Penthouse & Shore Excursions Sun to Alaska

kokosmama

I am booked on the Sun to Alaska in an AD Penthouse. I cannot find a layout or photos online at all. Is anyone familiar with the layout? AD & AC apparently are different layouts. I really can't believe NCL would offer rooms they do not even display on their site! We are on the front of the ship. Will we be able to utilize the balcony or will it be too cold and windy? Has anyone done the dog sledding excursion or bear watching. These are expensive side trips and I would like some kind of recommendation they are worth the money. By the way, is tipping diferent in a Penthouse? Thanks for any help!

Last year we were booked for the dog sleding but it was cancelled due to bad weather, we were very dissapointed. We did do the bear watching. It is a very long boat ride during which we saw quite a few whales close up. When you reach the area where the bears are the boat goes very slowly and you are given binnoculars to try and spot them. It took about 30mins before we spotted a mother and her three cubs. We watched them for about 15mins before the mother bear gave a roar. Her three cubs ran to her and they all dissapeared into the forest. We enjoyed the bear sighting but the journey there and back was about 2 hours each way. Our favorite trip was wilderness fishing and dining which I would highly reccomend.

We were in a penthouse on deck 10 aft on the Sky to AK in 2002. We were able to enjoy our deck on several occasions - but it was also nice to have the huge doors and windows to sit inside and enjoy the view. On the front of the ship you will always have a 20 MPH wind in your face while the ship is moving. On the aft penthouses, you put up with prop noise and vibrations when the side thrusters are used. I now like to be on deck 8 or 9 mid ship or forward and would probably consider a mini suite.

The penthouse guests have their own butlers and concierge. You will be given the traditional envelopes on the last night for tips for these folks. We ate breakfast in the room every day and my wife asked to meet with the ships medical staff - she is a nurse and was curious about how things were handled on the ship. You could also arrange for special treatment, tours, etc. in any of the ports. We also had a special reception with the captain and officers as well as a tour of the galley. We tipped accordingly to the services rendered - therefore we tipped the morning butler more than the night butler and concierge. If you need cash, you can take an advance from your ship account - you might also be able to simply charge the tips to it.

Archived