Cruising with a 20month old

K1226M

We are planning abig family cruise with my husbands fam. We decided to go with Royal Carribean since they are the most Family friendly. My son will be the youngest and the next youngest will be over three. We have to pay full price for him. But he will be the only one that is too young to go to the day camps they have for kids. After we got the prices today and found out we have to pay full price, my husband wants us to leave him home with my Parents. Which is totally fine, but I want him to come with us. There are going to be lots of other kids with us between 14 and 3. What do you guys suggest. My husband is worried that he will be bored since he can't go in the pools unless he is potty trained which who knows by then. Can't go to the kids camp b/c he is too young. We still have to pay full price even though he isn't using any of their services. Is it worth it? What is your experince with toddlers on cruises? Even if he could go to the kids camp its not like we would leave him there all day, It would be nice for him to get to play with other kids a few hours 2 or 3 days out of the 7 I know he would enjoy it.

Any thoughts? I don't want him to be miserable for all that $$$$. :eek:

Thanks

I think your son will still have a great time. I have travelled twice with my kids that were too young for the kids club. Last year they added a playgroup thing on RCCL that would give your son about 45 minutes a day with some other younger ones. They bring out some fisher price toys, since a few songs, color, etc. And I would work at getting him at least mostly potty trained by then so he can wear a normal swimsuit and play in the kids pool or at the beach (swim diapers will be fine there) in the ports. We had to change our excursions to be more kid focused but we have always had a great time with them. There is so much to see and do on the ship for everyone. He would enjoy just going into the arcade and playing some car games, or playing mini golf or seeing the parades. We did get a babysitter each evening for a couple hours so the adults could enjoy the long dinner and the show. I am not a big fan of bringing my children into the dining room (they would be ok for a little while but I know my tolerance as well as theirs). So think about what you might do then or just to give yourselves a little break. I can see both sides of the issue and if it wasn't a family cruise and you were just going by yourselves, then I might recommend leaving him home for a very relaxing vacation but since a lot of other relatives and kids will be going, it would a shame for him to miss it too. Just my thoughts. Any questions, let me know.

wendy

Royal Caribbean has activities for that age group, which receive great reviews. I pay full price for my girls on Princess, which has absolutely NO activities for their age (13 months their first cruise/20 months their next). It's no more than I would have to pay for their food, etc., if we went to a resort for a week - with MUCH less stress and TONS more fun. As I've said before, no one had more fun than my girls and I - it was money well spent.

There are tons of things to do besides go in the pool - and you can bring a small blow up pool if it's that big an issue. My girls loved spending time in the shade by the pool dancing to the band and playing with toys. Also, we would go to the disco after dinner and dance and chase the lights around the floor before anyone else got there. On port days you can go to resorts and enjoy the pool/beach there. Also, I'm sure there will be lots of other kids your child can play with - some of the parents of younger children on the last cruise I was on did play dates every day.

And I think there's a great amount of value in your child getting to spend a week with their parents away from the stresses of everyday life. That's priceless.

Best,

Mia

I'll let you know via these boards in early July when I'm back from HAL Alaska cruise at end of month. People on these boards have been very kind helping me through these very issues you are considering: cruise with child not old enough for the kids' program or allowed in the pool and whether to leave child home or bring child. I'll tell you the really really, the good, the bad, the unexpected, whatever. I'll post around the 4th of July when I'm back.

After EXTENSIVE debate--and input from many wonderful people on these boards--we decided we will be bringing our 2 year old (we also have a 5 year old) on upcoming HAL Alaska cruise. I'm probably unique on these boards in that I'm actually dreading our cruise, due to logistics and challeges on a trip that I've heard is not toddler friendly. But we've got a big family thing, so we're going, and we're bringing a toddler.

So I'll let you know!

I'll let you know via these boards in early July when I'm back from HAL Alaska cruise at end of month. People on these boards have been very kind helping me through these very issues you are considering: cruise with child not old enough for the kids' program or allowed in the pool and whether to leave child home or bring child. I'll tell you the really really, the good, the bad, the unexpected, whatever. I'll post around the 4th of July when I'm back.

After EXTENSIVE debate--and input from many wonderful people on these boards--we decided we will be bringing our 2 year old (we also have a 5 year old) on upcoming HAL Alaska cruise. I'm probably unique on these boards in that I'm actually dreading our cruise, due to logistics and challeges on a trip that I've heard is not toddler friendly. But we've got a big family thing, so we're going, and we're bringing a toddler.

So I'll let you know!

We (DH and I) took our then 15 month old on a HAL Alaska cruise and had a wonderful time. It was a gift to us and we did not have any family traveling with us.

Yes, she was too young for the kid's programs, but we planned excursions that we would all enjoy . . . panning for gold, a salmon bake, lumberjack show, etc. Because there were so few children on the cruise, many passengers and the crew doated on our DD. It was a wonderful experience for all of us.

We recently went with lots of family on a Caribbean cruise with our two DDs, aged 4 and 8 months. While our 4 year old loved the kids program, we decided that we would wait to cruise again until our youngest could enjoy the same programs. Even if our youngest was 2 years old, I would still wait to cruise, simply because she is not used to being with babysitters or in childcare situation. That's just our experience. Both cruises were wonderful and I am not at a point in my life where I want to vacation without my children.

As you can see from my signature my daughter was 21 months old on our first cruise. It was only a four-day cruise, but our experience would have been the same on a seven-day, I'm sure.

It was great! We weren't as active as we would have been if she hadn't been with us, but watching her was totally worth the adjustments we had to make. She loved hanging out on the deck and, like Kerry's girls, dancing. DH and I took turns keeping up with her when she got restless and wanted to walk around the deck and explore.

Our cabin steward and wait staff treated her like an absolute princess and we had a blast in the ports.

It sounds like RCCL has a similar set up as Carnival so that you can go into the kids' club at certain times to play. Carnival has babysitting from 10 p.m. to something like 1 a.m. each night in the kids' club as well.

I hope you have a fabulous time!

Jayne

While you, your husband and son CAN have a great time, I would say that our family definitely enjoys cruising more now and we get far more bang for our buck now that our kids are old enough to enjoy the kids' programs. My wife and I can now get some time for ourselves that we could not when our 22 mo old son was constantly in tow.

Why is your child paying full fare? I don't understand that since you should only be paying the third person rate for your child, because you're all sharing one cabin. The only thing I can think of that allows them to charge you full adult fare is that the cruise is popular and sold out. But, check and see if you're actually paying full fare or just the third person rate with the added port taxes.

There are some set times that younger kids can go to the play area, but you are not allowed to leave him alone there---you or your husband must always be present with him in the play room. They have age appropriate toys for him to play with, but again, it's not a program where you can just leave him for a couple of hours.

My husband and I went on a cruise to Mexico for 11 days in Dec of 04. My twin girls were 18 months old. We also had to take two flights in order to get to San Diego.

Cruising is so easy with kids. We were on Celebrity and they didnt have a childs program for our girls age, however we could check out toys. I also brought several "new" toys with us. As others have stated, our girls were treated like princesses, by the staff. We did hire a sitter for almost every night to have the late seating dinner by ourselves. Our girls were in bed by the time the sitter arrived. Our cabin steward had milk in our mini bar every day (just for the girls). My biggest complaint was having enough diapers (but I bought some at a Wal Mart in Mexico).

We actually fedex'ed our luggage down to our hotel so that we wouldnt have to deal with it in the air port. (cost about $20 a bag). Totally worth it. At this point I wouldnt travel any other way - where else can you go where all your needs are met (and more) and get your room cleaned twice a day. My girls especially liked the "Tea" (it was their snack time). My girls loved just going up the elevators. and walking down the long halls.

We only had one experience of negativity during our first night at the early dinner seating. It was our first cruise and we had no idea what to expect ...we brought our girls with us and as soon as they got bored we took them back to our room, but the table next to us said a few negative comments. But like I mentioned above we got the sitter and switched to late seating. The m'd was so pleasant that he made our girls any dishes with 24 hours notice, as well. My husband also mentioned that he liked creme brulee and our head waiter made sure he had it every night.

It was totally worth it. We only paid third and fourth rates though. We were so happy with the cruise that we are now going on a 14 day to Hawaii round trip. Good luck!

Not sure why, if you book the child as the 3rd in a cabin, why it wuld be full price.

Also, they open the playroom some time for younger kids, you just have to stay.

Lastly, I know they sound like they hve strict guidelines re: diapers, but we've sailed many lines with all of our kids and never had an issue putting the kids in the kiddie pool with swim diapers.

Take the kid

O please - potty train your children - do not put them in the pool in swim diapers!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is an issue...obviously you are one of those parents that give the rest of us who respect rules and sanitary guidelines a bad name.

Many of the kiddie pools allow swim diapers - so putting your child into a kiddie pool with a swim diaper isn't necessarily breaking a rule and giving you a bad name. The PP mentioned kiddie pools specifically, not putting diapers in the adult pools. It's nice when the ships have something for everyone - which is why I chose the Sapphire and the Diamond.

Best,

Mia

Sorry - you were pleading with the poster not to break the rules and thus make you look bad. But, if the kiddie pool allows swim diapers, no one is breaking any rules. And since the kiddie pools are constantly flushed - they're the size of a large bathtub - I think the cruise line has done a great job of providing for everyone.

Sorry - you were pleading with the poster not to break the rules and thus make you look bad. But' date=' if the kiddie pool allows swim diapers, no one is breaking any rules. And since the kiddie pools are constantly flushed - they're the size of a large bathtub - I think the cruise line has done a great job of providing for everyone.[/quote']

Please pay attention and respond to the appropriate poster....

The OP is cruising on RC. They do not allow children in swim diapers. Lovincruisin is claiming that cruise lines do not have an issue with swim diapers. Disney is the only cruise line that has a wading pool that can be used by babies in swim diapers (please correct me if I'm wrong). Otherwise, RC, Princess, HAL all have rules against it. Lovincruisin is suggesting to just ignore the rules - that makes us parents who do follow the sanitation rules look bad.

As a mother of a three year old (potty trained at 15 mos), who has sailed the above lines, I do not want my daughter exposed because other people don't give a rat's about appropriate sanitation onboard.

Bplazo is right.

The original thread was not based on swimming in pools alone. I think that she is mostly concerned with weather or not there would be value in paying the fare if her child wouldnt be having any fun. On the Mercury there we were unable to use any of the childrens facilities or use the pools. My girls were 18 months old. NOT POTTY TRAINED. We had a blast, and so did our girls. Frankly the pools on the ship were very cold, and I didnt even want to get in.

When we were in port we went to many resorts and swam in those pools using swim diapers and plastic pants since that is the regulation at our public pools at home. The concierge was more than happy to recommend several places where we could go and the charge was minimal. Frankly all pools should have the appropriate chemicals added and should be shocked on a regular basis in order to keep them clean and healthy for everyone. Most people who are going to be harmed by the bacterias will be those with compromised immune systems, children and the elderly.

As an aside, my girls are now potty trained (at 3 years) and we were recently at swim lessons. I have them wear swim diapers all the same since it is a salt water pool. One of my girls said she had to pee and the instructor looked at her and said, " Well you are have a diaper on?!" Needless to say I took her to the bathroom. This just goes to show that not everyone is under the same guidelines or knows the "Rules".

I definetly think this family should go on the cruise and take anyone they wish. Bring a small inflatible pool, as I have read many others have done on these boards with no problems. AND double check the pricing for 3rd and 4th passenger rates. For some reason people think that cruising is expensive, however the best way to determine if your costs are in line is to break out the cost per day and you will see that you are getting a excellent value for the ammenties a cruise offers for the whole family. There is no better value in my mind.

As an aside, my girls are now potty trained (at 3 years) and we were recently at swim lessons. I have them wear swim diapers all the same since it is a salt water pool. One of my girls said she had to pee and the instructor looked at her and said, " Well you are have a diaper on?!" Needless to say I took her to the bathroom. This just goes to show that not everyone is under the same guidelines or knows the "Rules"..

I'm surprised at this. When my girl started her swimming lessons at a community college pool, among the rules given to all the parents was that you're to take your child to the restroom before class. If a kid has an accident, the pool gets shut down for the day while the water gets shocked. All the rest of the lessons get cancelled. The workers in the extension office have to get on the phone and call all the students for the remaining classes (assuming they're still home) and tell them not to bother coming in. Then they issued credits to each student affected ($5 off registration for a new class).

We took our girl on her first cruise at 23 months on a 3-day Baja cruise on Carnival Holiday. My hubby was apprehensive about taking her on a vacation so we hadn't gone anywhere since her birth except for a day trip to Sea World. But it turned out great. We had booked an inside but Carnival upgraded us to an oceanview and she loved climbing up to the perch (with her Dad) to check out the sea.

She was one month too young to go into Camp Carnival but she found things to do on the ship such as exploring. As we've done the Baja cruise before (when I was pregnant) we left the ship in Ensenada just long enough to go to the marketplace at the pier.

We drove to the port so we just had to squeeze everything into our small car. The next cruise we did fly (she was 3 by then) but we shopped for some of the supplies in Miami, rather than trying to fit everything into our suitcase. We left the stroller at home, just taking the car seat.

And the crew members to pay plenty of attention to the little ones. Many have children back home that they miss dearly so they seem to love talking to the kids, taking them around in the dining room.

We have always gotten the third person rate for her. You may check that out with your TA. I don't think it matters if it's a popular cruise either as we still got the special rate on a holiday cruise last December.

Archived