Wine Etiquette while Dinning

Could someone please tell me what the proper etiquette would be if a couple ordered a bottle of wine for dinner while seated at a group table. Is one expected to share, or do most cruisers also order their own bottle of wine? Or is it easier to just order individual glasses of wine? I did read that one cruiser brought his own very nice collection of wine and made a point of sharing it with his tablemates. While I think this is a wonderful and generous gesture, I unfortunately am on a budget...

How have you seasoned cruisers handled this?

Also, if you order a wine package (such as the wine navigator package) is that for consumption in the dining room only, or can you have it in your room? Does anyone know how much these wine packages cost?

Thank you!

For several of our cruises, we have ordered the Wine Navigator--which, on our last cruise, had gone up in price and gone down in the number of bottles. In April, following a suggestion on this board, my husband ordered our wine prior to boarding--through Ship's Services in Seattle. You can download a list of the "usually" available wines and we chose from that. I believe that he ordered 9 for our 14 day cruise. Most of the wine was in our cabin when we boarded in Osaka, with a note that the rest would come later. One choice was not available but the substitute was acceptable. We took the wine with us to the DR when we wanted to use a bottle; gave it to the wine steward; and that was that. There is no gratuity on wine ordered this way, nor is there a corkage fee--since it is HAL's wine.

As for sharing at the table, we have usually been at a table for 4/6. We do not offer to share every night, but have alway made an offer at least once and maybe more. It usually works out that we share one night, and the other couples reciprocate on other evenings. There are some people who do not care for wine w/dinner or who do not drink. So, sharing may not be a problem. I, personally, would not expect others to share their entire expensive wine purchases with me, and I'm sure they would prefer it that way. Some people, however, might wish to do this and I think, in my opinion, that that is above what is expected of table mates. I do think, however, that if you take advantage of an offer to share, you should expect to reciprocate in kind. This is, again, just my personal opinion. hmh

We often bring our own wine onboard as we belong to a wine group and have favorites. We understand that the corkage fee will be charged. We have always been at tables for at least 8 people and we do not offer to share our wine. Many years ago we would offer to share if we purchased a bottle but found that many did not reciprocate. At first I felt uncomfortable having our own bottle when others did not but for the most part, some do not drink wine and if they want it, they can certainly order by the glass or bottle as they see fit. It's their choice. I do not expect others who bring wine to the table to share with me. Over the course of usually 2 hours, we can consume about 2 glasses each and there is little left to share with others.

Last three cruises we have requested and received tables of six. People have different preferences in wine, red vs. white the most obvious. On our past two cruises all three couples ordered bottles as individual couples at all dinners. One couple always drank the whole bottle at each dinner, the other two saved half for the next evening. On our Baltic cruise last summer, we did purchase a bottle for our table on the last night and another couple did the same with champagne during dessert. I have never felt a particular obligation to offer to share wine with tablemates, just as I would not if we happened to order beers or cocktails instead.

I guess we've been at tables that have done just about every variation. At a couple of larger table.....4 couples....we and other couples have bought or brought wine and not shared. I don't recall it was a problem then and I'd not have a problem with that in the future. On our most recent cruise we were at a table for 4, just us and another couple. Turns out they'd brought 6 bottles for the 10-day cruise. I don't remember the exact sequence but they offered to share and we bought for the table to cover the nights where they didn't have a bottle or one or two nights they offered but we were eating something that didn't go with their wine so we bought our own....hard to explain and make it sound fair and friendly but it was and it all worked out. The wine flowed freely and liberally most nights, with more than one bottle shared and/or purchased. :)

We've been at all sizes of tables. We don't order wine every night especially if we just came for the Captain's reception or had drinks elsewhere. Each couple always ordered drinks or not without offering to share. We even traveled once with my DW's sister and hubby and we always ordered separately because we all have different tastes, some order wine, some mixed drinks. My DW and I order different types so we rarely get a bottle.

Recently, a tablemate had a birthday and the DH had some champagne delivered and offered all around.

Archived