Is Royal Caribbean the best ?

I know this is a Royal caribbean board and that answers will be subjective however, I just had an interesting conversation with an A.A. Tours San Juan rep (the Caribbean division of Royal Caribbean) re the $99.00 discount. She basically told me that that division of Royal Caribbean is NOT honouring the $99.00 discount, to which I replied that I can cancel, book direct with Royal Caribbean and get the $99.00 discount.

To summarise the rest of the conversation, she wasn't to enthusiastic to tht suggestion, and when I was trying to get some more information on the two differing policies she gave me some attitude.To which I responded that I did not HAVE to cruise with Royal Caribbean, I chose to and her response was that "well we are THE best".

Can someone with more cruising exprience verify if Royal Caribbean really is THE best and if is this worth the headache of trying to get a clear answer on a promotion that is being blatantly advertised and yet no one rep has a straight answer?

My last cruise with Royal Caribbean ended on a sour note, but I was willing to give them a second try until now! I am pretty upset, so if Royal Caribben is "the best" then I might have to rethink the entire idea of a cruise because their customer service sucks!

RCL is not the best. It is a mass produced product that is high quality and a good value. The smaller lines that are all inclusive are a higher end experience but also charge a lot more. It depends on what kind of experience you are looking for. I have sailed with RCL many many times and will continue to sail with them so I obviously like what they have to offer. I also like Princess and Celebrity. My Celebrity sailing was higher end then RCL but i was on their smallest ship the Xpedition. I think RCL is head and shoulder above carnival but some people really like Carnival.

What is the "best" is really subjective. It depends on a person's likes/dislikes. Some are better as far as itenerary. I like Princess because of the fresh water pools. I like HAL for a low-key relaxing cruise without all the hoopla. I like Carnival as it's a great value. NCL - only been on the Norway so can't say much about freestyle but I bet I would like it. I like RCCL as I've been cruising with them for 17 years. I rotate cruiselines anymore though. The best for me are the ones I've never been on - the expedition type ones with lectures. I would love to do a world tour. That would be the ultimate cruise experience in my book. :)

I just had an interesting conversation with an A.A. Tours San Juan rep (the Caribbean division of Royal Caribbean) re the $99.00 discount. She basically told me that that division of Royal Caribbean is NOT honouring the $99.00 discount, to which I replied that I can cancel, book direct with Royal Caribbean and get the $99.00 discount.

Do you think they are actually a "division" of RCL? Could they possibly be a travel agent that specializes in RCL cruises? I know there are travel agents that are not honoring the $99 special... If you aren't already booked with them, I would definitely book directly with RCL... The fact that they are "not honoring" the $99 special would make me wonder how they would handle price drops if they were to happen. Plus, if they are already giving you attitude and they haven't made the sale yet, how are they going to treat you after the sale?? :rolleyes:

Do you think they are actually a "division" of RCL? Could they possibly be a travel agent that specializes in RCL cruises? I know there are travel agents that are not honoring the $99 special... If you aren't already booked with them, I would definitely book directly with RCL... The fact that they are "not honoring" the $99 special would make me wonder how they would handle price drops if they were to happen. Plus, if they are already giving you attitude and they haven't made the sale yet, how are they going to treat you after the sale?? :rolleyes:

elleluv, I think you are right. They are a travel agency that handles all bookings for the Caribbean, even my travel agent has to go through them. I am thinking of canceling,booking with a royal caribbean vacation planner and maybe transfering back to my travel agent afterwards.I can't believe that there are TA's who are not honouring the special!:mad:

From my limited cruise experience I find each cruise line has it's pluses and minuses. I say try as many as you can and decide which line you like best. Read some of the other boards on this web site and you'll see many different complaints for each of the cruise lines. If I didn't like Royal I wouldn't have three cruises booked with them at the moment.

kewlguy I understand what you are saying, this is another reason why some people might get turned off cruising.It is so much easier to book a hotel and show up,especially when you don't have to relenquish control to tour operators or travel agents. I book all my hotels direct and never have a problem!

I'm finished dealing with travel agents. I like having control over my reservation. I have heard customer service horror stories for every cruise line. Don't give up on Royal because of one rude customer service person. :)

According to Conde' Nast, I believe Crystal Cruises are the best. Of course, you'll pay 3 times what a RCCL cruise cost. So for me, the value of a RCCL cruise, particularly on the Voyager-class ships, can't be beat. The activities and entertainment are endless.

Hi Syndyj !!!

I just want to let you know that I have been dealing with the travel agents that the groups deal with-Cruisecritics and must say they have given me great service. I once had an agent who was nasty and the next cruise she lost my business. My experience on Royal Caribbean have been great not only because of the cruiseline but because of the wonderful friends that I have made through cruisecritics.

When you go to rebook are you still taking Adventure of the Seas? Please let me know.

David............................................:cool:

Hi David,

it's the Freedom of the Seas for 2007 that I have booked presently.My travel agent has been excellent, it's A.A. Tours that have been less than easy to deal with. I am wondering if this $99.00 discount is even worth the hassle of canceling and re-booking. :confused: Thing is I really want to sail on the Freedom, even though I toyed with the idea of a transatlantic, other than that I would not even be doing a cruise in 2007.

ETA:Carol, apparently for the Caribbean all Royal Caribbean bookings are handle through A.A. Tours in Puerto Rico. Even if I book through a local travel agent she/he still has to deal with them, even though mine wished she did not have to.I don't know how the system works, but I think that their are different agents that handle the U.K., the Caribbean etc. So, even though the 99.00 special is being advertised, A.A. Tours is saying that they are not honouring it for any bookings made by travel agents in this region!

Syndyj~

My wife and I will be doing the Freedom of the Seas on October 14th 2007. We are waiting for pricing from a fellow cruiser that we know that told us he knows of a group in which we will be able to book from and get a great deal.

David...............................:cool:

Syndyj~

My wife and I will be doing the Freedom of the Seas on October 14th 2007. We are waiting for pricing from a fellow cruiser that we know that told us he knows of a group in which we will be able to book from and get a great deal.

David...............................:cool:

Hey! I was looking at that date since October 28th ws sold out, I decided on November 25th because it was the only other date within the period I was looking at! Maybe I should cancel and book with your group!;)

Hey! I was looking at that date since October 28th ws sold out, I decided on November 25th because it was the only other date within the period I was looking at! Maybe I should cancel and book with your group!;)

If you like...you can send me your email address and when I get the info I can email it to you. OK?

David.....................................:cool:

I'm finished dealing with travel agents. I like having control over my reservation. I have heard customer service horror stories for every cruise line. Don't give up on Royal because of one rude customer service person. :)

I don't understand how much control you are giving up by not using a travel agent. If you have a good travel agent, he or she will follow your directions, will get you the same price reductions and other benefits that you might be eligible for, and will deal with some of those rude customer service persons you refer to. They will also know who, further up the chain, to contact should the customer service representative not have the answer to your question or problem. The TA works for you, while the RCI rep works for?

If you realize that your own time has a value, you may also come to understand that a lot of the grunt work involved in booking your cruise is done more productively by using a knowledgeable TA and freeing you to do things which are more productive.

I think in this case not using a travel agent is beneficial since the major trvel agent for my area is A.A. Tours.My local travel agent is excellent by the way, she is cancelling my reservation so I can book direct with Royal Caribbean and get the dsicount then I will transfer the booking back to her.

RCL is not the best. It is a mass produced product that is high quality and a good value. The smaller lines that are all inclusive are a higher end experience but also charge a lot more. It depends on what kind of experience you are looking for. I have sailed with RCL many many times and will continue to sail with them so I obviously like what they have to offer. I also like Princess and Celebrity. My Celebrity sailing was higher end then RCL but i was on their smallest ship the Xpedition. I think RCL is head and shoulder above carnival but some people really like Carnival.

I agree with her post!

I have only cruised four times. Carnival (1983), HAL (1999), NCL (2004) and RCI (2004). SO I don't claim to be an expert, but the thing that bothers me most about all the cruise lines is their itinerary clause:

"In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or for any other reason whatsoever, we may, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or port of call, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, deviation or substitution. We shall not be responsible for any failure to adhere to the arrival and departure times published in this website for any of its ports of call."

I can't believe I am the only traveler that this bothers. I read one post where the lady booked a Caribbean Cruise and because of three hurricanes, ended up doing the New England/Canada cruise. When I book a cruise, it's because I want to go to that particular itinerary. That the cruise line can alter that itinerary "for any reason whatsoever" and "shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to the guests" just doesn't sit right with me. I'm paying for that cruise, that itinerary, not just a week on the ship going somewhere?

Yet all the cruise lines have this similar clause. Is it because they know they cannot fulfill a contract to take you where they say they are going to? Or are people just so sheeplike that they will do anything, to be on a cruise ship going somewhere, no matter where?

At the cost you pay to cruise, it would sure seem to me more people would be up in arms over this issue. As the passengers on the Celebrity Summit are right now.:eek:

Gordon,

I like RCCL a lot..... heck, I'm a Diamond member & just sailed on Brilliance last month! But, RCCL is more of a mass-market cruise line now and not the "cadillac of cruising", like it was back in the 80's......But it's still extremely popular & a fun time!

Archived