Just off QM2! Loved it!

avalon1025

Just off the June 19th Crossing of QM2 and loved every minute. Here is a brief overview:

Sail Away was delayed due to someone killing themself enroute to NYC. It actually turned out to be great as we had a wonderful evening departure, fireworks and all.

The ship is spectacular, after our last cruise on the Golden Princess, we had given up on the mega size ships, but QM2 we fell in love with. The grand public rooms and tasteful decor wo us over. I did not find her glitzy and I loved our Hull Balcony (we had plenty of light streaming into our cabin). The bedding, and cabin furnishing were definately an marked upgrade over a mainstream line.

The entertainment by RADA was great, a bit to avant-gard for many Americans onboard (I hear one woman say she did not recognize one song and got up and left). Can't please everyone.

There seems to be three type of passengers, those that loved QE2 and nothing, and I mean nothing could top the QE2 (sailed her twice and loved it, but the spa can be beat on QM2). Those that were looking for a royal caribbean type experience (yes, no rock climbing wall, thank goodness) and those that really appreciated all that was built into the QM2, those teal expansive decks, the teak deck chairs, the grand rooms and those dramatic hallways on decks 2 and 3!

There was some room for imrprovement, my bill was wrong every day and way never really fixed (I had other cabins charges, but I was able to widdle the bill to within $4 of my true bill, so I did not try go go any further). Check you bills there is a computer phantom! Todd English reservations that mysteriously vanished then re appeard (I have to interject that Todd English was on the best meals I have had at sea)

Service was good, not great, but everyone greeted you with a hello and everyone did try. The Britania restaurant, food was good, venue grand, service, hit or miss. The room is massive, may thats why? We were used to Caronia on QE2 so we were expecting some deterioration here. Again, nothing horrible, and I am sure it will be worked out shortly.

Overall a really special crossing, loved her so much we booked Nov 6th 04 and Dec 20, 05!

Enjoy the QM2!

I must say it was an experience to be watching BBC news onbaord when they had all the coverage about the bathrooms and the fire certification, and your on the ship!

JT

Thanks for the nice review! We're booked in a hull balcony cabin for next April's Caribbean out of NYC. Do have one question though. Have seen actual pictures of the cabin and it sure doesn't look like 248 sq. ft. to me. It looks sort of like a standard balcony cabin that you would find on Carnival or RCI (about 185 sq. ft.?). Did you think the same when you were in it? On the deck plan, the cabin area looks larger than the inside cabins which are suppose to be 194 sq. ft. Am I looking at this picture right? Or is it an illusion? Thanks.

Service was good, not great, but everyone greeted you with a hello and everyone did try.
IMHO, this is a wonderful and most accurate general description of the service aboard QM2.

All things considered (wages, ship's schedule, unfamiliarity with ship, 100% newness, Maiden year etc) -- and especially human warmth and imperfection -- I don't think we should expect (demand) more from the crew.

What that doesn't take into consideration is Cunard's QM2 marketing campaign -- which is overpromising in the service of creating an image of perfection for the ship and which is also miningour fantasies about the golden age of transatlantic crossings in just about every aspect of the QM2's operation. It's a tricky line to walk, but such is modern marketing. At some point, caveat emptor (buyer beware) kicks in.

My advice: If you really want to enjoy yourself on the QM2, board with a similar expectation as Chuck & Phyllis have described and then be delighted when, on occasion, it is vastly exceeded -- and either go with the flow or make a reasonable complaint if/when a crewmember crosses the line into rudeness, neglect, or cluelessness.

On my crossing, I would guess that at least 85-90% of the crew were geninely working to make things right for the passengers. It was often enjoyable to watch them do it too.

Crouton

I thjink the above post sumarises my attitude to our forthcoming crusie on QM2. I don't expect perfection as that can only lead to disapointment. Rather; I expect the attitude and commitment to be heading in the right direction. After all they've had nearl seven months to sort the problems we are all aware of.

Archived