Can someone help me identify these photos of QM2?

QM2 Cruiser

I hope you don't mind me starting a new thread, but these photos really have me perplexed. I do not recall seeing these areas while aboard. Maybe somone can help me identify them. The links to the photos are below. Thank you everyone. :)

Photo 1 (relaxing hallway): http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/gallery/1290737/10

Photo 2 (deck): http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/gallery/1290737/6/60741181

Photo 3 (meeting room): http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/gallery/1290737/9/60743415

Also: these two photos hint at access to the bow of the ship for passengers. Does anyone know anything about this?

4357_obsignwide.jpg

4356_permitsgncu.jpg

Thank you in advance for your input! I hope I am not making anyone angry by posting a new thread. Happy Sailing!

I think the first one, the statuette, is in a niche just outside the planetarium.

The next one looks like it could be the outdoor observation area on deck 11 in front of the Atlantic card room. It's closed off on occasion due to inclement weather, hence the "No Entry" sign.

Isn't the last picture link the Board Room, located off the Commodore Club, on the opposite side to Churchill's cigar bar on deck 9?

See QM2 deck plans: http://www.cunard.com/QM2/default.asp?Active=onboard#

The picture with the chap's elbow in it is a crew only area. Note the spare propeller blade on the right hand side of it.

The picture with the chap's elbow in it is a crew only area. Note the spare propeller blade on the right hand side of it.

This area is a passenger area - but as it is at the bow it may be closed off if the weather is bad.

Peter

Hi

There are 5 pictures (3 in links, 2 in your post)

They are, I believe

1. Deck 7 forward. The Starboard "Rest Area", part of the Canyon Ranch Spa.

2. I M H O this is not QM2 (ducks down before I get flamed) (see below).

3. Deck 7 forward. The reception area in the Canyon Ranch Spa.

4. Deck 7 forward port side. The forward facing open observation area at the foot of the superstructure. This is accessed from the wrap around promenade by two doors that lead off the "tunnel" in the forward part of the prom where it crosses in front of the Gym and Spa at the lowest level of the superstructure.

5. This could be anywhere on any ship!

2. I cannot remember and cannot find in either photos I've taken, or on any deck plans, an area that looks like this on QM2. Anyone any ideas? Who knows this ship. Please, if I am wrong and this IS QM2, be nice in correcting me.

Hope this helps

I cannot remember and cannot find in either photos I've taken, or on any deck plans, an area that looks like this on QM2. Anyone any ideas? Who knows this ship. Please, if I am wrong and this IS QM2, be nice in correcting me.

Pepper - I think you are correct as:

1. I too do not remember any forward deck like this on the QM2, and
  2. The QM2 has not yet been to San Francisco - and that looks a lot like the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

Peter

Pepper - I think you are correct as:

1. I too do not remember any forward deck like this on the QM2, and
  2. The QM2 has not yet been to San Francisco - and that looks a lot like the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

Peter

Peter, thanks for that, I was beginning to doubt myself! I nearly said Golden Gate as well but that bridge has cross members on the towers that go straight across I believe. This is great! An unknown ship under an unknown bridge!

Peter, thanks for that, I was beginning to doubt myself! I nearly said Golden Gate as well but that bridge has cross members on the towers that go straight across I believe. This is great! An unknown ship under an unknown bridge!

Quite right - its not the Golden Gate....so as you say, two mysteries in one! Its definitely not the QM2 as the only open upper deck has the bridge immediately above it and windows that are spaced apart - not close together as on this ship.

Peter

Spookier and spookier!

You can see from this shot:

that the pic is not of QM2. Also note what appears to be a comapass on the port side, yet it's not a bridge deck as there are no windscreen wipes

two mysteries in one!

One mystery solved - its the bridge across the Tagus in Lisbon - called the Ponte Salazar when I first sailed under it on the SS Uganda - but I very much doubt its called that now - (just looked it up - its the Ponte 25 April, celebrating the 1974 revolution) if you look closely you can see the figure of Christ in the background - apparantly standing on the bridge - but below that is his plinth.

Peter

One mystery solved - its the bridge across the Tagus in Lisbon - called the Ponte Salazar when I first sailed under it on the SS Uganda - but I very much doubt its called that now - (just looked it up - its the Ponte 25 April, celebrating the 1974 revolution) if you look closely you can see the figure of Christ in the background - apparantly standing on the bridge - but below that is his plinth.

Peter

Yes Peter, I can see the statue now you've said what it is. I've been trying to find that ship in photographs, no luck yet.

Peter

Peter,

Forgot to say "well done" on clearing up the location of the bridge. The ship has me defeated so far. Worked out loads of ships it isn't! I'll keep looking.

(PS. Was going to Southampton today but received news of the death (at 54) of a close mate. So after leaving home I turned back as I didn't feel like having fun today. Such a shock, excuse me going off topic for a moment, hence I'm back on here).

Wow! Thanks everyone for your continuing help. It seems I can find new areas onboard every time I sail. Concerning the two photos about the bow access, I know they are taken at the deck 7 observation deck outside the enclosed portion of promenade, but I was wondering if the bow section forward of that can be accessed by passengers. It doesn't seem feasible, but I ran accross those two photos and this caption (which I left out before): A ladder to the bow area bears an encouraging sign for the ship explorer. I can't wait until they remove the inconvenience of not being able to clamber over the whaleback!

I also found this photo of someone's venture into crew quarters. Not that I would go there or anything...:rolleyes: But does anyone know how to get there? It must have a great view of the quadruple pod, i mean tri pod wake

4350_cruonly.jpg

My one foray into forbidden territory: deck space aft for the crew.

I hope this isn't too much at one time. Can the spa relaxation hallway be used by passengers without spa appointments? It seems like an ideal spot to watch the world go by - or the people on the promenade go by - but in any case would be interestring to try out.

PS - Pepper, I am very sorry about your loss.

I was wondering if the bow section forward of that can be accessed by passengers. It doesn't seem feasible, but I ran accross this caption A ladder to the bow area bears an encouraging sign for the ship explorer. I can't wait until they remove the inconvenience of not being able to clamber over the whaleback!

PS - Pepper, I am very sorry about your loss.

Peter and QM2 Cruiser

Thank you both for your thoughts, I've known the guy almost since school days (a few years ago now!), bit of a shock (as I said, he was 54). Cause of death was a heart attack. This afternoon I've been to see his wife and sister, there is nothing one can say to them, is there?

Peter, I'm convinced, having looked at several pictures, that the ship is Rotterdam. It (just) could be Volendam or Zaandam but the pictures that I've looked at seem to have a different arrangments of windows. So, I'm going for Rotterdam. It's right above the bridge (did they alter that area recently? By adding large picture windows? I ask because there seem to be alterations in some pictures). Why this picture should end up in the middle of QM2 pictures I'm not sure. And, as you can see on the site that the picture was taken from, there are several HAL ships featured but NOT Rotterdam! However I was able to dismiss (IMHO) the ships that are featured as they had different window arrangements.

QM2 Cruiser, The view you show in your last post is of course the stern area of deck 5. In order to get this picture I can only suppose that either some money changed hands or someone took a great risk (there are CCTV cameras everywhere). It could, of course, have been taken by a member of the crew (using a passengers camera?). As for access onto and forward of the whaleback, the only time I've seen any more than one or two people out there was during the "meeting of the Queens" in Long Beach (see the famous photo with QM in the foreground, the "spruce goose" dome and QM2 in the background). There is no way for me to know if they were all crew and/or invited passengers but there sure are a lot of them out there! I cannot ever see a time when passengers would be allowed to go further forward than at present.

Hope this helps

Peter

I'm going for Rotterdam. It's right above the bridge (did they alter that area recently? By adding large picture windows? I ask because there seem to be alterations in some pictures).

Peter, I've done some more looking at photos and think that the pictures I saw with the big picture windows above the bridge are in fact of Rotterdam's sister Amsterdam but are labelled Rotterdam (They are too small to read the name on the ship) unless Rotterdam has been altered. I know almost nothing about HAL's ships.

Yes, that helps, thank you Pepper. While we are discussing photos, I have one more question, this one reguarding the refit that QM2 had a few months ago. I read that carpeting onboard has been replaced and the atrium furniture is different. For anyone who has sailed since the refit, does the Grand Lobby look substantially different, or is the new furniture and carpet the same as before? I do remember that the carpet in the lift lobbies was water spotted and discolored, and I assume this was replaced as well. After a very disappointing experience on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal last month, I am hoping the ship will not turn into "Princess Mary". I have read the other posts about the refit, but I never found out if the new stuff is the same or different. Also reguarding the atrium, I read that the skylights have been tiled over, I hope this doesn't look too bad. Thanks!

Hi, all,

This is my first time on since arriving in Florida, so I have a lot to catch up on and I won't be able to do much. I'm exhausted, it's midnight. Just went out for a lovely dinner (I had grouper) with my little sister, my former step-mother, and her boyfriend- It was weird being in the hospital room with Dad and his wife, and his ex-wife walked in and his eyes lit up! (While she didn't raise me, I love her to death. She was like a mother and a sister to me.) BTW, My father is doing okay- still infection in the blood, sleeps a lot, blood sugar is down (and when you have an infection, your sugar goes up) BP good, O2 levels good (low oxygen a bad sign in this particular infection), no fever. All good signs. Had physical therapy yesterday and today- walked a few steps with a walker. No telling what will happen. This thing could come back with a vengeance, but for now, I feel fairly confident of his survival. I'm not sure what lies in the future. He is still in and out, and gets confused easily, but otherwise, seems strong.

But Pepper, The sudden loss of your mate;This is devastating. I know that when someone is older, you can accept at least, that they've lived a good long life and it was time. But it is so shocking and so unreal when we lose someone that young. (Not to mention it gets us all thinking of our own mortality) You have my deepest sympathies. Often will be the time in the coming weeks and months that you will wake up, shake your head, and say, "But I just saw him (name date and time) He was so alive!" It is normal. It will lessen with time, then pop up again at the odd unexpected moment. Of course, my heart goes out to you now. It is a raw shock and pain. But six weeks from now when it seems others have moved on and you feel you're not yet there, please know that I am here for you. It is those times that are the hardest. Others may think it odd to still be greieving at that stage. That is when it hurts the most. After all of the camraderie of losing a shared friend and the laughing and sharing of incidents past have gone by and you are alone with your thoughts, your pain, your fears. I'm here now, and I'll be there then.

Karie,

Who understands and send most warm feelings your way. Feel free to b/c . me. I would love to hear talesvof your friend. I may not get to read them til I get home, as I am on a hotel wireless system. But rest assured, I would love to hear your rememberences of this special friend.

P.S. Pic up front by spare prop blades. I have some shots from up there. Neat area! Haven't looked at the rest yet.

Karie

Lovely to hear from you. Very encouraging news about your father, I am so very pleased for you. I most sincerly hope that things continue to improve for him and that there are no setbacks. Not a day goes by without you being in my (and I'm certain, others) thoughts. Please continue to keep us informed.

Thank you for your very kind message to me. I am not as good at writing as you and so cannot put into words my deepest gratitude to you for your supportive, compassionate and understanding post. So please accept a simple, but heartfelt Thank You.

Still hasn't sunk in. As you say, I've already done the "saw him then" "looked OK". As we did so much together (not all involving drinking!) there will be a hole and will take some time to adjust. He was so universally liked and had so many friends that I think his family are in for a surprise when they see the numbers that will appear at the funeral.

Thank you also for the offer to message you, again you show what a great person you are.

The "prop farm" or "sculpture park" is a great place. Not something I've seen elsewhere on a passenger ship (and now others will add a list of those ships that this idea was pinched from). I can see why it has to be closed on occasions, you feel very close to the elements out there!

As you can see from the pictures at the start of this thread, there was a mystery photo, I think it's solved now but I am willing to admit I'm wrong about the ship in question. I'm sure Peter is right about the bridge. Have you cruised on Rotterdam?

Again my deepest thanks Karie and very best wishes.

Peter

Rotterdam?

Pepper,

The photo could be ROTTERDAM, AMSTERDAM, VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM. They are all indentical in the area... or to be correct... they 'were' identical. Each of the ships is being upgraded and the sloping windows looking to fitness area have been replaced with a rather ugly structure extending out to the windbreak.

A pair of gyro compass repeaters are located on this deck... port and starboard in the event someone needs to get a clear view ahead and to the side for navigational purposes..... the wheelhouse on these ships is enclosed.

Stephen

Archived