Mariner of the Seas - not leaving ship at ports

We just booked our cruise for Mariner of the Seas for June 11. This will be our first cruise with Royal Carribean and the first going to the Eastern Caribbean. My husband is perfectly content never getting off the ship - he says it is nice and quiet on those days and it is like having the ship to yourself. Is there anyone reading this posting that has done this, just stayed on the ship the whole time and not left it while it was at port??

Our previous cruises have been on Carnival and we were happy on the ships, but wanted to try a change. Look forward to hearing comments.

Your husband is going to be fine. The CD staff does schedule activities, albeit fewer, and there are always things to do on the ship regardless of whether it is at sea or at port. He can rock climb or ice skate or play mini golf or watch a movie or read or sit by the pool or or work out or just eat. Or drink.

I just got back from the Southern Caribbean itinerary, and while we didn't stay on the ship the entire time, we did only go on quick shopping trips at St Thomas and St Maarten. I don't think it would have devastated us had we stayed on the ship at those 2 ports (because we'd been there before). And yes, it was very nice to have the ship all to ourselves!

Enjoy!!

In my opinion, the cruise is the reason we go--not the ports. Once you've seen 1 island, you've pretty much seen them all! The same jewelry stores, the same t-shirts and other "native" junk. I'm with your husband! I paid for the ship, and when everyone else is out and about, I feel like the ship is all mine! Love to stay onboard on port days!!!!!

I can't think of a nicer ship to stay on in port than Mariner of the Seas. In fact we did just that on our first cruise except we did get off in Charlotte Amalie and walked over to the ride that takes you up to the top of the mountain for a spectacular view of the harbor. We also walked around a little bit in Nassau.

Since then we have become much more adventurous and usually leave the ship especially my husband. I like to stay on board in ports we've seen several times before.

Many people really don't want to leave the ship. The fun of a cruise for them is just being on the ocean and enjoying relaxation on the ship.

I love to stay on the ship. My DH loves to take excursions (to see the ruins, the forts, etc) PLEEEAAAASSSEEE.....:eek: thats just not me. Anyway on our last cruise he toured and I hung out on the ship. OH MY, it was so wonderful. I actually ate about every 15 minutes (with ice cream cone in between) heheheh.

Do what you love to do. It's your vacation. That's the beauty of crusing. You can do as much or as little as you want.

Happy Sailing,

Pat

Archived