Anchorage or Fairbanks as a Final Destination?

Vols Cruiser

This is my first thread and I just completed my first cruise in April. We enjoyed it so much we are planning to take a Princess Cruise Tour next year in June to Alaska. We are planning to cruise North and tour 4-5 days. Does anyone have advice on flying back out of Anchorage or Fairbanks? Is one city a better stay or is the airline flights and rates better out of one of them?

This is my first thread and I just completed my first cruise in April. We enjoyed it so much we are planning to take a Princess Cruise Tour next year in June to Alaska. We are planning to cruise North and tour 4-5 days. Does anyone have advice on flying back out of Anchorage or Fairbanks? Is one city a better stay or is the airline flights and rates better out of one of them?

As Anchorage is a major Alaska hub, it will ususlly be less expensive to fly to the Lower 48 from there.

As I am a Fairbanksan, I have to say that Fairbanks is a wonderful place and you'll be missing quite a bit by not coming here! Anchorage has over half the population of the state living in it and is very congested with terrible traffic problems. Fairbanks is much smaller with more of a frontier feel to it. I am prejudice, I know, but when it comes to going to Los Anchorage, I avoid it as much as possible! That's just me, though... There are some positives about Anchorage, my preference happens to be Fairbanks.

What are your interests? If you do some research on both cities and look at the differences in airfare you may find that your choice between Fairbanks and Anchorage is an easy one for you.

Please post something more specific and I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have! FYI - I've been in Alaska for 21+ years and have spent 18 of those in Fairbanks and 3 of those years in Anchorage. I think I can help you! Also, please feel free to email me...

ahawman@acsalaska.net

Cheers!

Taters

It might help if we know where you are flying from/to (in the lower 48).

Most Fairbanks flights (although not all) will stop in Anchorage before heading somewhere else. Therefore, timing shouldn't be a concern; you'll take a penalty anyway. (Fairbanks to Anchorage is about a 45 minute flight. Continuing flights stop for 30-45 minutes.)

Check with PRINCESS first ... some of their packages include return airfare to Anchorage (or, at least they did at one time). Then, check the ALASKA AIRLINES web-site for fares. Other airlines, such as DELTA and UNITED, may have seasonal service to Fairbanks; but, your choices are rather limited.

I coming from Nashville, TN. This will also be the first big travel vacation for my two kids (ages 6 and 10). First flight, rail and cruise. All of our family vacations in the past have been by car. The kids are very well mannered for the cruise and the 10 year old is a history and nature buff. The kids are used to vacationing in big cities so I'm sure Anchorage would have plenty. I was thinking about Fairbanks because they (and I) might get a more unique experience. Both kids have already expressed interest in wildlife watching, gold mine exploration and dogsledding (if that gives you a feel for what we're looking at). As far as costs, the air is about $100 per person more out of Faibanks and the tour is $100 more pp going to Anchorage so it works out about the same.

We ended our tour in Fairbanks in '04 and NWA had a direct flight from Fairbanks to the Minneapolis airport...cost was the same as flying from Anchorage. I would suggest booking your own air...and If you are cruising with kids, I would also consider booking the cruisetour on your own (see Alaska cruise critic board, and especially look for posts by Budget Queen for specific advice). We did choose a Princess cruisetour, but selected one that was slow paced, with one night in Anchorage, 2 nights in Denali, and 2 nights in Fairbanks. This was also OK, as it gave us time to take the longer tour in Denali (essential, as the natural history tour is essentially worthless...doesn't go deep enough into Denali for most wildlife...tundra wilderness tour is better, and park shuttles go even deeper. We were there in May, and road was still open for passenger cars, so we were able to rent a car for the day and drive in again on our second day there). My kids enjoyed the river rafting and horseback riding in Denali, as well as the gold panning and river boat in Fairbanks. We also liked having the day in Anchorage to do some touring on our own (also rented a car for the day).

My then-5yo son still talks about this trip as the best vacation ever...it is a fantastic family adventure!

It's still too early to see airline schedules and fares for June 2007. These open about 11 months prior to flight dates ... so figure late July.

A very brief look at the 2006 fares on the UNITED site indicates that you can do somewhat better if you avoid flying on the day of the cruise. Flying into Vancouver the night before can save enough for a nice hotel room ... and that's just on one person's airfare.

So, do some shopping around first, and try to be flexible with your travel days and times. (It looks like the return from Alaska will probably be overnight anyway.) And, don't automatically reject the fare that PRINCESS offers; it might just be a good deal.

A big problem with a great many princess cruisetour is their inclusion of only the Natural History tour. My opinion- a complete waste of time, goes only 16 miles in of the 90 into Denali Park. Like seeing Disneyland only from the parking lot!!!

Also I never recommend cruisetours for families, they are extremely costly and being on a fixed group travel mode just doesn't cut it with kids. They are likely to be the only ones as so few kids are on these cruisetours. Far superior and allowing you the most freedom, go on your own. Rent a car and stop and see what is of your interest.

As for Fairbanks vs Anchorage, both are very worthwhile cities to visit, but you need 2 nights in Fairbanks, as well as 2 nights in Denali Park. I also highly recommend you get to Seward- just fantastic city for activities.

Make the most of your trip. Plenty of accurate information on the Alaska Board, do go over and take a look. Spend some time reading and get an idea of what it is like to travel Alaska, then make your own plans. Time is essential, you need as much as you can get. Distances are vast and you don't want a trip with all the time in transit- unfortunately many cruisetours are.

http://www.toursaver.com can offer significant cost savings. Consider some small B&B's some take kids, get some real Alaska adventures to write home about!

I coming from Nashville, TN. This will also be the first big travel vacation for my two kids (ages 6 and 10). First flight, rail and cruise. All of our family vacations in the past have been by car. The kids are very well mannered for the cruise and the 10 year old is a history and nature buff. The kids are used to vacationing in big cities so I'm sure Anchorage would have plenty. I was thinking about Fairbanks because they (and I) might get a more unique experience. Both kids have already expressed interest in wildlife watching, gold mine exploration and dogsledding (if that gives you a feel for what we're looking at). As far as costs, the air is about $100 per person more out of Faibanks and the tour is $100 more pp going to Anchorage so it works out about the same.

Several things...

Isn't Nashville the big NW Airlines hub? They may have some decent deals on airfare to FAI, as they are one of the few airlines that flies into FAI on a seasonal basis. They also partner with Alaska Airlines (the only large airline to fly here year 'round), so you may be able to find a fare on the Alaska Airlines web site as well.

For your interests, Fairbanks does seem like the natural choice... Fairbanks is a gold mining town with a rich history and several activity choices revolving around the industry. You can visit the El Dorado Gold Mine, drive out to Chatanika for a look at the 2nd largest gold dredge in Alaska (inop since the 60s) and have a great burger at the Chatanika Lodge across the street, and/or go to Gold Dredge #8 for a tour. I agree with Budget Queen that these things are best done on your own with kids.

As far as dog sledding goes, a ride on the Riverboat Discovery will take you to Susan Butcher's (4 time Iditarod winner) place along the Chena River for a dog sledding demonstration and a look at native culture and heritage with Dixie Alexander... A friend of mine who has native bead work at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Whatever you decide, the name of the game is to have fun!

Taters

Archived