08 Tandem Crossing, Which Ship???

ocngypz

I know Ken C, and a few others can't wait for QE2 to go. Will they feel the same about QM2 in 40 years time? ]

I CAN wait!!!! Unfortunately in 40 years time I probably won't be around!!

QE2’s condition is only as good as Carnival keeps her. I think if they spent 50 million less on QM2 and put 50 million towards QE2 she would surpass people expectations......

But they haven't and she doesn't .....

It will be interesting to see if QM2 sails 5 million plus miles in her career. With all the Caribbean sailings planned, seems to be a sign that Carnival really doesn't know where to place QM2. I still think she is a “Big Berta” for the niche luxury market and that QV will have a better following, like that of QE2

If you look back at QE2's history (and as we all know there is PLENTY of it) you would find Cunard having the same problems of finding the correct niche.

I can (just) understand that some may want to avoid travelling on QE2. But why would anyone want to see her go?

she used to be like a museum piece stopping Cunard from moving forward - they are now moving on, so for me getting rid of QE2 is neither here or there.

So that they can say, "I told you so - she really was an awful old tub" ;) !

I make no secret that I think she is an awful old tub now - they don't need to get rid of her for me to tell you so!

Great paperweights though!!!

I make no secret that I think she is an awful old tub now - they don't need to get rid of her for me to tell you so!

Great paperweights though!!!

She is an old tub - an elegant, stylish, historic old tub:) (And there are still a lot of people who love her).

When she does go I want one of those paperweights!

Of course not!

But really, I think you would like to see her go... Whether you would admit it or not ;) .

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!!

Doug .... there are now Cunard alternatives - I'm happy, I'm not spiteful...get over it!

Ken

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!!

The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

Now Ken, not a few days ago you were arguing (if I understood you correctly) that they should withdraw the QE2 to give her itineraries to the QM2, which has such an imaginative 2007/2008 coming up.....anyway, I'm looking forward to a nicely discounted Caribbean on the QM2 sometime in 2008.....even if she's not the best ship for the job.....

Peter

The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

Now Ken, not a few days ago you were arguing (if I understood you correctly) that they should withdraw the QE2 to give her itineraries to the QM2, which has such an imaginative 2007/2008 coming up.....anyway, I'm looking forward to a nicely discounted Caribbean on the QM2 sometime in 2008.....even if she's not the best ship for the job.....

Peter

Peter .... You and Doug mistake my dislike of all the tosh written about QE2 for some morbid obsession to see her scrapped with immediate effect - sorry, but sometimes I can't resist put downs for some of the more highflown claims made on this board. Now that QM2 and QV are obviously taking in some superb itineraries, I am not so much concerned about QE2's fate anymore. I even recently posted 'industry information' that I obtained about her lasting past SOLAS 2010 and sailing as long as she can make money.

They don't need to withdraw QE2 to free itineraries more suited to first class ships like QM2 or QV. All they need do is keep QE2 on bread and butter cruises out of Southampton where her shortcomings are less likely to register!!! If Cunard want to keep her going as a cash cow for the remaining period that they can fill her (like NCL did with Norway) then that's fine ..... if you like that sort of thing (I feel it's kind of demeaning). Me? I hope to travel on QM2 again in 2007 and will definately do QV sometime in 2008.

Perhaps QM2 itineraries for low season 2007/2008 have been downplayed to give the limelight to QV's first season (QE2 being unlikely to pose any media competition) - personally I think the Caribbean season out of NYC looks quite attractive. Come 2009/10 the story may be different.

Ken

Late May 2002, she did 29-30 knots the entire eastbound crossing to catch up an 11 hour late start. Only a bit of vibration and a little creaking. I can't imagine she's in much worse shape now than then.

Archived