Tipping in Copenhagen airport

croman02

My husband needs a wheelchair for long distances and I always tip the wonderful wheelchair pushers in the airports. I won't have appropriate local money--is it ok to tip with American dollars? How have others handled this.

I don't know if the fees/exchange rate would be awful or if it would be too inconvenient for you, but you could try to convert some cash from dollars to Euros at your local bank before you leave.

You'll need Euros anyway so it might be convenient to arrive there already having some.

We ADORE Copenhagen and have some really fabulous times there. Hope you enjoy it also.

IIRC, Denmark is on the Denmark Kroner, or DKK, not the Euro, although a porter might be happy to get a tip in euros. Keep in mind that coins are not readily exchangable across borders, so if you did tip in Euros, a 5 euro bill would be minimum, since the one and two euros are coins, not notes.

Rather than convert to euros to tip, and the porter then converting to DKK to spend, you could just use US bills and let the porter handle it. I'm sure that they will be able to work it out.

For exchange rates, etc. try http://xe.com

And, have a great cruise.

I don't know if the fees/exchange rate would be awful or if it would be too inconvenient for you, but you could try to convert some cash from dollars to Euros at your local bank before you leave.

You'll need Euros anyway so it might be convenient to arrive there already having some.

We ADORE Copenhagen and have some really fabulous times there. Hope you enjoy it also.

Just a heads up; the official Danish currency is still the Krone, not the Euro. The Krone is pegged to the Euro, meaning there's a fixed exchange rate but in the last popular referendum the Danes rejected the Euro. Copenhagen is most definitely a great city! Have a great cruise!

Croman

We faced the same tipping problem this past March, in Santiago (I got sick the last day of a cruise), when I needed a wheelchair for the long distances in the terminal.

A US $10.00 bill was happily accepted!

Croman

We faced the same tipping problem this past March, in Santiago (I got sick the last day of a cruise), when I needed a wheelchair for the long distances in the terminal.

A US $10.00 bill was happily accepted!

And a bank note in Euros, Krone, Yen, or Spondoolacs would have been just as happily accepted. But when it's easy-peasy to get local currency, isn't that the better thing to do?

We always attempt to purchase local currencies before we leave on the trip. The recipients always appreciate not having to convert dollars. If you must use dollars, be aware that many foreign banks will refuse to exchange bills with tears or markings.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with some crisp, new American bills. There are so many different ports with different currency on this trip that I won't try to exchange anything before we go. last year on a trip to the Med we only had to think about euros and were able to cash travelers' checks on the ship.

Archived