Danube cruise questions

M&T

Are still and video cameras allowed in most buildings: Vienna Schoenbrunn, Vienna St. Stephans, Vienna Opera House, Prague St. Vitus, Budapest Matthias Church, etc. Do some places require a permit and fee? Is it only flash that is not permitted? Do any of the major sites have scaffolding? What kind of prices were there for meals? I have looked up a couple of restaurant sites for Prague, and the cost for the entree was $20-30. Is that what you found at most of the stops? What did u prince in Prague cost? Thanks for your help. Marlyne

No cameras were permitted in just a few places. In those situations, the guide specifically told us. J commented on that question in his lengthy review of our Mozart cruise. My (vague) recollection is that it was mostly in the Munich area palaces but there may have been a few others. Flash did not seem to be the concern. Our guide specifically said it was related to copyright issues. We do have photos from inside the Vienna State Opera House, so that's ok. (And it's wonderful!!)

I recall a few places with scaffolding, but there was only one that was major, I think. J took pictures anyhow, so you can skim through his to see if there was anything where you'll be going. Construction and, more particularly, reconstruction is constant, of course. Some of the scaffolding seemed to be protecting things from construction in nearby buildings, though that may have been merely my misperception.

Prices for meals varied, of course, depending on the level of dining you want. If you go somewhere that's aimed at tourists, the prices are a bit higher than if you wander around and find a restaurant for local residents. J noted a few of these in his review also.

J's review (under jgnova) is on this board, down below here somewhere, re our Mozart cruise April 2-9.

S

As stated by jgnova, prices vary considerably. We found Prague to be very reasonable, even cheap. But we usually search out more local type places and avoid the "touristy" spots, and we also generally go for more casual type places. We both had a great meal with 2-4 great Czech beers for a total of U.S. $30-35. Everything we ate there was wonderful.

Re: photos.

Schoenbrunn Palace, no. All churches, yes. You won't want to use flash on any interiors....your flash unit too weak to light up many of the interiors. If you use digital, set your ISO at 400 and shoot 1/10 wide open, then change shutter speed to 1/20 second. Not sure on video...not into that.

If you are careful and blend in with the rest of the tour you might be able to get a shot or two in Schoebrunn. You will get some super shots outside in the gardens. Just turn the flash off on ALL interiors. I got some great shots inside of St. Stephens in Vienna of the big pipe organ with out flash. Willard

No filming allowed, but both the Schoenbrunn and the Hofburg palaces are well worth visiting. We did both on our own and they are worth the price of admission. The gardens and fountain at Schoenbrunn are wonderful and you can take pictures and film. Enjoy!

Thanks. Has anyone done the Hungarian Plain with their cowboys? Was that a good experience? If you climbed up to the ruins at Durnstein, how long did it take and is it quite strenuous? In Budapest, we are doing a city tour on the day of arrival. It is a private tour for the group with which we are traveling. After checking into the hotel, we plan to go to Gerbeaud for a pastry and coffee. Then, we plan to walk up Vaci u visiting Vali Folklor Vaci u. 23, Folkart Centrum (look for circle w bird in center “Folkart” V Vaci u. 58. Items to buy: Zsolnay & Herend porcelain, table cloths, pillowcases, Ajka crystal, dolls, sheep skin vest. Look for handmade craftwork Transylvania (region of Romania heavily pop. W ethnic Hungarians) street vendors wearing black boots,dark red shirts, red or white kerchief tied around head. Walk on up to Central Market Hall, See the Inner Parish Church, Roman ruins, then walk along the Danube back to our hotel. This is our plan for the first day. It will be interesting to see what we actually do. Marlyne

Marlyne,

The walk up to the ruins at Duernstein is quite strenous. We did it in app. 20-25 min (we´re in our late 30ies, no experienced mountain walkers, no sports at all, our 6 years old DD was with us) but we do walk quite fast.

If you still don´t have enough from river cruising and don´t want to walk anymore try one of the local excursion boats in Budapest (http://www.legenda.hu/ we did this one). The have guided tours in different languages. You can go up to Margarets Island and have a break there for a walk and take the next boat back.

We did a Puszta tour to Lajosmizsa and the Tanyaczárda horse farm. It was really great. We were greeted by a horse rider in a typical costume who led us to the parking lot. At the farm we got some apricot schnaps and some spiced yeast bread. Then we watched the riders "rounding-up" the horses. We all boarded a horse carriage which brought us to the main exercise place. There was the main part of the show with white stallions, a rider on five horses, carriage demonstrations, a donkey, riders showing how to let the horses sit down, riders chasing each others and more. Our tour included a lunch in the farm´s restaurant with music. So I think this was worth the money we spent.

The Folkart Centrum was really great. You might also find some stuff in the Market Hall (especially if you want to buy paprika). There was also a lot of "folkart" there in the upper floor. But I think even if it might be a little more expensive in the Folkart Centrum you can be sure that it´s real folkart made by Hungarians and not by Chinese :D . By the way if you stop in Bratislava there´s a similar shop there at the main place (Hlavné nám) opposite the town hall.

steamboats

Thanks so much. We do stop at Bratislavia, so I'll look for that store. We only have 3.5 hours in Durstein, so we may need to pass on that especially based on my arthritis. I like your idea about the cruise in Budapest. Because our river cruise leaves at night, taking a day cruise will be a different perspective. It is great to hear all about the horse show. We are on Amadeus Budapest to Prague. The group we are traveling with has booked rooms and tours in Budapest and Prague separate from Amadeus. For that reason, I don't know where the Amadeus people will be staying in Budapest and the Puszta tour will leave from their hotel. Anyone know what it is? Marlyne

Word of advice for anyone taking a Danube Cruise...... Buy the Rick Steve's Best of Eastern Europe..... we used it lots. His restuarants were very good and much cheaper than the ones in the tourist areas. Follow the advice, go a little of the strip and make sure they have a menu in American. He was right on almost always except for a restuarant in Prague that charged us for music.(They do try to rip you off there....count your money and be careful)

I did get the Rick Steves from the library and copied the pages I needed. We also have watched his dvd's for a lot of these areas. It is so fun. It was from one of his dvds that I realized I wanted to see Strahov Monestary in Prague. Marlyne

Yes, Dennis, I did see that post and will take that information with me on the trip. In Prague, did you go up in either of the Charles Bridge towers and do you recommend it? Marlyne

We did not go up in the towers, but if there is an elevator, I would try it.

You asked about steps up to the castle district in Budapest. I would reccomend the funicular. It was fun and easy, takes you right to a great overlook for Pest, and to the castle.

Dennis

Archived