Can someone help me identify these photos of QM2?

QM2 Cruiser

Karie....good wishes for your Dad's improvement. Just having you around has to boost his spirits and that's such a big part of recuperation. I'll hold good thoughts for you and him.

Pepper...my sympathies on your loss. Friends are special people and the loss of one leaves a great emptiness in the heart. Especially to leave so suddenly at such a young age is devastating for all. And you are right...there are no words to ease the pain. Time may blunt it but the loss will always be there.

I'm enjoying so much this thread as I wait for my turn on QM2. I've looked at so many people's pictures that I'll either know the ship inside and out when I get there or be monumentally confused and constantly lost!! What a shame one can't access the bow. Some of my fondest crossing memories were from watching the ocean from the bow of my favorite old liner. I will never forget standing there for a good part of the sail up Oslofjord to Oslo. I was 19 on that trip...my hair was a windblown mess when I met my family ashore but I sure had a big smile on my face! Cheers, Penny

Pepper...my sympathies on your loss. Friends are special people and the loss of one leaves a great emptiness in the heart. Especially to leave so suddenly at such a young age is devastating for all. And you are right...there are no words to ease the pain. Time may blunt it but the loss will always be there.

Thank you, It's really good of you to take the time to write such nice words. There are some great people here, and I will not forget such kindness.

Pepper,

The photo could be ROTTERDAM, AMSTERDAM, VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM. They are all indentical in the area... or to be correct... they 'were' identical. Each of the ships is being upgraded and the sloping windows looking to fitness area have been replaced with a rather ugly structure extending out to the windbreak.

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks for this Information, I originally was going to put the four ships you mention, but edited my post down to Rotterdam only. As you say, they are all very similar (they seem to differ at the stern). As I said, I know very little about HAL ships but I looked at photos of the four ship's window arrangements above the bridge. Volendam and Zaandam seemed to have windows or glass screens on Lido Deck and Sports Deck that looked very different to Rotterdam and Amsterdam. The problem is that I have no idea when the mystery photo (or the pictures I looked at) were taken. I also don't know what work has been done to all four ships or when! So I cannot be certain which ship it is, however my guess (and that is all it is) is Rotterdam. But you (and others) may well know better than me as to what work has been done to what ship and when.

I am glad you also thought that the new picture windows (above the bridge) in the Ocean Spa Gym area are ugly! I think it spoils the whole balance of the front of the superstructure. I think that, when you are adding (or changing) decks above the Bridge, you have to be very careful. Ships that are built with decks here usually take care to step these decks back so as to not present a wall or to overpower the bridge. The same should be done when adding decks. You can, I'm certain, think of some good examples where this has been done to great affect. However I can only think of bad examples, Norway and Saga Rose for example.

Very best wishes

Picture #2 could be a couple different HAL ships - it all depends on what year the photo was taken. The windows to the immediate left would be the gym, and above that, the crow's nest. All ships have had these windows replaced with larger floor-to-ceiling windows that extend out to where the photographer would have been standing.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Amsterdam, probably on a repo cruise to Alaska last year. It's a sister to Rotterdam, but Rotterdam doesn't make it to the West Coast hardly ever.

Hope that helps - I always enjoy reading the Cunard boards.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Amsterdam, probably on a repo cruise to Alaska last year. It's a sister to Rotterdam, but Rotterdam doesn't make it to the West Coast hardly ever. Hope that helps - I always enjoy reading the Cunard boards.

Atomica - welcome to Cunard - the location is Lisbon, Europe - I got 'Golden Gate' wrong.....does that give us any other clues?

Peter

Atomica - welcome to Cunard - the location is Lisbon, Europe - I got 'Golden Gate' wrong.....does that give us any other clues?

Peter

Thanks very much! Hmmm...if it's Lisbon, it's most likely the Rotterdam, with the Amsterdam as a possibility. It's hard to tell. Both had their gyms expanded in the last year or so, so the picture is most likely from 2004 or earlier... Volendam and Zaandam are definately out though. They seem to stick to the Caribbean & the Pacific Coast...

Lisbon sure looks a lot like San Francisco - when I saw the pic I immediately thought it was the Golden Gate too.

I have confirmation that the mystery ship is in fact the Rotterdam. I was looking at the rest of the photos on the same website and came across this photo of the promenade deck. http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/gallery/1290737/15/60748044 It is not the promenade of the QM2, and if you read the name on the lifeboat it says Rotterdam. Congrats to Pepper and Atomica - you really know your ships!

Have you cruised on Rotterdam?

First, thank you all for your continuing kind wishes. Some improvement with Dad today, but not out of the woods yet. We had a long talk (Marc says I "lecture" him- I am merely stren in telling him what he has to do to get well, even though it is onerous- and how he made me stand on my own two feet at times when I wanted to curl up in a fetal ball and break down.) I also told him how there were times that his believing in me helped me to survive the blows of life and reality, and I never could have made it to where I am, and faced the uncertain future in my job without the ethical values he taught me, in word and in deed, and that all I ever wanted was for him to be proud of me, so I COULDN'T let him down! He told me he IS proud of me. I told him how much that means to me. Hopefully, he will take my words to heart, and know that I still need him, even though I am almost 52 and he will turn 80 two weeks after I turn 52! And that he HAS to fight the good fight, so to speak!

As for Rotterdam,

No I have not. Hoever, I have sailed Volendam, Zuiderdam twice, and Westerdam (with my Dad on the last one, I might add!) And yes, those look very much like the Zuider/Westerdam front exercise/gym windows as you walk around the promenade. Although I am not nearly as good with details as y'all are! But they sure do looke familiar!

Karie,

who wishes she had the eye for detail and history that some of y'all have!

I have confirmation that the mystery ship is in fact the Rotterdam. I was looking at the rest of the photos on the same website and came across this photo of the promenade deck. http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/gallery/1290737/15/60748044 It is not the promenade of the QM2, and if you read the name on the lifeboat it says Rotterdam. Congrats to Pepper and Atomica - you really know your ships!

What detective work!

Thanks QM2 Cruiser, In my case it was a lucky guess.

I hate to deepen the mystery here - but the promenade deck photo is definately of a Vista-class ship (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam). Only these four have the glass elevator shaft (visible about halfway down the deck), and they are the only HAL ships to feature cabins located behind the lifeboats (a partial cabin window is visible just to the left of the lifeboat). The word Rotterdam on the lifeboats is probably the port of registry. Though I have no doubt that QM2 Cruiser is right; it probably is the Rotterdam in the first photo. Maybe the original album was created just to throw us all off!

What can I say, I have a thing for ships - they're fascinating ;)

QM2 Cruiser,

Correct... it isn't on board QM2 but the boat deck photo is most definitely NOT of the ROTTERDAM!!!!!!! ;)

In fact it is the boat deck of one of the VISTA class ships, NOORDAM, WESTERDAM, OOSTERDAM or ZUIDERDAM.

HAL ships are registered in Rotterdam, hence the name ROTTERDAM appears on the sterns of all the lifeboats and tenders.

Back to the drawing board! :)

Stephen

I hate to deepen the mystery here - but the promenade deck photo is definately of a Vista-class ship (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam). Only these four have the glass elevator shaft (visible about halfway down the deck), and they are the only HAL ships to feature cabins located behind the lifeboats (a partial cabin window is visible just to the left of the lifeboat). The word Rotterdam on the lifeboats is probably the port of registry. Though I have no doubt that QM2 Cruiser is right; it probably is the Rotterdam in the first photo. Maybe the original album was created just to throw us all off!

Aaron,

I should have read on before replying to an earlier post.

Well spotted and yes... ships are fascinating!

Stephen

Oooh, ooh, ooh! You mean I actually recognized something!~

Cool!

Karie, who is constantly amazed at the level of knowledge, expertise and powers of observation of this group!

Archived