Ginger Root for sea sickness

It has been my experience that those who think they will get seasick - do.

I have to politely disagree. My DH can do rollercoasters, no car sickness, no motion sickness whatsoever - he got seasick.

I on the other hand, can't even watch a boat in a movie without getting dizzy and I did not get sick.

I took ginger, he did not. Ginger works!

I also get seasick and found ginger pills to work wonderfully! For some reason, after my last cruise I was motion sick when I got home. So the 2-3 days after my cruise I took ginger pills and the nausea went away. Who would've thought getting used to dry land would cause reverse seasickness..?

I ride roller-coasters, go out in my boat in the local lakes when the it rocking and rolling on the water and never had problem with motion sickness. Within the first hour of leaving the dock I was sicker than a dog, I used the dramamine and I was not sick, but I was tired all the time

For me the over the counter medicine Bonine worked fine and I did not have any problems, however on my last cruise I ate candied ginger and had a supply of ginger candies with me and I did not have any problems, even though we had waves of 18-21 feet the last sea day. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow and getting some ginger root capsules, and will still take the ginger candies with me. I picked up several different kinds of ginger candy at World Market.

I have been using the ginger tablets from a health food store and take two as I step onboard the ship.. and every day at sea.. Ginger tablets works the same way as flat gingerale does/did when you were sick as a child.. Also, I bring along mint tea bags.. that settles your stomach.. So between ginger and mint tea I've become a decent cruiser..lol

I don't usually get sea sick, but I do get a bit of a headache and nausea when I get migraines. I am thinking of ginger with me this time and see if it makes a difference.

Have you found the pills work better than the candy, or are they both about the same?

The problem is I love the sugared ginger but if I took it on a cruise I'd be eating it.. so I stick to the tablets. and mint tea

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Does anyone have a suggestion for ginger without sugar. Many people have health conditions that do not permit sugar but would prefer the natural ginger product. Does the pickled ginger used with Sushi work too? Thanks for any assistance.

Fran

The ginger pills are a capsule and as far as I know have no added sugars. Check GNC web page for more info. There is also Ginger Tea, sweeten your won way. Both are good. I take the capsules two weeks before a cruise. I am prone to vertigo so these help keep me stable and able to have fun... I take a few after a cruise to avoid sealegs as well.

Mythbusters on the discovery channel tested this. They tried all sorts of home remedies. The only one that worked was the ginger pills. It was a funny episode.
Did they include Crystalized Ginger in their tests?

I ask because I've found that it works GREAT for car-sickness. I mean, it was like 30 seconds before I felt relief. WONDERFUL STUFF. Of course, I'm assuming that car-sickness and seasickness are treatable with the same things. I've never actually been seasick (knocking on wood, don't wnat to tempt fate). I wish I'd known about it when I had horrible morning sickness.

I bought mine at Harris Teeter, but I've seen it in the produce department of other grocery stores too.

Edited by MrsPete

For seasickness, my doctor told me about this remedy. He was a Navy corpman before medical school. He says it is all in your head anyway. TAPE AN ASPIRIN IN YOUR BELLY BUTTON!

He sounds like the doctor that told me my "female problems" were in my head. Funny thing is....a few years later I had to have a hysterectomy due to the tumors that caused those "female problems.":mad: ~Idiot....:cool:

You can find ginger products in Marshalls and TJMaxx in the home goods section, if you are unable to find the candy and candied versions in your local grocery store.

Or even online if you live out in the boonies, try Amazon.com

Edited by Sqwii

For seasickness, my doctor told me about this remedy. He was a Navy corpman before medical school. He says it is all in your head anyway. TAPE AN ASPIRIN IN YOUR BELLY BUTTON!

If it's "all in your head" why did I wake up in the middle of the night with the worse dizzyness and nausea I had ever felt? I was asleep when mine hit. I had never had it before on a ship. I have "land sickness" if I'm coming off a small fishing boat I've been on for a few hours. I'm fine while the boat is rocking, the solid ground is when I start weavin' and getting dizzy :o

I have to sort of agree with BAX.... If you don't have a medical problem and you don't normally suffer motion sickness, you probably won't get seasick.

It has been my experience that those who think they will get seasick - do.

A person COULD conceivably talk themselves into it, but it's a real condition. Mine occured while I was sleeping..I woke up with it, so coming from a person (me) who USED to say it was all in a person's head....I have changed my tune :) Until you've experienced it, you can't understand :)

If it's "all in your head" why did I wake up in the middle of the night with the worse dizzyness and nausea I had ever felt? I was asleep when mine hit. I had never had it before on a ship. I have "land sickness" if I'm coming off a small fishing boat I've been on for a few hours. I'm fine while the boat is rocking, the solid ground is when I start weavin' and getting dizzy :o
I've never had it myself, but my friend was fine the first half of the cruise . . . then she opened up her second box of meds, she got sick after a few hours! A quick investigation showed that her first box had been 12 hour pills, while her second box was only good for 6 hours at a stretch.

So much for it being "in your head".

We also have found ginger capsules to be helpful. Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but who cares? It's not drugs; it has no side effects; it's not habit forming. We don't generally experience much seasickness anyway unless the seas are very, very rough, which rarely happens on the itineraries and times of year we cruise. Ginger is a good preventive. On a couple of cruises, we took meclazine (generic less drowsy dramamine) in the evenings, but one time I forgot it 2 nights in a row--and we hadn't even noticed! That's when we switched to ginger, but we keep meclazine on hand just in case of rough conditions.

beachchick

• 1 month later...
I have heard Ginger Root prevents sea sickness. Has anyone ever tried this? Do these pills work?

We've used them all the time for fishing trips and they work for us. (I've never been sick on a cruiseship to try them on that.) I do always have Bonine as well, just in case. I think we've only had to resort to Bonine maybe once.

If you are really prone to being seasick, start taking the ginger a day or two before. Friends that get sick and used to use those patches behind the ear, said this solved their problem.

divanicki, ginger pills and ginger root pills are one in the same.

Edited by Tralynn

I'm going on my first cruise next month and I'm wondering: is there a difference between ginger pills and ginger root pills or are people just calling the same thing by 2 similar names? Thanks!

They are the same thing. Both consist of ground/powdered ginger root. We think capsules are best, but I'm sure pills work well too.

beachchick

• 4 months later...

This Navy corpman Doctor is giving you false info....It is NOT all in your head. Dogs and infants also get motion sickness.....I wonder if it's all in THEIR head too....As for Ginger, I can't wait to try some great ideas that have been posted here!