08 Tandem Crossing, Which Ship???

ocngypz

QE2 of course. Never miss a chance to cross on QE2. QV will be around for years, you could travel on one of her positioning cruises in the years to come. However, QE2 won't be around for ever and does very few TAs.

I have to agree however about the view, better view from QV. Who wants to spend s e v e n days on QE2 looking at QV across the waves rolling about (mind you, seven days on QE2 looking the other way would be bliss).

However, as was said about the Eiffel Tower by someone who couldn't stand it, but dined in it often because "it was the only place in Paris he couldn't see it". Maybe a good plan with QV, if you're on her, you don't have to look at her.

Are you thinking of this??? I sure am-Dennis says no. QE2 for me.

Sure am....

drop me a line.. same old screenname as above.. at AmericaOnLinedotcom

I dont know what email you are currently using. I'm also booked on 2Jan07.

The Queen Vic - for the rougher ride & the better view! Actually, I'm not sure the QE2 goes slowly enough to take s e v e n nights to get across.......

Peter

How about a slight change to the itinerary?

Instead of a tandem crossing, QE2 powers her way majestically across the Atlantic in 4 days (like she used to) which would give everyone two extra days in NY for those important things like shopping in Saks, lunching in glamorous places and stuff like that. Then on the 6th day everyone, passengers and crew alike, stands on deck in order to welcome the errr sedate arrival of QV and greet her with a hearty rendition of "Why Are We Waiting?" :D

How about a slight change to the itinerary?

Thats the fun part - the QE2 has the reserves to make diversions, to avoid bad weather - the Queen Vic, at 23 knots tops, has less.....so perhaps the QE2 will take the sunnier, calmer southerly route, while the Queen Vic slogs through the north........:eek:

Peter

Personally I wouldn't want to do either in January!!!

I guess those on QE2 would be concerned with the view out of the window as there is not much else to do!!! Don't think you should be willing QE2 to make a fast crossing, she won't be doing 30 knots again anytime soon - could shake herself to bits so I'm told and end up at Alang sooner rather than later !!!! Anyway, you all know very well that even QM2 only averages 24/25 knots on her crossings these days.

What about a choice from QV, QM2 or QE2 out of NYC - all Caribbean bound on Jan 13????

Ken

Personally I wouldn't want to do either in January!!!

Don't think you should be willing QE2 to make a fast crossing, she won't be doing 30 knots again anytime soon - could shake herself to bits so I'm told and end up at Alang sooner rather than later !!!!

What about a choice from QV, QM2 or QE2 out of NYC - all Caribbean bound on Jan 13????

Ken

Nah, you're wrong there.

Last year did a fast overnight from Sydney (Canada) to Boston and averaged 29-30 knots. It was fabulous! Afraid she's a long way from the breaker's yard yet, Ken...........

Nah, you're wrong there.

Last year did a fast overnight from Sydney (Canada) to Boston and averaged 29-30 knots. It was fabulous! Afraid she's a long way from the breaker's yard yet, Ken...........

Sorry - that should be Halifax (Nova Scotia) not Sydney. I din't think even QE2 could manage 600 odd nautical miles in an evening!

QE2! For all the reasons already said :) .

The "Eiffel Tower theory" is rather interesting, but unfortunately those aboard QV will have to look at her interiors and I fear that will be the least attractive view of all ;) !

My goodness, Doug, if the QV proposed decor is not appealing to you, what is?

Nah, you're wrong there.

A quick overnight along the American coast is a bit different to a 4 day Atlantic dash in January ..... don't you think????? She's gone the minute she gets any more difficult to fill ....... they are offering Queens Grill this summer for as little as £180 per night.

Ken

A quick overnight along the American coast is a bit different to a 4 day Atlantic dash in January ..... don't you think????? She's gone the minute she gets any more difficult to fill ....... they are offering Queens Grill this summer for as little as £180 per night.

Ken

Not surprised really. A ship like QE2 is only going to be a tempting proposition for most people during term time. The very thought of a cruise between late July to late August makes me shudder* And what about all the discounting offered by the other cruise lines at the moment? Does that mean they're also doomed? Anyway, I'll next be onboard your favourite ship in just under 3 weeks time for a cruise that's almost completely sold out. Don't believe me? Look at Cunard's online booking!

* I should explain that last time I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang I was rooting for the Childcatcher.........

Sorry - that should be Halifax (Nova Scotia) not Sydney. I din't think even QE2 could manage 600 odd nautical miles in an evening!

You beat me to it. I was going to taunt Ken with this one too! ;)

It was completely effortless, wasn't it?

He's my hero too....

So you're doing Land of the Midnight Sun too?

Yes I'll be there - really looking forward to it!

Interesting thing is my first ever cruise, 9 years ago, was a similar kind of itinerary and featured QE2's maiden call to Longyearben. I was having a clearout of some old papers recently and came across the Cunard brochure for 1997. The prices were roughly the same as today's! Mind you, tips and various other things were included in the fare back then.

Here's to a great time and many G+Ts!:rolleyes:

Tim.

she won't be doing 30 knots again anytime soon - could shake herself to bits so I'm told and end up at Alang sooner rather than later !!!!

Maybe not 30 knots, but she has done 27-28 knots quite recently and last I heard she was still in one piece ;) .

My goodness, Doug, if the QV proposed decor is not appealing to you, what is?

Of "recent" ships... COSTA CLASSICA/ROMANTICA/VICTORIA, the CENTURY-class, MILLENNIUM-class, STATENDAM-class, ROTTERDAM-class, AURORA, TROLLFJORD/MIDNATSOL, PONT-AVEN, MAERSK DUNQUERKE/DOVER/DELFT, etc.

If one is going to do "traditional" as QUEEN VICTORIA will be, it must be done very carefully; DEUTSCHLAND is the only ship that "makes it" IMHO. Or the Olympic Restaurant aboard MILLENNIUM but that's real ;) !

You beat me to it. I was going to taunt Ken with this one too! ;)

It was completely effortless, wasn't it?

Hey Guys .... I thought I was taunting you!!!! Got to keep you QE2 groupies grounded don't you know.

With your both your predilictions for QE2 I would have thought Truly Scrumptious was more your type of heroine!!!!

You got to laugh!!!!

Ken

Hey Guys .... I thought I was taunting you!!!! Got to keep you QE2 groupies grounded don't you know.

With your both your predilictions for QE2 I would have thought Truly Scrumptious was more your type of heroine!!!!

You got to laugh!!!!

Ken

Hmmm, I always thought Truly Srumptious was a trifle soppy.

Now I can't answer for any of the other QE2 fans on this website but my own personal fave character has always been the Baroness. I mean she lives in a vast, OTT kitsch palace, has hundreds of servents, is a total drama queen - and she's got no time for noisy kids. What a gal!

;)

I know Ken C, and a few others can't wait for QE2 to go. Will they feel the same about QM2 in 40 years time? QE2’s condition is only as good as Carnival keeps her. I think if they spent 50 million less on QM2 and put 50 million towards QE2 she would surpass people expectations. Really is botox as good as real facelift?

It will be interesting to see if QM2 sails 5 million plus miles in her career. With all the Caribbean sailings planned, seems to be a sign that Carnival really doesn't know where to place QM2. I still think she is a “Big Berta” for the niche luxury market and that QV will have a better following, like that of QE2.

I know Ken C, and a few others can't wait for QE2 to go. Will they feel the same about QM2 in 40 years time? QE2’s condition is only as good as Carnival keeps her. I think if they spent 50 million less on QM2 and put 50 million towards QE2 she would surpass people expectations. Really is botox as good as real facelift?

It will be interesting to see if QM2 sails 5 million plus miles in her career. With all the Caribbean sailings planned, seems to be a sign that Carnival really doesn't know where to place QM2. I still think she is a “Big Berta” for the niche luxury market and that QV will have a better following, like that of QE2.

I can (just) understand that some may want to avoid travelling on QE2. But why would anyone want to see her go?

Archived