More on Effective Thread Titles...

Host CMLA

Hi guys. I think it's time to post this again. I wanted to give everyone a little reminder about how to title a post so that everyone can know what it's about and be able to find the information faster using the search function. While I understand wanting to use a catchy title to incite interest, it's not always the most effective. For example, titling a post "Can you believe this?" is attention grabbing, it doesn't tell members what you're talking about. Or a title with the name of a ship doesn't tell anyone what you want to know about that ship. Effective titles tell the members what information you're looking for or what you're sharing. If members can know what your thread's about without opening the thread, they can more effectively use their time on the board.

I do sometimes alter thread titles if they're too vague or need more clarification because it's helpful to the member. However, if we all take a few extra seconds to title new topics with the subject of the post, it'll be easier for everyone.

One other thing...if you have many questions about a ship, please post them all under one thread with a title that'll cover it all. Please don't post 6 or 7 threads with one question per thread all about the same ship. Thanks!

One other thing...if you have many questions about a ship, please post them all under one thread with a title that'll cover it all. Please don't post 6 or 7 threads with one question per thread all about the same ship. Thanks!

Cecilia, you're the moderator, so we certainly have to abide by your guidelines and decisions. However, I often don't bother responding to a multi-question thread because it can be very time-consuming. I think it's actually better to have multiple threads, each with a specific question and an appropriate title. That way, people can scan them faster and respond succinctly to a specific question or skip the ones that aren't relevant to them. Yes, that would result in more threads, but I don't feel that's a big deal. Just my opinion.

regarding the multiple question threads...

Most of the questions could be answered by reviewing the other current messages as the same questions were asked by others in the past day or so. Actually, about 90% of the questions have been recently asked and answered. If only the new or unanswered questions were asked, the new cruisers would be able to get much more information and feedback.

Cecilia, you're the moderator, so we certainly have to abide by your guidelines and decisions. However, I often don't bother responding to a multi-question thread because it can be very time-consuming. I think it's actually better to have multiple threads, each with a specific question and an appropriate title. That way, people can scan them faster and respond succinctly to a specific question or skip the ones that aren't relevant to them. Yes, that would result in more threads, but I don't feel that's a big deal. Just my opinion.
You make a very good point and I hadn't thought about it that way. I think what happens is someone posts many threads with random questions and they don't use a very good title and you end up having to open every single question to see what it's about. If you have a specific question about a ship and you post the question as your title, then members know exactly what you're looking for and will only open that thread if they can contribute. The title : Star? isn't specific. The title: Does the Star have a midnight buffet? is specific.

There are no hard and fast rules about this. I'm just offering suggestions that might help members get more out of the board. Only so many threads fit on the first page. If several people ask the same question with varying titles, it cuts down on the amount of information that's on the first page and you have to spend more time going through more pages of threads. Also, the search feature is a good thing. If your title doesn't reflect the subject, your information won't be part of the results in a search.

Though we all welcome "noobies" to post their questions, I wish there was a way to REQUIRE (read: force) first time posters to read the FAQ and Stickies before they make a post. It really would be for THEIR benefit. I remember working with one message board that would not allow subject titles less than 4 words or something like that... though I can not remember when or where that was.

I guess we just keep working with folks to help them to help themselves.

I wanted to give everyone a little reminder about how to title a post so that everyone can know what it's about and be able to find the information faster using the search function.

Reminders don't work well, you need to change the User Interface.

The Post New Thread screen template needs to change from simply saying "Title:" to "Title: Summarize the question or subject of your post (this is important)". Should be an easy template change.

I think some consistancy with the abreviations of the Pride ships needs to be maintained. Sometimes you have to read the signature to see which one they are talking about.

I thought it was agreed that we would use:

POA for the Pride of Aloha

POAm for Pride of America

and

POH for Pride of Hawaii

Archived