new review

thulewx

I just read Jane's Legend review (SantaAna,CA) at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18590

Over all, great!

I was a wee bit dismayed (but not surprised) by her comments about the spa treatment - I assume it's still Steiner as the subcontractor? Why does steiner insist on these selling tactics and charge such exorbitant prices? (Well, I guess it's because they can:( )

Thanks, Jane!!

<< I just read Jane's Legend review (SantaAna,CA) at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=18590 >>

Excellent review with helpful details and background as we prepare for BOTH our first cruise and the first time on Seabourn.

Gives good, honest pictures of what is of interest to expect and be prepared for on such a cruises. Good news: lots of great food. Bad news: need to exercise to avoid being the Goodyear Blimp at the conclusion of the cruise.

Just two weeks away from our 34th Wedding Anniversary with a cruise from Athens through the Greek Islands, along the Turkish Coast and then finishing in Istanbul.

Have gotten many great tips from Martita B. and the other great regulars on this discussion board. What else is most important to know at this stage?

Thanks! TLC in Ohio

Well that's great, I'm glad that I was able to give some information that would useful to you both...I'm thrilled that you have upcoming cruises on Seabourn and am now my usual shade of green with envy!

With respect to the spa, let me say that, if you have money to spend on that sort of thing....I thought the massage was okay and all, but again, lots of pressure to buy their products. I think the spa is contracted out, that is, it's not Seabourn's personnel, you are correct in that. I'm sure a more-traveled Seabournite would be able to handle that one.

I am just not really that interested in spa stuff....so that is why I had that slant on it. I wouldn't tell anyone not to do it....but for the very, very expensive treatments, it just wouldn't be a way I'd spend my $$ again. Quite frankly, I would get a manicure and pedicure before I boarded....so I didn't have to pay $60 for it! And $110 for a massage that was just average, no thanks. Once again, it's really up to you, if being at a "spa at sea" is something you'd fancy. The ladies in the spa were very nice and it's not that it was an unpleasant experience....just not worth the money to me.

P.S. The one thing I forgot to mention in my review was how nice the fellow passengers were. I think lots of people have the feeling about this upscale line that it's "stuffy". Although the formality of Seabourn's style appeals to me, I found her passengers to be friendly, well traveled and a real delight to talk to, not at all "stuffy"!

I hope you both have wonderful trips on the elegant yachts of Seabourn!

Jane :)

On the Seabourn website, the downloadable pamphlet concering Spa stuff indicates it is indeed Steiner operated - they're the same people who operate the majority of spa venues on most cruise ships, including all of Carnivore Corp. ships except QM2. I've had some bad experiences with Steiner before regarding pressure to buy. If you walk in for the massage and tell them up front "If you try to get me to buy any products, I will not tip you :mad: " they usually will give you a better massage. Also - all their clocks run very fast - a 60 minute massage for us regular people equals a 45-50 minute massage for them. ;)

Did they have any of the free "massage moments" up on deck, as I've seen advertised?

Hi Phil, yes they did. You have to be positioned where they are doing them...it was on deck 7...and in the daily bulletin it will tell you when and where they will be giving massage moments, if it's on the schedule that day.

By the way, I think someone who knows how to fend off good salespeople would be just fine in the spa. I bought about $300 worth of stuff that is now sitting in my apartment, untouched, and I growl at it each time I pass by. I'm embarrassed to admit I did buy it. But yes....they do push their products, you just need to know that going in. Try saying this, in a real friendly way: "well that sounds really interesting...let me think about it a little!" and not cave in like a weakling LIKE I DID!

Jane :D

Hi Jane,

Have I mentioned to you the very near-the-beach Florida real estate that I have on offer? It's so near the beach that it's damp most of the time...

bgood

Jane,

Obviously, I don't frequent the gym, but use the spa alot. I look for the bargains offered on port days, when I don't go ashore. I do keep in mind that the price includes the tip as well, and costs are similar to those in Philly.

Also, perhaps it's the luck of the draw, but I have not had a pushy spaperson on Seabourn. On the other hand, those from the Canyon Ranch Spa on the QM2 were really tough and I almost bought less than 2 oz. of xome miracle cream for $150.00!

East Coast Jane, looking forward to seeing you in December!

Hi Jane:

Just wanted to echo the sentiments for your well-written review! And I agree with all your sentiments, even though I'm a week behind you in SB "days"!!!

Have a great weekend, and I'll see ya' in December! :D

Paul

who can't for the life of him figure out how/when he'll "measure up" to Jane!!, although he won't quit!!! ;)

How nice of you to say Paul, I'm glad there are people who found my review of the Legend useful.

If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be on in December, so thank you again!

Jane :o

wondering if Paul's "reserved" sign will follow him from the Legend's SkyBar to the Pride's?

wondering if Paul's "reserved" sign will follow him from the Legend's SkyBar to the Pride's

Me, too! :D

Anyway, I'm giving 'em the chance(!), and have a deposit back on the Legend in March, just in case!!!

Paul

returning the thread to "on topic"

Thank you for the review!

I just came off with a group of the NCL Jewel and stayed in the Garden Villa for 2 weeks. We decided to get a group together and sail the Seabourn Legend on it's February 25, 2007 sailing.

I have sailed a couple of times on Seabourn and loved it, but my partner loves big ships...so we did them. After this cruise now he is also ready for a change. We hate to get nickled and dimed, especially if you have paied already premium. Food sucked and entertainment (shows) a joke.

SPA...LOL...Steiner...yep they are on all the ships (most)! To be honest...I know a couple of the head office managers...and they tell the to sell and not to care about treatments or guests...just to sell! It is the only way they make money...and if there is a bad comment they laugh about it and joke about the guest. Seen it many times.

I have to say...I had the best treatment on my cruise on the Seabourn Pride...they made me feel sooo special...but me dummy bought a lot too and for 2 treatments (including bathsalt and refreshing gel) I payed over USD1600.00! I needed a shot at the Bar...LOL...especially after the Pool Bar Tender told me, it did not help!

I just wished I would know already, what kind of changes they will do in dry dock!

Have a great weekend...

Marcus

Archived