Please help me decide between 2 itineraries!!

kaikaixinxin

My husband and I am planning to go on a western carribean cruise in Dec. There are two intineraries we are interested in : jamaica + grand cayman + cozumel; or costa maya + grand cayman + cozumel. We are not sure which one is more interesting, jamaica or cozumel. Please share your opinions. Great thanks!

Personally I like Cozumel better than Jamaica. I don't feel safe in Jamaica if you go there I would take one of the tours as opposed to seeing Jamaica on your own. I do like Cozumel as I feel safe there and the times we've been there we normally just walk around the downtown areas where there are a variety of stores and restaurants. By the way, I really like Grand Cayman.

Keith

I do feel safer in Cozumel and there are many interesting and fun things to do there. Grand Cayman is neat too. However, Jamaica is a nice contrast because it is a very different style of island than the others on the itinerary--very mountainous, green and verdant, compared to the flat, dryer Mexican coast and very flat Grand Cayman. I haven't been to Costa Maya. On Jamaica I would definitely go with a ship tour or reputable private guide, such as you can find on the port boards for Jamaica. We used Phil Lafayette and were very satisfied.

My husband and I am planning to go on a western carribean cruise in Dec. There are two intineraries we are interested in : jamaica + grand cayman + cozumel; or costa maya + grand cayman + cozumel. We are not sure which one is more interesting, jamaica or cozumel. Please share your opinions. Great thanks!

I see that the difference here is Jamaica or Costa Maya. I would pick Costa Maya over Jamaica. We did David and Ivan's tour up to the ruins and then spent the rest of the day at the beach at Majahual. It is beautiful, but I have no yearning to return there. When we went off the beaten path (with our excursion operator) I know I would have NOT have felt safe w/o him. I felt very safe in Costa Maya.

So, for me: the cruise that has Costa Maya.

Costa Maya is a bit more convenient for the Mayan ruins than Cozumel and that frees you up to snorkel and enjoy the beautiful waters of Cozumel, which even in December should be nice. Jamaica is beautiful, but you do have to be very, very careful there. Costa Maya feels safer, but anywhere in Mexico, or anywhere else, you still need to be very careful. Bottom line, though, either one would be great!

Kaik

I 've been to both. I would avoid Jamaica especially Oches do many panhandlers if your walking to Oches. Not very safe. Ship excursion not your own would be best. Costa Maya would be my choice.

Another vote for the Costa Maya itinerary. Also love Cayman, but with you cruising in December, keep in mind that if the weather is rough, the captain could decide to skip Cayman as it is a tender port. Not to dissuade you, but I always keep that in mind when Cayman is on the itinerary.

I would agree that avoiding Jamaica is a good idea for many reasons, unless you take the tour to Dunns River Falls with the multitudes from the ship and then scurry back to that ship -- wandering around is NOT a good idea. Trust me.......... Jamaica is best observed from a distance, aboard ship. And you can always take an Eastern or Southern Caribbean cruise another time and see similar terrain (i.e., "mountains") via other islands, like Dominica and St. Lucia or even St. Thomas.

We had the same problem until I saw all of the bad reviews on Jamaica. Our friends were there last year and Super Dave, thats what we call him because things always happen to him, told us that Jamaica was the only port where he didn't feel safe. Now Soup is not a whimpy sort and if he was uncomfortable then I might be inclined to vote for Costa Maya. If you do decide on going to Jamaica, by all means, take an organized tour. The guides will not let the vendors hound you.

Thank you guys all. I am interested in the Carnival Miracle iternerary with grand cayman + cozumel + belize + costa maya. Not sure if belize is any safer than jamaica though.

Thanks to all of you again!

Just got off that cruise in March.... while the Belize countryside is beautiful the city is third world and very poor..... it is the one port on that particular itinerary I would book a ship excursion.... we did cave tubing and loved it......The Miracle is a great ship and it is a wonderful itinerary......

wow guys.....we alsojust got back from the W Caribbean off of Conquest...went to Jamaica..and hated it...do not want to return...didnot feel safe at all....we stayed the whole time at margaritaville....oh well...still had an awesome cruise....we arenow booked on Rhapsody of the Seas going to Honduras...Pregresso...Costa Maya...and Cozumel....a pretty nice plan i think! see you guys soon

We are doing Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel in October. I have been to cozumel several times, sometimes it was good, others not so good. I do not enjoy the crowds so the last time we were there we took off for Chankanaab (sp?) and had a wonderful time. I understand they suffered severe damage during the last hurricane though.

I am looking forward to Jamaica since it will be a new experience.

Thank you guys all. I am interested in the Carnival Miracle iternerary with grand cayman + cozumel + belize + costa maya. Not sure if belize is any safer than jamaica though.

Belize probably isn't a whole lot safer than Jaimaca, but having done both....I would recommend doing the cave tubing in Belize. You'll love it. I did the itinerary you're considering on RCCL and loved it. I really loved Cozumel, but totally enjoyed Costa Maya and Grand Cayman too.

Another vote for the Costa Maya itinerary. Also love Cayman, but with you cruising in December, keep in mind that if the weather is rough, the captain could decide to skip Cayman as it is a tender port. Not to dissuade you, but I always keep that in mind when Cayman is on the itinerary.

....By the same token we have had to bypass Oches (and Montego Bay) because of weather. :(

Did any of you all take small children with you when you went to Ocho Rios? I will be in Ocho Rios in August and I will have my two young daughters 3 and 6? Any advice? Should we stay on the ship?:confused:

Of the ports we visited on our 2 cruises, Belize is our favorite. Our travel agent suggested that we go with a ship sponsored excursion in this port, which we did. I would love to go back some day.

Personally I would choose Costa Maya. It does depend on the port in Jamaica too. I've heard great things about some, but we went to Ocho Rios and it was pretty bad. The dunes river falls was nice, but other than that, we felt very unsafe. Everyone selling stuff was very pushy. A lot of the men were just down right creepy. I was only 18 when I was there, but even w/ my dad by my side many made rude comments. It was a very dirty, run down city. We had a cab driver who took us on a tour. Don't do that! Half way through it on the side of a mountain some car pulled up beside us and stopped us. Men with guns got out and were talking to our driver. Couldn't understand the language, but it wasn't good. We got out ok, but rather shaken! My mom and I are going there in July, but are planning to stay on the ship.

Costa Maya was a nice port, very different. It's not really a town, just a port. Has a huge pool w/ bars/restaurants. Lots of shops and markets as well. I think they had some water sports. You can do organized tours w/ the ship to Mayan ruins and at least on ours, to Cancun for shopping (only a short distance). We rented a golf cart and drove up to the closest town, about 15 min away. GORGEOUS beach. One of the prettiest areas I've ever seen in my life, and I've been on a lot of cruises! There are water sports along there as well as shopping. Very unique, awesome picture opportunities!

Again, look at the port in Jamaica. Even though I didn't like Ocho Rios, I'm glad I was able to go to Jamaica. Adds another country to my list ;) I'd still like to try another city there. But when it comes down to one vs. the other, I liked Costa Maya much, much more!

Personally I would choose Costa Maya.

Costa Maya was a nice port, very different. It's not really a town, just a port. Has a huge pool w/ bars/restaurants. Lots of shops and markets as well. I think they had some water sports. You can do organized tours w/ the ship to Mayan ruins and at least on ours, to Cancun for shopping (only a short distance). We rented a golf cart and drove up to the closest town, about 15 min away. GORGEOUS beach. One of the prettiest areas I've ever seen in my life, and I've been on a lot of cruises! There are water sports along there as well as shopping. Very unique, awesome picture opportunities!

Contrary to many, Costa Maya is NOT just a port. It really is a town, with people and a school, which we happened to have donated a bunch of school supplies while there. We took a taxi from the port to the beach and school. At the beach we rented jet skis and had a blast!! We didn't spend much time in the port at all, and actually should there be a next time, I would probably try to spend more time in port. We also ate the local food and my daughter had her hair braided on the beach.

Archived