Best Cruising Tips for Virgin Cruiser?

There is no need to prepack tips in envelopes now. You can charge the tips to your cruise card, and then you receive a voucher to place in the envelope. Just less cash to worry about, plus you then can earn points on your charge card.

We were just off Royal Caribbean, so Catherine will be able to charge her tips on the Mariner. They will place a form to fill out in your stateroom, and you just bring it down to the purser. They figure suggested amount for you, and of course you could always add more to the envelope. It comes to $68.50 per person, a suite is slightly more. On NCL, all of the tips are charged to your account, unless you specifically tell them not to.

I'm earning my nickname "Karenoid" here,but if Chops charges $20 for gratuitites, yet the server only gets $1.95 of it- how can I be sure that my tips are 100% going to the right people, not the cruiseline? I'm leary of tipping on my seapass now. I am going to have envelopes made up ahead of time........
Karenoid

I just got back from shopping. I picked up brightly colored luggage tags, dramamine, and a shoe organizer for the back of the door. All of these items were at the suggestion of former cruisers...........THANKS!! and I am sure walmart will thank you as well!LOL:p So much more to buy.....soda, water, waterproof lanyard, masking tape, post it notes, film, waterproof disposable....and the list goes on and on!:D

I spoke to my TA after booking and was told that RCCL occasionally calls them with free upgrades and asks if any of their clients would be interested. I told TA that I would definitely be interested in an upgrade if available. However, if not upgraded between now and cruise date, I'll definitely ask at embarkation.

[quote name='mconthehighseas']Laedw - there is a "pier coordinator"'s desk at embarkation, and that is where I've been told at another thread upgrades are handled. But if you have any questions that day, ask the people in the waiting area. You can also ask your TA to get you info in advance, provided you didn't go with a no-service online agency.[/QUOTE]

If you have black luggage, I suggest that you do more than get the large luggage tags. I think the most shocking thing for the first time cruiser is when it is time to pick up your luggage to leave, and you go to the huge area with thousands of black suitcases lined up in neat little rows. :eek: They are grouped in sections, but none of your suitcases are next to each other. You need to go up and down the rows, trying to find yours. Make your luggage stick out like a sore thumb. . .who cares if it looks ugly. . .at least you will be able to find your suitcases.;)

That's funny, because we bought new luggage for our Hawaiian honeymoon last year, and when I shopped for it, we used that EXACT method of thinking....so that our luggage would STAND OUT in baggage claim. So I have LEOPARD PRINT and Jeff has RED luggage. Never had ONE problem in finding them (although we have those BIG NEON GREEN luggage tags too, so I'm sure that helps). We saw first-hand just HOW many people have either Black or Teal Green bags.....we were able to spot our bags, grab em' and GO.

• 1 month later...
[color=black]I cannot agree more with the suggestions on identifying your luggage. Take some colored ribbons and tie it the handles.[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]The biggest shock I had during our first cruise was after getting off the ship, going into a MULTI football field sized room, with rows and rows of luggage.[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]One other tip, bring binoculars.[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]Have fun!!!!![/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

Someone said try multiple deserts, but don't be shy about multiple appetizers and main courses, also.

The room service doorknob hang tag. The best alarm clock ever invented. Pick what you want, the time you want it, hang it out, go to sleep. (Fill in the blank) hours later, KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK, "Room Service!" Fresh coffee delivered to your bedside. What could be better?

I LOVE the coffee wake up call idea!!! I have my coffee set to start before I get up with my coffee cup (cream already in cup) sitting on the counter. First thing I walk too.

I think I have discovered the best virgin cruiser tip out there already. DON"T cruise for the first time during hurricane season!!! Too stressful!! Now I know why I got the cruise so cheap!!

CruisingCatherine - Please do not worry too much about cruising during hurricane season. As long as you can get to your ship, you should have a great time. There may be some itinerary changes, so you have to be prepared to be flexible, but the cruise ship will go where the hurricane isn't, and you will be as safe as a baby, and you'll sleep like one too.

Please make sure you have cruise insurance. This is in case you can't get to the ship because you have to deal with the hurricane on your way to the ship. (I believe that if you purchased your air and/or transfers thru the cruise line, this is not a problem, but insurance is still a good idea.)

If the hurricane hits your departure city, the cruise line will work something out for you. Last week, they cancelled cruises and gave people full refunds, or they shortened cruises, and gave people credit toward a future cruise.

I think that this is an ideal time to go as long as you can get away, you have insurance, and you don't have to be at a specific island on a certain day. I'll grant you, I live on the Gulf Coast, and worrying about hurricanes is part of life here. But a lot of people share my opinion, because this is when they schedule their yearly cruises!

We booked our air through RCCL and we also purchased insurance. Luckily my mother, my aunt, and myself all work at home so we are not on a set in stone schedule. My husband will be keeping the kids and daycare and afterschool care are arranged for as long as I need. So we can be very flexible with our schedule. The only thing that really has me stressed is getting to the ship. We are going on the Mariner. Since Port Canaveral is up in the air it is possible we will have to bus to Miami. Not the most ideal. I would much rather have RC change our flight into Miami. We shall see if they do. I am also a little concerned about Ivan hitting Miami. Then what do we do? We are leaving on the 26th so we don't have a lot of time to plan.

I agree with most everyone above.

Re: Shore Excursions, research regarding each port (see the Ports of Call boards). We used Peat Taylor in Ochos in Jamaica. He's definately the best -we had a great time and he made it enjoyable. Be careful at the Falls, especially getting out. You'll have to buy something to get out of there.

Happy Cruisin'!!!!!

Another idea: I have put fluorescent green/yellow strips of duct tape on the corners of my luggage. Makes it soooooooo easy to spot even when they are loading the luggage onto the airplane!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I also take a ziplock bag with a variety of medications in it. They aren't cheap on the ship, IF you can find what you need. I also take bandaids for those blisters I can get with my snorkeling fins.

If you have children, I have heard it suggested to put each days outfit into a bag. That way the outfits won't get all mixed up when going through the bags or when put into the drawers.

I didn't read back through all of the ideas, so maybe these have been suggested already. There are sooooo many great ideas, but I think the best is to go down the day before. We just started doing this the last couple of cruises and it makes for such a nicer first day. It also affords us with time to be able to take a "bump" on the airplane. We ended up with 6 free tickets one year!

Have a great cruise!

Michelle

Probably no need to state the obvious, but as of tonight, Ivan is heading right for Peat Taylor and his wonderful island. If Jamaica takes a full hit like is forecast, you might not even be able to get in touch with them for several days afterwards. :(

Might want to ask them now what their plans are if they lose their internet connection and can't talk to you closer to the cruise time.

Theron

Catherine, stay in touch with your TA, and check the RCCL home page often. They post storm updates to schedules there.

Since you got your airfare through RCCL, I would think they would do what they can to get you to the ship as easily as possible. They want you to have a great experience, so you will return, bring more family memebers, and you will tell your friends, who cruise for the first time, have a great experience, so they return........

• 1 month later...

Archived