What ports are good for small kids?

MSUcruisers

My daughter would like to go on a cruise with us next winter. Her husband has a new job and little vacation time. What ports/excursions would be good for 2 small children (They will be 1 and almost 4 by then)? Car safety is a concern so if we can do things that don't require taxis, it would be great. The Blue Lagoon cruise in Nassau is one excursion I can think of that is child friendly. Any other suggestions?

When we traveled with my niece and nephew when they were about that age, we stuck to great beach ports. St. Thomas and St. Maarten were great (and there is a small zoo or aquarium - I can' t remember which) next to one of the beaches.

That same cruise had a stop in San Juan (just from 5-10 pm). That was horrible as my brother tried to walk down the cobblestone streets and sidewalks of Old San Juan with a double stroller - FORGET IT!

It's a different cruise with small children, but if they love the beach (as mine do), it will be great! You can save cabe-tubing and Mayan ruins for when they get older!

• 1 month later...

HI,

If they do Mexico, Playa Del Carmen, there is a great ecopark(Xcaret) with all sorts of great kid friendly stuff including animals, butterflies, etc. plus a small beach.

My daughter would like to go on a cruise with us next winter. Her husband has a new job and little vacation time. What ports/excursions would be good for 2 small children (They will be 1 and almost 4 by then)? Car safety is a concern so if we can do things that don't require taxis, it would be great. The Blue Lagoon cruise in Nassau is one excursion I can think of that is child friendly. Any other suggestions?

You're really going to be limiting yourselves by not taking taxis or buses. I can think of very few great excursions that I have been on that didn't require some sort of transportation like that. Also, do you already know what ports you are going to or are you deciding between cruises? I'd recommend a port-intensive one with little kids. Anyway, I've taken my son at 1-1/2, 2-1/2, and 3 on cruises. The favorite excursions were going to the beach. He also loved going on catamarans. Those were great when my hubby (or someone else) could take turns with me snorkeling while the other took care of my son and either stayed on the boat or just played with him in the water. I would recommend bringing you own life jackets if you take sailing excursions, some don't have tiny sizes. Have fun!

Key West was a good stop with our daughter when she was 4. She still talks about the house with all the cats (Hemingway's House.) Performers, fun food, kid friendly shopping.

She also enjoyed the craft markets and beaches everywhere.

In Belize we took her on a boat ride to a small island where I snorkeled and she and mon enjoyed the beach.

Last year when she was 6 we did a van tour in Jamaica with a very careful driver. We did a boat ride in Freeport and the craft market. We rented a car in Grand Cayman and went to a picture perfect beach and a little shopping.

Try not to worry too much about car transportation. The rest of the world simply does not have the same level of requirements, and even in the US people don't use car seats on buses and taxis. You will have to use them to get to the fun in most ports.

We have always gone to the eastern carribean ports with our kids (St Marten, St Thomas) and the Bahamas. We have never alowed our kids in one of the taxis (they scare me...lol) but have always found lots of things to do. You can always take a cruiseline excursion on the shuttle buses if you are afraid of taxis.

We've been to Coral World, Dolphin Encounters and beaches are always fun with the kids.

This will be our first cruise on a western itinerary and I am having a hard time finding things for young kids to do.

Archived