luggage.;)

I was told yesterday by RCI that you could bring on two bottles of wine as long as they weren't on their wine list. If your chosen wine is on their list that you are unable to bring it onboard. Of course theres always your luggage.;)

I wish it was on their list. That would be much more convenient. Somehow, I doubt it.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the wine list in both the main dining room & specialty restaurants? TIA :)

I wish it was on their list. That would be much more convenient. Somehow, I doubt it.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the wine list in both the main dining room & specialty restaurants? TIA :)

Yes the list is on their website. The RCI rep said its the same wine list for all ships if you go to www.royalcaribbean.com then go to to the tab "before you board" ,scroll to and click "gifts & gear",under gifts & gear abroad click on "shop now", scroll down to "wine cellar" and click and you will see the list of wines available onboard.

Sandie

The policy changed a year or so ago. The current policy reads that no alcohol may be brought on board.

It's about time! And from a practical standpoint, take a look at Royal Caribbean's stock price. Over the years, RCL has lost countless $$$ to "smugglers." From a stockholders standpoint, this action was long overdue!

In our experience, the employees and others assisting with boarding are often woefully unaware of the policies, how to interpret them and basic facts. When checking in for the Mariner, the employee checking us in insisted that no credit cards could be used on board -- only a Seapass card. We said this was surprising since we'd been on at least 10 previous RCCL cruises and had always used our credit card in the shops. He insisted that was not possible on Mariner. Of course, he was totally wrong. Have the employees never been on the ships??

I used to work as a shore service rep for various cruise lines, and most of the employees checking you in at the terminal have never sailed on a cruise ship before. Some of them may have been lucky enough to get a brief tour of the ship, but thats usually about it as far as actual cruising experience goes (unless they were experienced cruisers already). Their information as far as policies etc. comes from their managers/supervisors.

Archived