Men's Dress Code!

kingsrx

Are we going to lose FORMAL altogether ? I'm all for being comfortable - but what's wrong with a little elegance once in awhile ? I know little - well, nothing really, about cruises - just getting started - but I was SHOCKED to read HAL's dress code - jacket and tie for FORMAL - give me a break !! and here I thought HAL would be THE MOST FORMAL of all of the cruiselines. Let's hope X keeps formal nights FORMAL. I don't mind cutting the men some slack and allowing a dark suit instead of a tux, but that's as far as it should go, IMO !!

we have our FORMAL clothes for our cruise next summer and I can't wait !

(Aug 07 - Alaska ! it seems so far away right now)

I was SHOCKED to read HAL's dress code - jacket and tie for FORMAL - give me a break !!

As caviargal and I said above, virtually all men wear a tuxedo/dinner jacket or dark suit on formal night aboard HAL ships, regardless of the official dress code.

What they really mean to say, I think, is that they do not want you to only wear a jacket and tie, but they won't turn you away if you do. Nonetheless, that's probably not how it comes off.

here I thought HAL would be THE MOST FORMAL of all of the cruiselines.

At least of English-speaking cruise lines, that honor must go to Cunard, and in particular, to QE2.

Generally, aboard QE2, the first and last nights are informal (jacket and tie) as are nights in port, while nights at sea are formal (dinner jacket or dark suit). There are no casual nights at all.

As far as I know, this is the most formal dress code out there.

thanks Host Doug - just for fun I had a look at Cunard's website - as I suspected, I'll have to keep buying those lottery tickets. But what was interesting (funny really ) was I took a peak at the message board for Cunard - the exact same discussions are going on on that board too

- what casual wear is acceptable day wear

and, are pax dressing too casual now ?

- dark suit or tux ?

so, on and on the disucussion goes !

sounds like 'the times are changing' everywhere. just at different speeds

I am trying to figure out what to pack for my husband.

We have everything for the formal night (black suit).

Informal and casual nights are proving rather difficult.

Any examples of what you have seen as acceptable on informal and casual nights would be great!

I am sitting here looking at the "OP's" post and am trying to figure out what is so hard in answering her question.

This thread has gone from what is acceptable for her husband to wear to disortations on why we get "Norovirus".

Some have helped while others just stir the pot on the dress recommendation issue.

I noticed last week that there was a sticky put out by "Laura S" on trying to stay on point. Is it that hard to do...?

I can not remember how many posts the "OP" has on "Cruise Critic" or when she joined...but a thread like this is certinly not a "best foot forward" by some posters to encourage people to want to be here and particapate.:o

This question SHOULD be a non issue.

X posts guidelines about what it expects its passengers to wear.

For men its simple, and the only questionable issue is tie or no-tie in my opinion.

So to be safe, even if you don't want to wear one, pack one.

Its that simple.

Everything else is spelled out in the brochures, and on the website, but just in case I'll post it for those who are unaware:

spacer.gifWhat to Pack

Whether on the ship or in a port of call, stylish resort wear is fine for both men and women. For warmer climates, this includes walking shorts and polo shirts, swim suits and cover-ups, lightweight slacks or skirts, and a light sweater. When visiting cooler climates, casual clothing that can be easily layered for warmth or comfort is recommended, along with a raincoat or umbrella, waterproof hat and gloves.

On all Celebrity cruises, it's wise to bring along comfortable, rubber-soled shoes, hat, sunglasses and a good sunscreen. Remember to pack any prescription medications or other personal care items you'll need. spacer.gifEvening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include three types of dress: formal, informal and casual.

Formal attire calls for an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for gentlemen. Elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights.

For your convenience, arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.com or call 800-551-5091 or 305-252-8572.

On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks.

Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition.

Now call me ignorant, but I don't see anything difficult about being able to follow these guidelines.

BTW: The evening dress code does apply to ALL passengers including children who want to eat in the main diningroom.

Dave:eek:

You are correct on the attire.

I carry 1 or 2 custom made tuxedos depending on the length of the cruise. Also carry a custom made white dinner jacket. 1 or 2 double breasted jackets with slacks for informal nights. 4 to 5 "Tommy Bahamas" with slacks for casual nights.

I also wear those shirts that have been compared to leisure suits. I have them custom made from silk at $150+ each.

I promised myself not too long ago that I would never get involved in one of these attire issues. Now I remember why.:eek:

Sorry we tried to help someone dress their husband appropriately.

Archived