December travel

My wife is celebrating one of the milestone birthdays NEXT year (2005) around Thanksgiving. I wanted to surprise her with a cruise but have never cruised in Early December. I think there are usually good deals in December before the Holidays but was looking for input.

thanks

mark

Hi,
We traveled on December 13 a couple of years ago, and the weather was fine. It isn't hot and the pools were fairly cold, but it wasn't coat weather.
We wore shorts most days and needed a light jacket sometimes at the ports. We had great weather and you really do get some great deals right before Christmas. Jan

Hmmm.....November and December are usually really great months to be in the Caribbean, because the humidity is down, but the temps are still nice and warm. Depends on where you're going. Bermuda will be cooler, but the Southern and Western Carib will be great.

We went from Boston to San Juan, and then San Juan to New Orleans last November, and it was fabulous. We are going on Celebrity this November 21st for 14 days from Jacksonville roundtrip on a Southern Carib route. Both were terrific prices (like around $70 pp per day).

We love cruising in Nov and Dec, and you can usually get good deals if you watch the online sites. I have a list of them if you want to start up their email alerts. Then as the time grows closer, you can start shopping seriously.

December might get pricier, but you never know. I remember getting emails last year for mid-December that were good deals, but we had already booked our back-to-back.

[email]pcurri@yahoo.com[/email]

We've cruised in early December before and we got a great price for our upcomming cruise this December on the Rhapsody. Our first balcony cabin! :D Early December if one of the least expensive times to cruise, too. Personally, I love the weather in the Caribbean in December! Not too hot but still warm enough to enjoy the beaches and the pools. Also, like the previous poster said, we found some great deals while shopping in the ports. :) And IF children are an issue, this time of year you don't see very many on cruises.

We have cruised the first week of December for the past 2 years (NCL Majesty-Western Carib and Dawn Princess-Southern Carib) and are booked again this year. The temperatures were fine. We encountered some rough seas the first time. That was also our first cruise and didn't deter us from booking another as soon as we could. (S/S Norway March 2003 - 3 weeks before her demise :( )

DW's birthday falls in that week. She now thinks that it is constitutionally guaranteed that she is on a cruise on her birthday. :eek:

Be aware that because of the "iffy" weather, you may not get the exact itinerary you signed up for. As long as that wouldn't get your boxers in a bunch, it's a great time to travel. (Yep, rates are generally lower.)

I don't know about cruising but for the last several years we've vacationed in Southern Florida and LOVE the weather. While it's cold in the midwest, it's T-shirts and shorts while we're in Florida. This year we're combining one week in Florida and one week on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in November between the Holiday's.

We have done the last 7 cruises, #8 coming this Dec., anywhere from December 6 - 23rd. Last year we did the Thanksgiving cruise. We have always gotten the best fares at those times and have been able to take longer cruises and back to back cruises because of that. We have found the weather to be very warm in the Caribbean year round and only had a slight cold snap while in Key West and Nassau a couple years ago. I would say to head for the Eastern or Western Caribbean islands and not the Bahamas if you want to get the best temperatures.

We have cruised 3 times in early December (4th time coming up on Rhapsody). We have done Western and Southern Caribbean. It was great. When we went in the summer to the Eastern Caribbean, we liked to die in the humidity on deck. In December, the weather was gorgeous. We got a few rainy days now and then, but not many. Us desert rats don't like that darn humidity, so December is the ONLY time we will cruise now. Plus, the rates are the best!

Thanks for your opinions. Our previous cruises were New Years and Valentines week. Paid the premium on both but it was welllll worth it!

Since her birthday is on Thanksgiving, I thought I would surprise her then (next year of course). I am not sure how she would react to having less than 2 weeks to prepare for a cruise, but I think she would love it. This would also be the first time we would have our 7rd old on a cruise as well, that is why I am looking for the cheapest cruise at that time. I will definetely pay attention to cruise prices this fall and see what happens
I can't remember if C&A have coupons for early december dates.

thanks again

We leave on the AOS on Nov 28th (Sunday after Thanksgiving). Not only did we get a great price (booked while on the Explorer last year ,same week) we also received a $150. coupon in the C&A magazine and $100. on board credit for this cruise.

Cindy ;)

Archived