Best beach for snorkling

LindaKE

Where is the best place for snorkling? Is the coral close enough that you can get to it easily from shore, or do you need to take a boat trip? I'm hesitating over a boat trip, because I burn easily and don't want to get stuck for a couple hours on a boat on which I cannot get out of the sun. I do use sunblock, but I stilll need to get out of the sun after a while. We'll also be on Princess Cay. Is the snorkling better on St. Thomas or Princess Cay?

We have enjoyed snorkeling at both Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay on St. John. They both have great beach snorkeling and plenty of shade. I have not done it yet but I have heard that the snorkeling at Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach are also good if you want to stay on St. Thomas. I hope this helps!

We have snorkeled at both Trunk Bay and Coki Beach. I'd always heard how great the snorkeling is at Trunk Bay, but it wasn't the day we went. Could have just been poor weather/water conditions stirring up things in the days before we got there, but it was a beautiful, clear day while we were there. The beach at Trunk Bay was GORGEOUS! Coki, on the other hand, was great! Not the prettiest beach, but the snorkeling was really good.

There was't much shade at Coki that I can recollect but there are umbrellas available for rent.

Two alternatives you may want to consider are both on St. John: Cinnamon Bay or Truk Bay. Palm trees line the beach and there is shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived