Children travelling with one parent

can786

I am a dedicated Princess cruiser who has never cruised on Carnival but I am asking this question for my brother's girlfriend.

My brother's girlfriend is a divorced mother of two boys, ages 6 and 9. Her ex-husband is planning on taking the boys on a Carnival cruise soon along with his girlfriend. Since he and the girlfriend want total privacy in the cabin he has booked two cabins and is planning on putting the 6 and 9 year old boys in their own cabin across the hall from he and his girlfriend. Their mother is very upset over this as she feels that the boys are not old enough to be in a cabin on their own.

So here's my question... I know on Princess a parent travelling alone with children usually needs some sort of documentation that says they can take the kids out of the country (either papers granting full custody or a notarized letter from the other parent granting permission, etc.). Does Carnival require anything like this? Their mother is very concerned about this and is looking for a way to stop her ex-husband from allowing them in their own cabin.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There are two questions asked here.

Does Carnival require a letter to take the children on the cruise? The answer should be that it is highly suggested, but not required unless the children are staying overnight in Mexico (and probably not even then).

The real problem here seems not to be that the mother doesn’t want the children going on the cruise, she doesn’t want them staying in their own room (or does she not want them going with dad and his new g/f?).

Dad is really not being very responsible by suggesting that the children be in a non connecting room of their own and should really rethink this situation. Maybe he can switch to two adjoining cabins.

What would mom’s response be if all for of them were staying in a single cabin? I bet that she would still be trying to find a way to stop them from going. What really needs to happen her is that the adults involved need to sit down and figure out how they are going to live with each other the next 11 years (until the youngest is 18) or they are going to end up with two messed up children. Remember it is OK not to like your ex spouse but it is never OK to say anything bad to the kids about their other parent unless it can be backed up with facts (i.e., an alcoho9lic, a criminal, etc (not that s/he is a cheater (they’ll figure that out on their own.))

Actually, their mother has no problem with the kids going on a cruise with their dad, her objection is to having them in their own cabin at their young ages. She knows they will enjoy the cruise very much, and figures if their dad and his girlfriend want time together that is where the kids programs would come in very handy. She would be fine with it if the kids were in a cabin with their dad. I want to say thank you to all of you who have given advice and I will pass it on to my brother and his girlfriend. I didn't mean to stir up any hard feelings by coming to the Carnival boards and posting this question but since I felt this was wrong myself and I have seen questions posted on the Princess boards about kids travelling with only one parent I figured you here on the Carnival boards would know the answer in regards to Carnival. Thanks again.

I completely agree with GC...in stating that the children are too young.

I have a 10 year old and a 4 year old and there is no way other than connecting cabins where the door stays open all the time that I would even consider giving the kids their own cabin. There is too much that can happen.

I also have sole custody of my 10 year old and I had to get permission from her father to take her on the last cruise with us, however, no one even asked to look at the information. I would definately tell her to contact Carnival to express her concerns for her children. The father of those kids should take responsibilty for them or not take them at all.

If you have sole custody of your child why did you need to get permission from her father?

we went last august with our 4 kids and they had a room next door with my oldest 14 years old. we were ok with that. I could tell you that if it was my 2 younger kids who at that time were 7 and 9 we would have had them in our room. would he leave them alone in his house on a saturday night so him and his girlfriend can go out. if yes then you can see why he did this. if he would not then why would you do it on a cruise ship especially with people you don't know around you.

Archived