Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

If you have your own lanyard, one of the giftshops will punch your card so that you can clip it to the lanyard. Or you can buy lanyards on the ship.

On the fannypacks, I wouldn't worry about being in style or not. You will see that anything goes with cruising...well, pretty much. ;)

They will punch you at the pursers desk too. I just brought my own single punch. It didn't take much space. We did have 25 of us though. So it was convient to have our own. Day one I actually had i in my back pocket and other cruisers liked our idea and had me punch them. They happened to have a lanyard with them.

One of the cruises the C&A gift was a fanny pack. I am not big on fanny packs though.

Many pax use duct tape (Colored) to tag theor luggage for I.D. purposes. Debarkation can be a nightmare when attempting to find your luggage, even if it is separated by cabin sections and color codes. It also comes in handy when packing breakables with newspaper or bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is a must, especially if you purchase those ceramic and crystal chess boards on the islands. Oh, I almost forgot...If you plan on purchasing souvenirs, then pack an empty duffel or small suitcase in your checked luggage. Then, when your ready to return home, you check it at the airport.

John

The benedryl gel is for sun burn. BTW...You would be surprised how valuable these packing items are when your are on a cruise and don't have them. Many of the cc members list these items based on their cruise experiences. Most of the items you see listed here on the boards are a must when cruising.

John

I read thru 10 pages of wonderful ideas, but no one listed bubble wrap. I love to shop, especially in Mexico, and I would be lost without lots of bubble wrap.

Some additional ideas which have worked well for me:

I usually pack a suitcase within a suitcase (let it be your husband's- he will take less lol)

I also take a number of different colored flat backpacks - they are great for going ashore -

A hanging sweater bag, which gives you more small shelves

100 singles for tipping

Tooth cement (if you have a number of caps)

(if you have gotten this far - thanks for reading it!)

My hubby got a nasty blister on our cruise last Sept and I just happened to have one of those little sticky pads tha you put on corns/callus and it saved the day...so this time,Im going to actually pack some.I too take bubble wrap..heard it right here on one of these boards! Long live the boards! Ha

Here my previous post AfricanGray...

Many pax use duct tape (Colored) to tag theor luggage for I.D. purposes. Debarkation can be a nightmare when attempting to find your luggage, even if it is separated by cabin sections and color codes. It also comes in handy when packing breakables with newspaper or bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is a must, especially if you purchase those ceramic and crystal chess boards on the islands. Oh, I almost forgot...If you plan on purchasing souvenirs, then pack an empty duffel or small suitcase in your checked luggage. Then, when your ready to return home, you check it at the airport.

Instead of using a lanyard to hold your sail and sign card, I was thinking of using those retractable clips that hold your work ID badges. I figure that I can punch two holes in my card that are right next to each other that would create one large hole for the snap device to go through. Then instead of having a lanyard around my neck, I'd have the clip on my waistband and could just pull out the card on the retractable string as needed. If you don't have a work one that you can use, I know you can buy them at office supply stores. I don't like the lanyards because as a nurse, they always manage to get caught or into something when I lean forward or carry things in my arms. Has anyone tried them or think that the clip would work?

Bubble wrap is a must, especially if you purchase those ceramic and crystal chess boards on the islands.

Chess boards? Which islands? Good prices? We've been looking for a nice chess set for our 9yo. What a great souvenir! More than just another dust collector!

I love this thread. I am finishing up the packing this weekend. Two things I have not seen listed. The toiletry roll bag that hangs on a towel bar or on the door and a travel jewlery roll. We have both and they are great. I keep the toiletry bag packed at all times, as we travel quite a lot. It is great as there is no need to have things on the counter in the bathroom as the bag has many see thru compartments. The travel jewelery roll that I have has separate see thru zipper compartments so necklaces do not tangle, earrings do not go astray and it fits quite nicely in the safe. I am taking the shoe bag on this cruise. Did not have it last time and it sounds like a great idea. Thanks again for all the ideas and lists.

The bubble wrap for the chess sets is a great idea. We bought three of them in Cozumel and I wanted to carry them on so they wouldn't get damaged. But, the TSA rep at the airport made us check them--he said they could be used as a blunt force instrument. I was really worried that they would not make it safely home. Bubble wrap would have been wonderful.

Tammy

Last year, my kids were in the cabin next door & we used these to keep in touch. (Young adults - no way were they using walkie talkies!) Actually we found sticky backed dry erase plastic that stuck to the door and removed easily. Duct taped the marker to the door by its lid. Other people left messages for the kids too. Like the door decorations mentioned, it helped us pick out our door from a corridor that seemed a mile long! :D

Another helpful hint:

If you use the plastic cable ties to "lock" your suitcase and you forget to pack nail clippers or scissors to cut them, you can burn through them very easily with a lighter or matches. We learned this the hard way!

Just be careful not to set your suitcase on fire . . . ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. In a million years I would never have thought some of these things.

If you are underage children with someone besides a direct relative you can have the emergency medical lease form notorized at your bank or credit union for free. Both times that my husband and I have left the children for a trip I have had notorized medical authorization forms provided to those caring for my children.

All of these items would work great for a large group...each person could bring one of the items and nobody would be overpacked. Since we are a party of two, if I pack all of those items I'll have no room for clothes, or worse yet, SHOES!! I can't seem to pare it down to a reasonable, small number of pairs!

My version of a pared down list: It looks like a long list but consider many small items and all the hints I put beside each of the items. I suspect 2 large suit cases and a travel/beach bag. I am packing one extra mesh bag to haul souveniers in. The clothes take up most of the space. I will also put the formal/suit in a garment bag with shoes at the bottom.

Travel Bag: (If you leave room in it (instead of doing a purse) you can use it for souveniers going home..a canvas bag or something works great)

Folder with all Cruise Documents (birth cert, etc)

1 set of postit notes/pen

Highlighters (3) (his, hers, yours activities) (better yet, buy the triangle one or tiny ones)

Different size Ziplock Baggies (all inside one)

Medications (including tylenol..bring inside ziplock baggie)

Laynard

To the Beach: Pack a mesh bag or canvas bag to take up less room or pack a backpack and check it or carry it on. You can technically carry your travel bag in the same bag and take it out when you get there, particularly if you put all the travel bag supplies in a big ziplock baggie so it's all in one place.

1-2 bathing suits each. I'm not a duck so I personally only need one. Put these in a ziplock baggie so you'll have something to put your wet clothes already in your bag.

Collapsible lunch bag (not necessary..I'm planning to pack a picnic before I leave).

Squirt bottle (one is fine) to squirt water on yourself when you get hot (unless you are at the beach the entire time).

2 water bottles (you can refill)

Sunglasses

Lip Balm

Sunscreen (I buy travel size)

Bug Spray (if you need it..some ports do)

2 disposable water cameras

I'm not sure about towels

Room Supplies:

Over the Door Shoe Holder

Clothespins (for keeping the shower curtain from clinging to you)

DeWrinkle Spray (if you want)

Pop up Laundry bag (not necessary)

Alarm Clock

Tolietries:

Small makeup bag

Few Jewlery (just for formal night)

Brush

2 Toothbrushes

Travel Size toothpaste

Small Shampoo Bottle

Body soap

Deodorant

(Hair dryer already in cabin)

Curling or flat iron

Razor/Shaving creams

Clothes:

1-2 PJ's each (unless you like naked, then a robe) (Personally one for the week is enough for me).

Shirts/Pants/Shorts (I would bring more shirts than pants and shorts..you can mix and match)

(I personally am planning to bring 5 shirts for me, 1 pair of shorts (all I have), 2 black slacks, 1 jeans, 1 capri pants and my formal (I have a formal top for 2nd night). 4 shoes (tennis shoes, dress shoes, flip flops, and black shoes). My husband will likely bring 1 pair of shorts, 2 jeans, 4 shirts, 2 slacks, a suit (with 2 shirts and ties) and 2 shoes).

7 pair of underwear each

2 bras

7 pairs of socks each (unless you are bringing flip flops, then much less)

Archived