Corfu, Greece

We are cruising western med with five kids from 7-13. Yes, I know, ha! Anywho, great educational experience. My sister wants to go to some waterpark and I'm thinking hey I can do that in the States. But, she says we are gonna be taking the kids to many educational experiences and this would be a needed break for them. Is there something we should not miss in Corfu, or a reason to skip this park? Thanks

We are cruising western med with five kids from 7-13. Yes, I know, ha! Anywho, great educational experience. My sister wants to go to some waterpark and I'm thinking hey I can do that in the States. But, she says we are gonna be taking the kids to many educational experiences and this would be a needed break for them. Is there something we should not miss in Corfu, or a reason to skip this park? Thanks

I've been there twice...for two nights on a "non-cruise" trip, then again as a port stop off the Millennium...

...and I never bothered with a "Water Park"...

I'm with you, why waste your precious time in Europe on something you can do at home...

Corfu is a marvelous little island...

The kids may just enjoy climbing and exploring the two forts that frame the old city...

I enjoyed visiting the Achilleion Palace, but, yes, that MIGHT bore the kids...Otherwise, it IS worth seeing...

Shopping in the narrow streets of the old city is fun...

...And I'd suggest lunch at one of my favorite spots: "Pizza Pete's"...the restaurant is on the cliffs along the waterfront just south of the center of town (If you were standing at the harbor by the old city, looking inland, you'd follow the road along the coast to your left, up the hill onto the cliffs...(It's a very short walk)...The tables are on a patio on the left (sea side) of the road and the kitchen is on the right, across the street (the waiters dodge cars bringing you your food)...It has two names "Pizza Pete's" and something in Greek...and it is meant to look like two different restaurants, but it is really the same...Get a table right along the rail...The waiters toss leftover bread over the rail and the fish put on a show fighting for the table scraps...

Have fun...

Steve... Can you tell me where the port is in relation to the old town and this restaurant that you are talking about? Can you walk from the port into town?

Thanks for any information on this stop...

We walked from the port into the old city--it took us about 30 minutes, and in hindsight, I wouldn't walk it again, but would save my legs for actually walking around town.

Another thing the kids might enjoy (we did), especially if they're getting tired, is the little bus (it really looks like an open air train on wheels) that goes from the old city along the sea, and to some slightly outlying sites. I think it cost 3 euro and took about an hour. We were fascinated by a small church that was built in the year 1000 and is still being used.

Steve... Can you tell me where the port is in relation to the old town and this restaurant that you are talking about? Can you walk from the port into town?

Thanks for any information on this stop...

You actually could walk to town from the port...but the Millennium had a free shuttle (at least it did when we went)...The port is to the north of the old town...

Pizza Pete is right near the heart of the old city, but at the coast, slightly south Address: Arseniou 21. Tel: 06610 223301

I tried to find a decent map on the net...this was as good as I could find:

http://www.corfu-map.com/corfu-town-map.htm

It's hard to read anything, but a nice picture...

The ships dock off the map, sort of up and to the left...

Pizza Pete's is up and to the right of that old harbor area with the two park -like squares and the small boat docked...

Here's another map:

http://www.corfuxenos.gr/corfu/townmap.html

On that one, you can read the street name Arseiou at the top right...

Good luck...

We went to Corfu last August and it was towards the end of the trip (with pre-teens). It was raining in the AM so we went nto town - to be honest, for us it was our least favorite port experience...there were no special ruins to see (we did go to the old fort but IMO it was not anything really special) and the shopping was very touristy. It cleared up and in retrospect, we should have gone to the waterpark for a break.

I think it depends on how much touring you are going to do before you stop in Corfu - we did quite a bit and Corfu was the least memorable of all the ports. We had already been to Santorini, Mykonos, and Rhodes - all of which were spectacular in every aspect. Having said that, just being in the Greek Isles was wonderful.

Archived