Reaching Platinum Status

mariakitty

We now have two Princess cruises in the works, and I have been snooping around the Princess website and I really want to reach Platinum status. I am thinking about taking a couple of 2-4 day cruises on the west coast - has anyone else done this? I cannot find anything at princess.com that indicates the short cruises wouldn't count, and that free Internet access with Platinum (among other benefits) is really calling me! We have young boys at home so we like to keep in contact daily.

Any thoughts on this plan? Is Platinum really worth it (I think it is!)?

Its my understanding the short cruises count the same as a longer cruise toward reaching platinum status. The two things I have found nice about it are the free internet and the platinum check in line. Let's see...how many more do I need to take to get Elite.........

I'm pretty sure you get free internet access with Elite??

According to the princess website, free Internet is a Platinum level benefit, but of course Elite members get it as well. Too bad wireless isn't included, but I certainly wouldn't complain. :)

It seems that any cruise, even a very short cruise, counts as one cruise with Princess. So, taking those short repo cruises is what some do to gain status in the Captain's Circle.

Other than the free internet though, there really aren't that many perks for Platinum members. There is the Platinum lounge the day of debarkation, but we have rarely used it.

So, if you are interested in the free internet option, then I would go for those short cruises.

When the real perks start happening is after Elite is reached, 16th cruise and up. How we ever cruised without those perks is beyond me as they are great!

How does Princess count longer cruises, we have only been on 2 Princess cruises but one was 15 days and the other was 12 days. Our next one is a 17 day TA in Nov.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

How does Princess count longer cruises, we have only been on 2 Princess cruises but one was 15 days and the other was 12 days. Our next one is a 17 day TA in Nov.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

Each Princess cruise counts as one. Doesn't matter how long or how short.

My friend BDJAM says "days at sea" are counted for most passenger lunches, etc.

I think there is a semantical error there - Princess counts total days on board, not "days at sea", which could be interpreted as not counting days in port.

And yes, those short coastal cruises currently count in the past passenger program as much as one cruise lasting 28 days.

It has long been rumored that Princess might try and tweak the past passenger program and give some weight to those longer cruises, and yet protect those who qualified under the current program.

Princess counts the number of cruises towards reaching the different tiers within the program. The number of days "at sea" which is the correct terminology used by Princess is the total number of cruising days one has acheived which is used only for most travelled pax's for the prizes given out to the First, Second and Third most travelled travelled pax onboard at the final Captain Circle cocktail party. The total number of cruises determines if you make the cut off for the Most Travelled Elite Luncheons.

reaching elite is really where the perks start kicking in.

And yes Toto2kansas....how did we ever cruise without those perks?

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

My friend BDJAM says "days at sea" are counted for most passenger lunches, etc.

I think there is a semantical error there - Princess counts total days on board, not "days at sea", which could be interpreted as not counting days in port.

Yes..on board :) ....errr...OuiOnboard :D .

And its amazing what a difference a week can make for extra perks.

On my recent sailing on the Sapphire coastal LA to Vancouver it was a very experienced group of cruisers aboard going for an unusual route, there were 120+ Elite and several hundred Platnium aboard. They extended the "most travelled party" to about 50+ but the cutoff was a minimun of 275 days to qualify. As we were getting off I mentioned to the CC hostess that she would probably have a quieter week in Alaska. She smiled and said that there were 4 Eilte and 26 Platnium scheduled on that sailing! Should have stayed aboard and I might have been King!

And its amazing what a difference a week can make for extra perks.

On my recent sailing on the Sapphire coastal LA to Vancouver it was a very experienced group of cruisers aboard going for an unusual route, there were 120+ Elite and several hundred Platnium aboard. They extended the "most travelled party" to about 50+ but the cutoff was a minimun of 275 days to qualify. As we were getting off I mentioned to the CC hostess that she would probably have a quieter week in Alaska. She smiled and said that there were 4 Eilte and 26 Platnium scheduled on that sailing! Should have stayed aboard and I might have been King!

We were getting on that cruise as platinum members. DH had noticed in walking down the halls that there were very few platinum nametags on the doors. Now I understand why we got an invitation to the most travelled event with just over 90 days. It was a great event...11:30am for cocktails in the Wheelhouse with lots of yummies on the Sunday morning before we docked in Whittier.

We were also on the following cruise and again received an invitation, however the event was at 7pm in Explorers Lounge...after our dinner. We didn't attend that one...much preferred the morning party in a venue in the center of the ship as I had a pulled leg muscle at the time.

We had quite a conversation with the Captain's Circle gal while awaiting disembarkation. The days at sea have all been redone. They now have a system that is more accurate...so you might want to check your count. You have to call in for that or ask the representative on board as it is no where listed online.

OP, you asked if Platinum was worth it – if you use the Internet it certainly is. I like to check and answer email once a day – especially with family – also, it seems everyday I have a question about something that I want to look up on the Internet. It’s very easy to chew up 45 to 60 minutes in the Internet Café each day. Usually, after a late dinner or after the late show we stop and log on before heading back to the cabin. At $.35/min you’re talking about a $110 to $150 benefit for a 7 day cruise. As previously stated the internet is free to Platinum members. Additionally, Platinum has saved us a good 30 to 40 mins by-passing lines at check in. The lounge thing for disembarkation isn’t that big of a deal, but it is a lot less crowded and they have snacks and coffee. Heading toward Elite………..

We now have two Princess cruises in the works, and I have been snooping around the Princess website and I really want to reach Platinum status. I am thinking about taking a couple of 2-4 day cruises on the west coast - has anyone else done this? I cannot find anything at princess.com that indicates the short cruises wouldn't count, and that free Internet access with Platinum (among other benefits) is really calling me! We have young boys at home so we like to keep in contact daily.

Any thoughts on this plan? Is Platinum really worth it (I think it is!)?

The other posters have already answered your question re getting to platinium. There is a current thread " has anyone done a 3 day repo etc" on page 2 ( or pg. 3 by the time you read this) with answers to your question about 2-4 day cruises. The expert posters will be able to give you the link but alas I do not know how ....perhaps someone will see this and tell me how so next time I can direct someone to the appropriate link.

I am thinking about taking a couple of 2-4 day cruises on the west coast - has anyone else done this?

And not just 2-4 day - there are also 2 'one-day' cruisese this year! The first on was May 12 and the next is Sept 23. If you live close by, wait until less than 60 days before you book. These 1-day cruises always go on 'flash sale.' And yes... the one-day cruise counts as a 'cruise' towards Platinum/Elite status.

It doesn't matter if if you've taken a 21-day cruise or a 2-day cruise -- counts as the same thing. So those who live in areas where it's convenient to be able to take short overnight cruises have a huge advantage.

I have over 130 days cruising with Princess and I still have several cruises to go before I reach Elite. It's nice if you can take advantage of the short cruises but it's not really a fair system. :(

We now have two Princess cruises in the works, and I have been snooping around the Princess website and I really want to reach Platinum status.

Being Platinum is certainly nice. We are looking forward to Elite and that has the added perk we like.... free laundry. :D

I am thinking about taking a couple of 2-4 day cruises on the west coast - has anyone else done this? I cannot find anything at princess.com that indicates the short cruises wouldn't count, and that free Internet access with Platinum (among other benefits) is really calling me! We have young boys at home so we like to keep in contact daily. Any thoughts on this plan? Is Platinum really worth it (I think it is!)?

As mentioned by others, all cruises are counted as one, whether a 3 day coastal or a 28 day transpacific. The part I do not understand is why you would be willing to spend the cost of a 2-4 day, with the added air, just to get free internet to keep in contact with the kids. Sounds like you want to and are willing to spend $600-to-$800 to save $40 of internet charges. :confused:

I myself have though of doing them to experience a ship we haven't yet sailed.

We're scheduling an Alaska cruise in 2007. We currently have 3 done; the last of which was a 2 day repositioning cruise last month. If we do 2 more repositioning cruises, we'll be platinum for 2007.

Is it worth it? For us, yes, in part because we got the last one for less money than we would have spent on dinner during those two days. We live in the San Francisco area, so we only had one way airfare, and the way we set up our return (from Seattle not Vancouver) allowed us to meet a very close friend for dinner in Seattle. We're planning to do the Dawn Vancouver to SF repositioning cruise in Sept 06 (we were on the Dawn for our Honeymoon), and then we'll try to take advantage of another northbound repositioning cruise in May of 07.

The internet is valuable to us, as is expedited boarding, especially in SF, which was very slow last month. And, because we live on the west coast, airfare is pretty affordable.

abby

We're scheduling an Alaska cruise in 2007. We currently have 3 done; the last of which was a 2 day repositioning cruise last month. If we do 2 more repositioning cruises, we'll be platinum for 2007.

Is it worth it? For us, yes, in part because we got the last one for less money than we would have spent on dinner during those two days. We live in the San Francisco area, so we only had one way airfare, and the way we set up our return (from Seattle not Vancouver) allowed us to meet a very close friend for dinner in Seattle. We're planning to do the Dawn Vancouver to SF repositioning cruise in Sept 06 (we were on the Dawn for our Honeymoon), and then we'll try to take advantage of another northbound repositioning cruise in May of 07.

The internet is valuable to us, as is expedited boarding, especially in SF, which was very slow last month. And, because we live on the west coast, airfare is pretty affordable. abby

This still does not register to me logically. You are willing to spend the cost of the added repo cruises with flights (where you still have to stand in line because you are not Platinum) so you can have those perks on your 2007 Alaska cruise. :confused:

I understand you will enjoy the cruise, so do the cruise because you will enjoy it and get to see your friends. But it seems a lot (time and money) to go through if the only purpose is to avoid the line in 2007

Bottom line, you still have two more "sweat" lines to get through before the expedited boarding.

Archived